1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the official method for transferring to PC?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by adessmith, Aug 16, 2016.

1. adessmith

adessmith Active Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Years ago I used tivo and had tivo desktop.
    I believe I transfered my tivo desktop license when I sold the tivo, and I no longer have access to it.

It appears that tivo desktop is now discontinued. Is that correct?
    The following support article on transferring shows references a link to download tivo desktop, but it just takes you to a page to purchase tivo stream or roxio creator.
    Does tivo offer any sort of officially supported method for transferring content to and from a tivo? Does roxio creator replace tivo desktop now? I thought it was a replacement for toast... didn't toast allow you to burn dvds but you still had to have tivo desktop to get them to the PC?
    I know we have things like pytivo and KMTTG, but I'm just curious what the offical "tivo sanctioned" method is.

TIA

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I still use PyTivo and KMTTG with the Roamio and S3. They still work. Tivo Desktop is now unsupported, but they still work. You do not need a Desktop license nor do you need to use Desktop Plus and just use Desktop. Just make sure the Transfers and sharing are enabled in your Tivo.com account under DVR Preferences.

3. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    You can still download the unlicensed TiVo Desktop from here. The licensed version TiVo Desktop Plus is no longer available and does not confer any advantage downloading content to a PC.

Besides kmttg (the best way to download), you can also open your TiVo in a browser with this:
    Specify "tivo" as the user and your MAK as the password. Once you get logged in you can right-click on unprotected content and download it.

4. Sep 9, 2016 #4 of 10
    lcualoping

lcualoping New Member

Nov 22, 2011
    I use kmttg nowadays to transfer shows off of my TiVos. The interface takes a little getting used to, but it does a better job than the old TiVo Desktop application.

I keep TiVo Desktop installed so VideoReDo can decrypt the videos once I edit out all the commercials.

5. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2006
    Hi. is there a manual that shows how to do this? I can't seem to figure it out, and I'd like to grab some things off an old Series 2 and HD before they're deactivated :)

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Try pyTivo Desktop. It has a simpler UI if all you want is to download a few shows.

7. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2006
    ok, I'll have a go at it as well. Any news on VideoReDo - it's been a while since there has been an update.

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    We're working on v6 right now, but probably wont be released until the end of the year. Main feature of it is going to be H.265 support, but it'll have a few other goodies as well.

9. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    No manual, but its pretty idiot proof, once its configured for things like Media Access Key, folders of where the files will go, etc.
    Then just go to a shows list, highlight a show and click "Start Job" (or press S).

10. cwb3106

cwb3106 Member

Jan 18, 2010
    There is a wiki which includes installation instructions.