What is the proper SNR to able to receive cable on Tivo Bolt? V53 error

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Brett Robinson, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Brett Robinson

Brett Robinson New Member

Aug 13, 2020

Advertisements

8/13/20

I am on my 6th--yes 6th--Bolt in 12 months. I installed this last one a few days ago. It is setup properly (I've had Tivos for 20 years and know what I'm doing), streams well, runs with an antenna fairly well, but when set up for cable only I get no picture or audio. I get the message "Porblem with the signal on this channel. Trying again. V53."

In the last few days I have replaced the cable card three times and the tuning adapter twice. Spectrum cable repairmen have spent hours across two visits checking lines, replacing cable ends, updating the cable card firmware, trying different configurations, etc. and Spectrum says the problem is with Tivo. Of course, I've also spent hours on the phone with Tivo and Spectrum trouble shooting everything and had to drive to a Spectrum store to get additional equipment.

Tivo support says that because the SNR is 37, the machine will not work. The SNR is "supposed to be between 29 and 35" according to Tivo. Spectrum says they are never below 35 and are usually higher because a higher number indicates a better signal. If "SNR" means "signal-to-noise ratio", that makes sense to me.

I think my replacement Tivo is bad out of the box. I have been without cable for two weeks because first Tivo had to send a transformer to make sure that was not the problem. This Bolt appears to work, change channels, record (although nothing shows up), etc. but I see nothing. I think the foreign Tivo support person is not reading their manual properly.

I have two companies pointing fingers at each other and I've got a very expensive door stop. Does anyone know the proper specifications here?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    What is the signal strength on any channel? Above 95, you can use attenuators to get it down.

Teeps likes this.
  3. Brett Robinson

Aug 13, 2020
    Thanks for the response. The signal strength is running about 90% across the four tuners.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Now wondering about the cable card, if its properly paired. What is its VAL: value in the Tivo's cable card menu.

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

Line 4 in the Conditional Access menu. "V" is paired. The following number is how many times the card has been paired.
    ccCA.JPG

BTW, due to AGC, 90% is normal for all four-tuner Bolts and Roamio units on cable. For OTA it is 72%. 36dB is normal SNR. As you noticed, a slight variation can happen.

Also, RS Corrected errors are not displayed for the two above units.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  6. Brett Robinson

Aug 13, 2020
    Thanks, ThAbT0 and JoeKustra. It seems to be paired because Tivo shows the proper channel labels as I change channels. The EMMs do go up and down but even when EMMS >100, nothing appears on the screen.

IMG_0099[1].JPG IMG_0100[1].JPG I do not see a "VAL" anywhere in the conditional access menu. Could this be a difference in the cablecard manufacturer? Or am I not paired?

Thanks in advance.

7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have Motorola cards, so that may be the difference.

8. Brett Robinson

Aug 13, 2020
    Could be. Thanks.

I have logged this question/complaint with Tivo tech support, this community, Xperi (Tivo's owner), and the Federal Trade Commission. You guys are the only ones trying to help me. Thank you very much!

9. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Tivo Customer Support Community

For Cisco/ScientificAtlanta/Technicolor CableCARDS

upload_2020-8-15_10-59-27.png

10. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Note that this assumption is not correct. Neither the channel labels, nor the channel (frequency) map requires the cablecard to be paired to function. Seeing channel names, numbers, and frequencies properly, but being unable to tune most (or all) channels, is a common symptom of the cablecards not being configured properly.

Brett Robinson likes this.
  11. Brett Robinson

Aug 13, 2020
    Thanks. I am not getting any information for Step 2. I'll go to the cable store tomorrow and get a fourth cable card and maybe that one will work.

12. Brett Robinson

Aug 13, 2020
    Fourth cable card installed and still no luck. Everything on the troubleshooting list above (and also found on the Tivo website) is right on except the "Active Program Authorization" which shows nothing. Still no reply from Tivo service or Xperi.

13. Brett Robinson

Aug 13, 2020
    Tivo is sending another Bolt to plug in to see if the Tivo is bad or the cable signal is bad. Hopefully this will bring this situation to a conclusion. Thank goodness my Roku works and the Tivo still streams or we'd have nothing to watch.

14. Brett Robinson

Aug 13, 2020
    The replacement Bolt (no. 6) was defective. I plugged in the 7th Tivo in 12 months AND IT WORKED! I guess you have to keep after them and complain to xperi if you want satisfaction.

JoeKustra likes this.