What price would you pay for a series 3?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Stormspace, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Jan 13, 2006 #1 of 103
    Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    For me, I'd have to say I might pay 300.00 before rebates. I'd settle for a stripped down version that supported CC, had two tuners, but no HD or built-in ethernet, with series 2 compatibility for that price as well.

This is for a monthly unit, of course.

2. Jan 13, 2006 #2 of 103
    shady

shady Previously European TCF Club

May 31, 2002
    Morgan...
    If I had to pay around $600, that wouldn't disappoint me. Maybe a little more if there is a period where we can transfer lifetime service to the box.

If the Comcast TiVo box was released at the same time, then obviously that would have an affect on what I might pay. The alternative would be to build a Pc or Linux based system which would be much more expensive, assuming Cablecard would be available for that.

PS - You should make this a pole

3. Jan 13, 2006 #3 of 103
    Riverdome

Riverdome Member

May 12, 2005
    Honestly for a HD Tivo that supports CC I would pay a lot. CC allows me to get rid of my cable box and eliminates all issues with channel changing. As long as I can upgrade the hard drive to allow for tons of HD content to be recorded I would pay quite a bit.

4. Jan 13, 2006 #4 of 103
    JohnTivo

JohnTivo Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Carlsbad, CA
    If the unit costs between $500 and $800, I'll buy two w/ lifetime. Any more than that, I'll stick with one unit.

5. Jan 13, 2006 #5 of 103
    rkester

rkester a rkester says what?

Jan 10, 2005
    tulsa area,...
    I sure hope its not $800!

Based on current items prices etc, I'd guess $500 or so probably with some nice rebates to get people interested. And I'd probably get one if that was the case.

6. Jan 13, 2006 #6 of 103
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I am going to try and hold out for 400$ after rebate, since I miss little now with my 4 TiVos and just use analog extended basic cable and SD.

how about adding a poll

7. Jan 13, 2006 #7 of 103
    jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Right now, not much as I don't have HD at home. I would still use this box to drive my SD Analog TV and replace my two S2 SAs, but it would have to be much lower than it is going to initially be.

Also as noted above, whatever happens with the TiVO on Comcast boxes will play a role......

I'm also monthly on both of my boxes (first one was that way for the WAF and we never switched, then the second stayed monthly to get the MSD).

So, if the comcast boxes with TiVO end up looking and feeling just like what I have now, those will be key possibilities for me.

8. Jan 13, 2006 #8 of 103
    HogarthNH

HogarthNH DirecTV Addict

Dec 28, 2001
    Somewhere, OK
    $500 w/ lifetime included. (or $199 without)
    I think that's the pricepoint required to achieve maximal market penetration.

No one else except the most devout TiVo looneys (of which I have been one) would pay more up-front capital for a box when they can lease a (admittedly substandard) DVR from virtually everyone else under the sun.

H

9. Jan 13, 2006 #9 of 103
    ChuckyBox

ChuckyBox New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    I'd be okay with $800 (though $600 would be nice) for the box.

Those of you who are hoping for sub $500 prices are probably going to have to wait a year or two -- I don't think TiVo is looking at this box as a high volume driver of new subscriptions, so they probably won't be willing to take a loss on the hardware to sell a box to a subscriber they already have. You might get a discount of some sort, but I doubt they'll do the deep-discount/rebate thing they're doing with the Series 2.

10. Jan 13, 2006 #10 of 103
    dadx2

dadx2 I am Hence I Tivo

Oct 14, 2002
    Silicon...
    I'm willing to pay $400 plus lifetime, anymore and I'll wait until the price comes down. But, I want my stand alone HD tivo! :D

11. Jan 13, 2006 #11 of 103
    mgar

mgar New Member

Feb 13, 2005
    San Joaquin...
    I would like to see it below $800 including lifetime. I could buy it at this price, but I am concerned that multi-room viewing may not operate between series 2 and series 3. If this is the case, then I will need to keep running my two old TiVo's as well. I mention MRVing because there is some speculation that lifetime may be transferable from a series 2 to a series 3.

12. Jan 13, 2006 #12 of 103
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The big question will be monthly fee. I don't see how they are going to market this box with the current monthly fee. Since it will require users (who want digital) to rent a cablecard (and most people will want two), its going to be hard to keep the current price point. Asking people to invest a lot of money into a box and then still pay almost twice the current montly fee of a hd dvr from the cable money is going to be a hard sell. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

13. Jan 13, 2006 #13 of 103
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    but they can return cable boxes and swap them for the cable card(s). People pay extra for digital cable, just the way it is and not TiVo's problem.

now selling a 700$ or whatever box with 12$ monthly or 300$ lifetime will be TiVo's problem, but for those that do not want that then get an SD TiVo and a cable box for much less adn give up HD as that will also cost more if you want it

14. Jan 13, 2006 #14 of 103
    Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Contra sceleris

Mar 29, 2005
    TivoPony said the S3 would not be $50. I do understand that a 250GB drive really is minimum for an HD DVR, and historically the price of those drives have forced such dvrs up into the ranges being discussed. However, the prices of these drives has plummetted, so I am questioning why people are assuming super high price points. Is it simply because
    • audience is the high end segment- it's a price what the market will bear
    • early adoption price- production runs not high, manufacturing cogs still high etc. but will come down in time as with S2.0 going to S2.5 efficient production design
    • amortization of expensive developement costs,
    • inherently expensive hardware that folks think have to be in the S3 box
    I see extra costs there, sure. There are some neat new chips being used. But will the chip count be significantly higher, and does $10 more for two of the key chips mean that the entire box has a manufacturing cost that is 4X the S2?
    Until we know more about the guts of this puppy, it is impossible to speculate. I just see the possibility that S3 architecture machines could be sold at a very low price point. Whether that is the box that TivoPony showed is another question. Maybe an S3 minus cablecard slots and plus some analog connectors is what Tivo sells after the 2007 digital switchover- after which time they may not sell the S2 without a converter.

15. Jan 13, 2006 #15 of 103
    Justin Thyme

Mar 29, 2005
    I thought the fees for Time warner and Comcast were like $2/month for cablecard. Where are you getting this "pay almost twice" estimate. Is there a table somewhere of cableco charges for CC?

16. Jan 13, 2006 #16 of 103
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    he was referring to the TiVo monthly fee vs the Cable co DVR fee

17. Jan 13, 2006 #17 of 103
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
  18. Jan 13, 2006 #18 of 103
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Well, my cable co. charges $2.99 for each cable card (last I checked). So thats $6+$12.95. I currently also pay $9 for my Moxi box. So it will be almost twice as much.

As for Zeo saying you have to pay extra for the box and for the digital cable, that is somewhat true. I pay for digital cable and the moxi box (includes dvr fee). Even with a cablecard you will still be paying for digital cable as well so that is not a factor. Like I said, I think it will be a hard sell to get users to pay a lot for this box given the current monthly fees associated with it.

19. Jan 13, 2006 #19 of 103
    ChuckyBox

ChuckyBox New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    Actually, until we know more about the guts of this puppy, all we can do is speculate.

But, if you were to visit TiVo HQ, and during your visit a small fire were to start in a wastebasket, and unbeknownst to you during the confusion one of the Series 3 prototypes were to accidentally fall into your shoulder bag, and upon arriving home the box were to fall out of your bag, causing the top to pop off directly in front of your web cam, well, then we might have something to go on. (Upon realizing what had happened, you would, of course, rush the box back to TiVo and apologize profusely for the perfectly-understandable accident. I'm sure they'd forgive you and you'd all go out for a beer and laugh about the whole thing.) I'm not saying that it should happen, just that it could happen. :D

20. Jan 13, 2006 #20 of 103
    Justin Thyme

Mar 29, 2005
    Well, speculate in the sense of making educated guesses. It is more in the province of making wild ass/ crackpot guesses- something that I personally relish since I am not constrained much by reality. If it is safe to assume this is a broadcom design, there is probably not a huge list of candidate chips, and we could have some fun doing an armchair design of the S3.

I really think most folks would tune out at the first mention of data busses and transfer speeds...