What minimal level of service is required for HR10-250 to work in OTA mode only

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by shaown, Jan 21, 2006.

1. shaown

shaown Member

Jun 30, 2002
    So... is it TC + DVR fee? Is there a suspend service option that will leave it working with only OTA? I ask, because when I get my Series 3, I either have to get a 2nd Series 2 at 6.95 a month, or leave my HR10-250 somehow active to record OTA HD only (my 2nd Tivo right now is a SD DirecTivo, but I realize I have 4 way conflicts only on the major nets..).
    I'd love to have a way to have my eventual config be:
    - Series 3 Tivo with Cable
    - HR10-250 with OTA only

Current Config is
    - HR10-250 with Sat/OTA
    - Series 2 DirecTivo
    -Shaown

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Any package... with the DVR service added to it. So TC or maybe the new family package they just announced... Not sure if an exclusive international package, DVR service can be added to it or not.

(Also, don't assume that TiVo is going to keep their fee structure the same when the T3 is released... )

3. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    I think you can get a single local channel a la carte for about $2 a month, but to do so you have to pay a $5 monthy maintenance fee. I know you can do this on a commercial account, because my company does it and has for years. That is a fee that is waived if you sub to a larger package.

They don't advertise this, just like cable companies don't advertise that you can get a lifeline cable service for about 10-18 bucks, and they have to give you that if you demand it, per the FCC. The family tier might also be an upcoming option. If you ask the right questions and press them hard, you will eventually get what you want.

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I don't think DirecTV has the a la carte option for residential service.
    Dish Network does.

5. Lee L

Lee L Got Basenji?

Oct 1, 2003
    Morrisville, NC
    It will be interesting as I might just have to go this route when the Series 3 is out unless D* really steps it up and comes out with a HD DVR much much better than the R15. Although I might have to have TC anyway as my Cable Co does not currently have Bravo and ther is no way we could do without it.