What plays .tivo files?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by rasmasyean, Aug 15, 2011.

1. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    For some reason, I can't get a Windows XP netbook to play .Tivo files with sound. It doesn't have any sound no matter what I tried. It seems that it can also play .mpg files after the TiVo Desktop install (without sound) as well. I don't know why.

What are other players I can use to play .tivo files?

2. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    If you cant get sound from an .mpg file, you need to address that first, then it is likely TiVo Desktop will handle the .tivo files.

Can you play DVDs w/sound?

3. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    It's a netbook...which doesn't have a DVD player. But It plays the sample music fine and it can even stream the sample .wav files from the Public folder on my big computer fine.

And I tried to uninstall (or restore the old version), and reinstall the WMP 11, then TiVo Desktop "Repair"...which I guess reloads the .tivo codec. It still doesn't have sound.

4. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    try getting ac3filter if your TiVo files come from a series 3 or higher. Also, there is a sticky thread in the home media forum here for TiVo Desktop codec issues that you should also look into.

5. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Damn, this software really blows.

I tried to install TiVo Desktop on ANOTHER netbook and WMP doesn't even play it at all. And when launching a plain .mpg file, it says that it can't play it.

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The tivo files is a .mpg container. You could get TiVoDecode to decode to .mpg, kmttg has it already if you have that.

7. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
  8. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    My Win XP Pro workstation didn't come with any DVD software at all. Tivo2Go files (.tivo) wouldn't play, at first, nor would DVDs. I downloaded and installed the K-Lite Codec Pack (6.6.0 standard) and now I can play .tivo files, plus DVDs, inside of Windows Media Player 11. No problems. I've got video and audio.

My netbook, a 3-year-old Acer Aspire One w/ XP Home actually came with DVD software (InterVideo WinDVD), even though it doesn't have an optical drive. .tivo files and DVDs played right out of the box, audio and video (I rip DVDs on my workstation and then transfer them to my netbook over my home network. I like to watch .tivo files and ripped DVDs on my netbook when I travel). I'm using WMP 9 on this box.

[edit] Looks like K-Lite standard is up to 7.6.0. I'll just stick with my old version. It works. VLC also works to play DVDs after I installed the K-Lite Codec Pack on my workstation, but not .tivo files. The DRM thing, I think. If I convert the .tivo to pure .mpg, then VLC will work.

9. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    No need for multiple threads on the same subject, you're missing a few CODECs and as mentioned in the other thread you can use directshow dump to turn them in to MPEG.

I've never had any issues with playing Tivo files.
    Your issue is the XP netbooks, not the Tivo Desktop software.

10. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Well...the Tivo Software DOES say that it works with XP. So one should be able to assume that you can expect it to launch into WMP (on XP) without a problem. No where does it say you need the additional step to scour the internet for "codecs" to complement the one installed by TD. And in ANOTHER XP netbook I installed it on, it launched into WMP but didn't play anything at all!

As a matter of fact, for a "consumer friendly device" this product has given me so many problems that I'm seriously thinking of dumping it. Even if I get this to work and that to work, I have some serious doubts about whatever future enhancements the TiVo team is capable of. It just seems they don't do their due diligence on this product.

11. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Remember, there is a 30 day guarantee. If you cannot figure out how to work it to your satisfaction, return it and be done with it. Maybe it's time to go with "plan B".

I have had Tivo desktop running flawlessly for years on 3 out of 4 pc's. One has codec issues and won't play the files. That tells me the issue is with the pc, not Tivo desktop.

Good luck.

12. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Desktop works great on XP, but as noted on the page where you download it:

"* Viewing shows on your computer requires appropriate audio and video codecs to be installed on your system, such as the ones included in the upgrade to TiVo® Desktop Plus or with software to play DVDs."

XP never had MPEG-2 or AC3 codecs. Vista and Win 7 have them if you use Home Premium or Professional. If you buy the Plus upgrade to Desktop it has everything you need. That money goes straight to MainConcept, who wrote them. There are several free options too as others have already posted.

13. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    This is more a fault of the netbook manufacturers, not TiVo.

14. janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
  15. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    If that was such a common problem, they should say something like "note that Windows XP Netbooks blah blah...and you may have to bah blah...". That's what I'm saying. You can even do that during the install! I mean, you can go through hoops to figure out these things yourself and figure out why the menus lag when using wireless, etc. But for a product that "started it all" you'd figure that they cover the grounds for common problems and shove it in your face so you know first hand.

But my cable provider rents these boxes now and are phasing out the old DVR's (small HD). Maybe since they're "customized" the TiVo is a bit nerfed too for it's price considering it doesn't do Hulu and Netflix and prolly a whole lot of other things. I'm thinking of just building my own WMC and buying one of those HD Home Runs or something when they come out. There's a bit more up front costs this way, but you save some money over the years in addition to having more flexibility.

16. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    It is not a common problem, but it does come up from time to time, especially when dealing with video files. Search codec and you'll find millions of sites. Clearly your netbooks were not meant to be multi-media machines as these were not included.

I'll point out that building a WMC with a dvr is much more difficult than figuring out that you need a few codecs. Could be a fun project, no doubt, but certainly not something you do with the "easy" button.

Also, from one of your earlier posts
    - buy a premiere for what it does now, not for what it may do in the future.

17. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll look into all of them when I get a chance. At this point I DL'ed KMTTG and it seems to be extremely superior to Tivo Desktop...which is amazing that an "open source" project, prolly done by basically ONE college student or something, is so much better than a commercial class software that is supposed to be the primary interface for their flagship product. :rolleyes:

I mean, you always hear about "TiVo" in common language. Especially talking about DVR's... "It's like a TiVo", and the brand stands out in language even if ppl never seen one. But now that I actually use one, I'm not all that impressed, tbh.