What ONE feature makes you want a Series 3 TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by RickStrobel, Sep 13, 2006.

1. RickStrobel

RickStrobel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2000

Advertisements

What is the number 1 reason you bought (or are considering buying) a S3? Also, please don't thread-crap. If you're not getting one or waiting because it won't do MRV, is too expensive, etc. etc. please refrain from posting in this thread. What's the numero uno thing for you? Keep it positive.

Don't list number 2, 3, etc. Just focus on the very top feature or aspect of the Series 3 that you're excited about.

Here's mine: Playback smoothness

OK, that's probably a crappy description. I've got a Motorola DCT6412 (and two TiVos of course). With the Moto you're never sure if it got the command. Sometimes it responds quickly to a pause or FF command. Sometimes it doesn't respond at all -- which really sucks trying to FF in a football game and you zoom past the next plays at 4X.

My Tivos by contrast give me so much control. The comfortable feel of the remote and the button placements... the ease of popping the 30 second skip button a time or two and the replay button once. My TiVos respond instantly. It's the difference between driving a great big Ford Crown Vic where the big boxxy car floats all overr the road and driving a Ferarri.

OK, that's mine. What's yours. REMEMBER - ONE THING - THE TOP ITEM PLEASE - FOCUS.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Easy.... Recording HD using TiVo interface.

Dan

3. andydumi

andydumi Fish. Butt.

Jun 26, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Ditto...

4. cmannes

cmannes New Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Minnetonka, MN
    Haven't gone HD yet, because my S1 & S2 tivo's wouldn't record HD.

My S3 will.

Ding!

Chris M.

5. eisenb11

eisenb11 Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Redondo...

Advertisements

native output

I'd go nuts if they supported control via automation systems.

6. fergiej

fergiej More hair, less 30lb

Oct 9, 2002
    Atlanta
    It's not a Comcast moto 3412...;)

Seriously, I can't wait to get back into a TiVo, esp one with moe than 12 hours of recording time.

7. bdraw

bdraw Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Record HD cable with TiVo

8. cheerdude

cheerdude Reed & Juliet's CPA

Feb 27, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    +1 as well

For now, this will only be recording HD (so I won't be too upset if I can only get 1 CC to work). I am still keeping my Series 2 for the brunt of the recording.

9. tunnelengineer

tunnelengineer New Member

Jul 21, 2006
    REcording HD cable on 2 tuners!

10. sharding

sharding Member

Feb 11, 2001
    Seattle/East...
    Reliable HD recording. My Comcast 3412 is so flaky that I can't trust it to record important things. I actually have my Series2 in the bedroom recording all of our important series as a backup, because the 3412 has screwed us too many times. That alone makes the S3 worth it in my mind. The rest is icing on the cake.

11. quango

quango Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Macon, Georgia
    Any HD recording; Moxis are scarce in my Charter market (and I hear nothing but horror stories about them anyway).

12. stekson

stekson New Member

Oct 25, 2004
    same

13. sommerfeld

sommerfeld Lucky (?) 200 member

Feb 26, 2006
    Freedom of choice in program sources. Today I have choice between comcast and RCN, and Verizon FIOS will make three; I also get decent OTA digital reception. I can switch providers without needing to change out the DVR.

14. RickStrobel

RickStrobel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2000
    Do'h! HD recording of course. What about HD recording do you like? There are other HD recorders out there like the crappy Moto from my cable company.

15. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Storage expandability

(yes, I know the S3 doesn't have it right now, but I'm confident that it will soon be available...and even out of the box it has more storage than my Comcast 3412)

16. bsather

bsather Member

Sep 8, 2006
    WI
    To replace Charter's Moxi....called to have it replaced because it's slow as a snail...plus recording two HD shows at the same time is iffy at best. Was told they have no more, even as replacements for defective units. Ordered 2 cable cards with no questions.

17. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    Reliable recording of OTA HD.

18. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The difference in picture quality between HD and my S2 TiVos is night and day for me. And this year the majority of programming is going to HD, so the more HD I can get the better. My crappy Moxi only holds 12 hours of HD, so right now I have to pick and choose what I record in HD. With a couple of S3s I'll have some breathing room and be able to record everything in HD.

Dan

19. shady

shady Previously European TCF Club

May 31, 2002
    Morgan...
    Easy.... Recording HD using TiVo interface.

20. SLCMike

SLCMike New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    HD recording with TiVo's superior interface.