What, only a 10 base connection?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by steveo442, Mar 13, 2011.

1. steveo442

steveo442 New Member

Mar 13, 2011

Advertisements

I just received my brand new Tivo Premier and everything is working fine.

I did however notice that my router is reporting only a 10base ethernet connection to my Tivo Premier. This seems rather slow and outdated since everything today is at least 100base or gigabit connection speed.
    I can't seem to find any specs on what ethernet card is installed in the Premier? Being that you can buy a Wireless N adaptor from Tivo I would think it should connect at either 100base or gigabit speeds?

Please comment
    Thank's
    Steve:confused:

2. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    It has a 100mbps Ethernet connection. You have a wiring, connection, or tivo hardware problem.

3. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    It is 100BASE-T. I routinely get 80+ Mbps for MRV transfers between Premieres which is proof enough regardless of specs. Try a different/better cable.

4. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    Your cable needs to be at least cat5. I JUST went through the exercise of replacing all of my cat3 wiring with cat6. I know I can't get gigabit out of my tivo, but while I was pulling cable I went with the best available.

5. deandashl

deandashl New Member

Aug 8, 2008

Advertisements

I'm 100 here. The switch light is ON.

6. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    Should have been Gb in my opinion.

7. deandashl

deandashl New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    All my cables are cat-6 as well. The cost is small compared to cat-5, anyway and I know I can use/reuse these cables basically, relatively speaking....forever.

8. jmill

jmill New Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Marketing at its best :)

Why exactly do you need 1Gbps connection in your TiVo? The fastest your hard drive can read/write is about 80MB/s, so getting 1Gbps will not do you any good. Futher, processor in your TiVo is not powerfull enough to even keep up with 80MB/s speed, so in real life you're getting about 50-60MB/s in HD.

9. ncfoster

ncfoster Member

Jan 22, 2011
    What I'd really like is for all of my devices in my home network to be gigabit and jumbo frame compatible, which would lower the processor overhead on all of the machines...and I want all the pretty lights on my routers and switches to be the same color. :)

10. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I absolutely guarantee I can transfer files much faster (4 minutes versus 20 minutes for example) between two PCs connected with gigabit than I can two PCs connected with 100Mbps connections, so you need to examine your hard drives or something.

On the tivo, it wouldn't surprise me if the processor couldn't keep up though.

11. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Yes with a single green hard drive I routinely get 800 to 900mbps throughput between PCs. From my three and two Drive RAID 0 setups and velociraptors I easily saturate my gigabit network with transfers from them.

12. curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Especially since we *just* got a bump from ~25mbps to ~95mpbs moving from Series3/HD platform to Premiere. It's easily the single best thing about the Premiere. Gigabit was too much to ask for, especially with all the other problems and unfinished business on the clearly rushed Premiere platform.

13. steveo442

steveo442 New Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Thank's guys for all the responses.
    I'm still a bit confused because I havce tried different CAT 5 and CAT 6 cables between my router and the Premier. It continues to show me only a 10Base connection..
    My router is a brand newNetGear N600 Dual band Gigabit router with the latest firmware installed. All of my other connected devices are showing a gigabit or 100Base connection but not the Tivo Premier. I also have a Series 3 HD that I am retireing and that only shows a 10Base connection also.
    Very strange!

14. retiredqwest

retiredqwest Member

Sep 7, 2010
    I have a WNDR3700 and the lights on the wired ports work as follows.

LAN (Ports 1–4)
    Solid Green The LAN port has detected a 1 Gbps link with an attached device.
    Blinking Green Data is being transmitted at 1 Gbps.
    Solid Amber The LAN port has detected a 10/100 Mbps link with an attached device.
    Blinking Amber Data is being transmitted at 10/100 Mbps.
    Off No link is detected on this port.

You'll notice the 10/100 are the same color.

15. steveo442

steveo442 New Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Yes, You are soooo-- right.
    I don't know where I got the wrong info on the connection lights?
    Thank's very much!!!!:):):)
    Have a great day,
    Steve

16. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I understand that some devices that connect to the internet in the background, like a TiVO, are set to lower speed so that it doesn't jam up your bandwidth (keep in mind some people still have 720Kbps DSL) if you happen to be on the PC surfing the web. I don't know for a fact that is the case with TiVo's, but they could have software that checks the speed of your connection and set the TiVo connection to co-exist with your internet browsing on the PC.

I have a TiVo in my office, and I can tell you that while it is often downloading video content (my router indicates this along with the TiVo blue light), I can still do a lot of heavy internet browsing and internet downloads at the same time using my 3Mbps connection and not experience a diminished internet browse and download experience. In fact, at first, I was surprised it didn't seem to hog the bandwidth ever. I would guess TiVo designs it to function based on our broadband connection.

17. jcostom

jcostom New Member

Mar 6, 2002
    You seem to be quite confused about the difference between Megabits and Megabytes. You mean 50-60 MB/sec, not Mb/sec. You're off by a factor of 8.