What is the most DTV units you've had not dialling in?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by CrashHD, Aug 27, 2007.

1. CrashHD

CrashHD I am the me.

Nov 10, 2006
    MO, USA

Advertisements

Does anyone know if there's a limit to how many DTV units you can have on an account? Does it matter whether they are dialing in or not? I've heard a lot about "connected to your land-based phone line" blah blah blah.

I've only got 5 units right now, but I'm thinking of adding more in the future. I will probably drop the land line to make room for the extra mirror fees, but I don't want to find myself suddenly in a position where DTV says, for that many units they have to dial in, to prove their in the right location, or they're not loaded with PPV's, or what not.

Are they more picky about it if you have a sports package like NFLST?

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I've heard that if you go above 8, then they want to make sure you aren't using them in a commercial establishment.
    DirecTV TiVos don't need to be connected to a phone line except for the initial installation. You just have to clear the nag message periodically. Of course, you need to have the room on a multiswitch.

3. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    Both of my zippered units haven't been connected to a landline for over 2 years and they work perfectly. No nag screens, either.

I order all my PPV events using the Directv.com website.

4. old7

old7 That's all I know! TCF Club

Aug 7, 2002
    Medford, Oregon
    I have 6 SD DirecTiVos (2 Sony T60 and 4 HDVR2), 2 HD DirecTiVos and 2 HR20-700s. None of them are plugged into a phone line. All of the TiVo-based DVRs are zippered or other-wise hacked to not show nag screens. The 2 HR20s are networked and connected to the Internet and possibly to DirecTV.

I also have NFL-ST, NBA-LP and MLB-EI. No problems, no black helicopters, well so far...

5. CrashHD

CrashHD I am the me.

Nov 10, 2006
    MO, USA

Advertisements

are you sure? They're awfully quiet :D

I'm probably only going to get one more tivo, so I think I'm just going to hold on to the landline until the that one's activated, and then I'm going wireless.

The big thing holding me back was if the lack of a phone would be a problem if I decide to go for NFLST again this year.

6. woodway

woodway New Member

Nov 5, 2006
    I have three and all have been zippered and none are making calls. They are connected to phone lines, because I am running one of the callerid scripts on all three - I like getting the callerid on the TV screen!

7. CrashHD

CrashHD I am the me.

Nov 10, 2006
    MO, USA
    If it's connected to a phone line, it is most certainly still dialing directv.

DirectTV tivos make two kinds of calls. One every day or few days to the number you have set up (which is an ISP, and allows a connection to Tivo over the internet. The other call is a once monthly call directly to DirecTV, just like a regular receiver, to report PPV and tattle about who knows what else.

Zippered units are prevented from dialing tivo, but if the phone is still hooked up, they will most definitely still call DirecTV. But a PPV with the remote and watch it show up on the bill.

8. woodway

woodway New Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Not true in my case.