What Qualifies as HD on Tivo HD to get into HD Folder

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Microman66, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Microman66

Microman66 Member

Nov 28, 2004
    Is there a certain level of Aspect ratio, that gets dumped into HD folder. Is it 1080i? Thought I was recording alot more HD, but I guess not.

Any clarification would be appreciated

2. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    If the show is 720p or 1080i, it gets put in there. It doesn't matter if it is really 4:3 content that was broadcast with bars on the side.

3. aus1ander

aus1ander New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I'm not sure if this is true. On digital OTA stations, all SD content is upconverted to 720p or 1080i, depending on the network. For instance, Cops is broadcast in widescreen SD, upconverted to 720p on FOX. This is definitely not HD, but it is technically 720p in resolution. It does not show up in HD recordings folder.

The shows that do show up in that folder usually have the "HD" tag in their programming information (in the categories). Note that there is no reference to resolution. It is possible if Tribune *forgot* to put an HD tag on a show that is truly broadcast in HD that it wouldn't show up in the HD recordings folder.

So, to make a long post short: Only shows with guide information indicating it is an HD show will end up in the HD recordings folder.

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Not usually; always. This is the sole determinant whether something ends up in that folder.

Possible, and common. The reverse can also happen (bogus "HD" tags on SD programs).

5. HTH

HTH No Avatar Selected

Aug 28, 2000
    Lincoln, NE
    I've seen that on programming on HBOLAT and HBOLATP, two non-HD channels.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The program has to be marked as "HD" in the guide data. It doesn't matter if it's actually HD or not, if the data says it's HD it goes in the folder if not then it doesn't. I've personally seen errors going in both directions.

Dan