What is the sports pack good for???

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by dukehoops, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Jan 6, 2005 #1 of 67
    dukehoops

dukehoops New Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I subscribed to the sports pack when I began DTV more than two years ago. I think my main reason (aside for being a sports fan in general) was that the golf channel was only available via the sports pack. Now it is included in the total choice plus pkg.

Is there any point to the sports pack?? It seems like all the regional channels play the same games, and if they don't then they are usually blacked out. I am realizing that I was tossing $12/month for more than two years.

2. Jan 6, 2005 #2 of 67
    PDPnNJ

PDPnNJ New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Passaic, NJ
    The only channel that hold some value there, is NBA TV.

3. Jan 6, 2005 #3 of 67
    tony touch

tony touch Nice and Smooth

Jul 16, 2004
    Atlanta
    I like the access to regional sports networks because of sports news shows. I moved from Boston to Atlanta for grad school in August, and having New England Sports Network let me keep up on the recent success of the Red Sox and Patriots.

4. Jan 6, 2005 #4 of 67
    sabre

sabre New Member

Sep 30, 2004
    I subscribed when baseball season started and found out every game was blacked out. So to me the only benefit of the sports package was the ability to watch the best damm sports show 24 hours straight. Seeing that I dont like that show I quickly canceled.

5. Jan 6, 2005 #5 of 67
    JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    Absolutley nothing!!

6. Jan 6, 2005 #6 of 67
    Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze Back by popular demand

Nov 1, 2002
    The 75006...
    Just of the top of my head..

Fox Sports World (613) for superb soccer coverage.
    I think OLN as well, which had the Tour de France.

But apart from that, you don't get a lot of the games without a special subscription package.

7. Jan 6, 2005 #7 of 67
    Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Nor Cal
    Got a friend who just signed up for DirecTV and he figured out the same thing a week into his ownership. The main reason he signed up for the sports pack was to watch out of market games from where he used to live and found out that most of the regional Fox channels were blacked out to him. He called and and asked them what the point of the package was and they gave him 10 dollars off the package for 6 months. He figures that 12.99 is way too much to pay, but it's worth 3 dollars. Maybe something similar would work for you. He also pointed out that the language on the website says you will get ALL the sports action of 20 regional sports networks and there is no "subject to blackout disclaimer that he could find. That was part of his argument and he says the CSR caved pretty quickly.

Dirk

8. Jan 6, 2005 #8 of 67
    freddyf

freddyf New Member

Mar 1, 2002
    OLN is in the "plus" package as well. The other outdoor network is in the sports package.

But I agree, FSW is the only thing worth paying for in the sports package. And it's only worth paying for if you're a fan of international soccer.

9. Jan 6, 2005 #9 of 67
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Once the Golf Channel was moved to TV Plus, I dropped the sports pack. I get enough sports from the other channels.

10. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    The regional fox sports are nice if you have a certain team you like. NBA TV too. I would never pay separately for the sports pack. I have the premiere package, because of the $25/mo off deal.

11. Rkkeller

Rkkeller Well-Known Member

May 13, 2004
    I have SP's for about 10-15 shows on the sports channels. There are a lot of gambling (blackjack/poker) type shows, a lot of non mainstream wrestling shows (TNA, Maximum, IWF), Guns & Ammo TV and a few other gun related shows, Womens Beach Volleyball when in season, fitness shows with some hot babes like Fitness Beach, etc....

Rich

12. dylanursula

dylanursula Two R10s and a DVR40

Jan 4, 2005
    Hey folks

I am from England and would love to watch the Barclays Premiership Football aka soccer inthe US. How do I find out what games they play and have played on Fox Sports World this season as the directTV website doesnt show anything more than 1 game.

D

13. Directvlover

Directvlover Go Huskers!

Apr 12, 2004
    It's completely worthless...everything is always blacked out....i've found most of directv's premium services are just as crappy. That is the one area where cable beats directv.

14. frankygamer

frankygamer Member

Mar 18, 2002
    If your in a region with multiple (overlapping) RSNs, Sports Pak will let you view the alternate RSNs. For example I get Fox sports Chicago but I'm also eligible for Fox sports North and Midwest. Sports Pak lets me get North and Midwest.

15. EMoMoney

EMoMoney Big and Tall

Oct 30, 2001
    Abingdon,...
    Yeah, you can watch the same futbol and auto racing events on just about every channel.

16. dukehoops

dukehoops New Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Charlotte, NC

When did this happen? I just want to know how hard to kick myself...

17. bgtimber75

bgtimber75 New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    I get it during the College Football season just so I can Watch the FSU shows on Sunshine Network. Other then that there's nothing on there. The games are blacked out all the time so the local one that's FREE was the only one worth watching for me.

18. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    If you're a fanatic for basketball at your old college, and it's out of market to you, then it's useful. I turn it on (online) for 1 day at a time, whenever the Univ of Arizona basketball game is on Fox Sports Arizona but not on my local RSN, and then turn it off the next day. The cost is about 80 cents per game for me.

19. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze Back by popular demand

Nov 1, 2002
    The 75006...
    http://msn.foxsports.com/fsw
    About 2/3 down on the left side they have a listings section.

20. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    I saw a commercial on one of my local OTA stations for a cable package where you could subscribe to a select group of out-of-market FSNs and, I believe, watch baseball, basketball, etc. without being blacked out. I think it was 3 or so, but if DirecTV offered that for ~$14.99mo., I'd be interested, but I know they won't.