What network router is everyone using for Tivo Mini's?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by zig1977, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Jan 8, 2018 #1 of 19
    zig1977

zig1977 New Member

Jan 8, 2018

Advertisements

I am new to the board, but have been reading for years... I've been a Tivo user since Series 1.. I now have a Premiere XL4 with 1 mini. I about to order a second mini for the basement. But thinking of future Tv's. I am also in the market for a new wifi router at home. It seems difficult to to find anything with more than 4 ports. That only leaves me with 4 tv's. I might have 5 some day and want to try and future proof the network. What kind of setup's are everyone using for multiple tivo mini's? Or am I going to have to just go with a Moca for expansion? I don't mind running e-net to each tv, so I was trying to keep everything on one network...

Thanks for any help!

2. Jan 8, 2018 #2 of 19
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    What's your budget?

It's not impossible to find a router with 5 Ethernet posts, just not cheaply. See Netgear R9000.

3. Jan 8, 2018 #3 of 19
    m.s

m.s Active Member

Mar 8, 2007
    For $20 you can get an 8 port switch to add another 7 ports to your "router."

JBDragon, DrewTivo and slowbiscuit like this.
  4. Jan 8, 2018 #4 of 19
    zig1977

zig1977 New Member

Jan 8, 2018
    I am open on the budget. I know that they do get a bit pricey with that in mind... I've ready some bad reviews lately on netgear. But I guess as long I buy from a legitimate source that I can use the warranty with it could be worthwhile. Not sure if there if there is another good brand also?

I had thought that you could not use a switch with the mini's? Years back with the first mini I bought, I had it hooked through a switch and it was real choppy. I contacted Tivo support and they stated that it had to be hooked directly to the router for it to work. And it does work good now that it is hooked directly to my 4 port router...

Thanks for the replies!

5. Jan 8, 2018 #5 of 19
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

I use a Netgear R8000. But the switch would be more cost effective. Perhaps someone using a switch can point you to one that works with a Mini.

Usually everyone thinks their brand of router is the best. :)

6. Jan 8, 2018 #6 of 19
    Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    2 Netgear R7000 with many gHz 4,5,8 port hubs.

7. Jan 8, 2018 #7 of 19
    m.s

m.s Active Member

Mar 8, 2007
    The 4 ports on the "router" are a switch. It's a wireless AP (access point), a NAT gateway ("router") and a 4 port switch, all in one box. TiVos work fine with switches - some of the managed switches (with web interface/configuration) support multicast snooping and pruning ("IGMP snooping"), but they do it wrong and keep the TiVos from finding each other. For those, you can usually turn it off in the configuration to fix the problem. Simple unmanaged switches are unlikely to have that "feature," so should just work.

8. Jan 8, 2018 #8 of 19
    eric102

eric102 Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Asus RT-AC88U, 8 ports and its been perfect since plugging it in over a year ago. Has never needed a reboot or reconfigure since then.

9. Jan 8, 2018 #9 of 19
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    ^^^ this ^^^ ... just add a switch to expand the number of Ethernet LAN ports.

Further, I'd recommend moving all your TiVo device connections to this standalone switch, so that they could all continue communicating with each other, even through a router reboot.

JBDragon likes this.
  10. zig1977

zig1977 New Member

Jan 8, 2018
    Thanks for the input. I like the specs on that router. That may be a good one to buy. I am looking for a decent router anyway and the features look good for the price..

JoeKustra likes this.
  11. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    One thing, which I recommend is to check and update the firmware of any router at least every 6-12 months. Although some don't recommend this, most updates these days seem to include some kind of "security" fixes, which are important for me.
    RT-AC88U | Networking | ASUS USA

krkaufman likes this.
  12. stonewallers

stonewallers Member

Apr 8, 2010
    I recently upgraded by network (got rid of some linksys devices that constantly caused problems with tivo). I have a mostly tp-link network now and it works well so far. Router: TP-Link AC3150 ($140, I think there is faster 8 antenna version that is cheaper, but the difference may be that the 2nd version of this router ($199) has alexa capabilities?). I also have a 4 port (TP-Link TL-SG1005D $17) and 8 port (TP-Link TL-SG1008D $20) switch. The final pieces are a couple of linksys wireless extenders (Linksys N600 Pron refurbished for $20 , got before my switch to TP-link). The extenders are used as ethernet ports for my minis. They do tend to cut out when the phone rings but come right back online.

I'd prefer the savings of a 4 port router and a $20 switch. It has the advantage of splitting some of the load off of the router's CPU. I've seen arguments for both side as to which handles large files faster but don't know enough to evaluate. Depending on home setup, a remote switch with one cable run might be cleaner. That was the case for me since I had two longer cable runs and then two remote switches.

13. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    I have had this router for several years (along with another router in my livingroom in "access point" only mode, along with a couple of 8 port gig-e switches)
    RT-AC56U | Networking | ASUS USA

And about 2 years ago, I added these as hotspots, disabling the built in wi-fi in my primary router, and dumping the livingroom router.
    Ubiquiti Networks - UniFiĀ® AP AC LITE

This creates a great wi-fi system with seamless handoffs, guest networks and a whole lot of customization if desired. And it's a lot cheaper than any of the mesh systems.
    But you do have to have wiring to all these pieces.

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    If the switch is working properly it won't matter. I've run minis through five switches. They work just as well whether going through five switches or one. Just like any device I have on my network.

I use Asus routers/APs and Dlink switches on my home network,

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  15. samsauce29

samsauce29 Active Member TCF Club

Nov 30, 2007
    Erie, PA
    Planning to hardwire my downstairs TiVo (currently using MoCA) to see if it helps YouTube and Hulu issues that I've been having.

Would anyone happen to have the specific switch part numbers? I feel like I've read here that the "green" switches can have problems. For now, I'm just looking for a 5-port switch. Thanks in advance for any help.

16. m.s

m.s Active Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Here's one. It's 8 port, but only a bit more than $21. There's a 5 port ("Amazon's Choice"!) for $17.

samsauce29 likes this.
  17. samsauce29

samsauce29 Active Member TCF Club

Nov 30, 2007
    Erie, PA
    Thank you. I'll give that 5 port a try.

18. DrewTivo

DrewTivo Member

Mar 29, 2005
    So you can use these with your regular router - you don't have to get the Ubiquiti router/equipment?

19. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Yes, just turn off the wi-fi feature of your current router.
    You'll also need to run two utilities on a computer on your network, one utility discovers the hotspots, and the other utility administers the system via a webpage portal to that utility running on the computer. The first utility you only need to run when installing new spots, the second only when you want to administer it, it does not need to run full time, unless you want logging on a full time basis.

DrewTivo likes this.