What is the LAN speed TiVo Premiere

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Abextra, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Abextra

Abextra New Member

Jul 6, 2013
    I have repeatedly asked Tivo tech support "What is the expected LAN speed capability on the premiere" and they don't know. I have the same question posted to TiVo engineering on a escalated case number and weeks after posting I'm still waiting. TiVo Weaknees tech personnel say it should be capable of 100mbs however I have never seen transfer speeds over 65mbs. Usually its very erratic and much slower. When looking at: TiVo Settings/Network/Network diagnostics/Transfer history/ I see that all 3 of my Premiere's perform with the same very erratic LAN speed.

My questions to the community is: What do you see? and is this why the streaming capability of the Premier is so plagued with issues? FYI: My Cat 5 TiVo LAN network is fully tested using PC's and OOKLA speed test, my results are a sold 120mbps both up & down and all my boxes pass the extended hard drive test.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Your observations are correct. Even though the port is 100Mbps, the processing power limits you to about 65Mbps. The basic Roamio, also 100Mbps Ethernet, will max at almost 93Mbps until you try to use its build-in wireless. Then it drops to about 60Mbps. Only the Bolt, with a 1Gbps port can achieve a 400Mbps to 600Mbps speed. I've never seen a post on the wireless ability of a Bolt.

Using a PC with Easier to use pyTivo you can get a speed check with Task Manager in Windows. I can get 99Mbps to/from my PC with a basic Roamio.

3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    As Joe and Weaknees have indicated, the port speed is 100Mbps and you won't achieve that full speed as you've seen but really you don't need anywhere near that kind of bandwidth for streaming. Not sure which issues you are referring to with streaming on the Premiere other than the slowness of the app when compared to newer Roamio and Bolts which is due to the limited processing power and memory on the Premiere.

Scott

4. Abextra

Abextra New Member

Jul 6, 2013
    Yes Joe your correct PyTivo is easy for testing throughput speeds but you not going to see the LAN network max capability because the of Tivo push and pull limits. Scott I'm not expecting 100mbs from the Premier but I would expect a reliable 50mbs on push & pull file transfers and its not stable at all. The issue that most people on this forum are reporting are steaming issues like sound drops and video stumbles in places like Neflix and YouTube. The first place to start trouble shooting issues like sound and video drops is checking throughput speed on file transfer. If you stream off the web with a cabled PC without issue then next your looking at the TiVo box. Guys I want to thank you both for the response. I'm interested in knowing if you have the dropout with the premier?

5. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I have a 500GB basic Premiere and four basic Roamio. I can transfer files and watch programs over my network without any audio, video or data issue. I watch programs living on my Premiere from a Roamio frequently. I can monitor the transfer with Windows since my PC is only a few feet away and the monitor is large enough to see the graph of network speed. This when moving files to/from the PC. There are small drops when causing activity (changing channels, etc.) but just small blips. With a Premiere (and to some extent a Roamio with TE3) the box maintains the last speed in Network Diagnostics, Transfer History. It doesn't measure streaming and is not real time.

6. Abextra

Abextra New Member

Jul 6, 2013
    Joe the next time you into transfer history on the premier can you shoot me a number for mbs for the transfer Speed.
    Greatly appreciate your time and experience.

7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Here's the data. I used 1 hour HD program.
    1. PC -> Premiere 60.93
    2. Premiere -> PC 80.95
    3. Roamio -> Premiere 61.90
    4. Premiere -> Roamio 83.80
    All numbers are Mbps. Seems a Premiere gives up its data faster than it can get data. Those item numbers are the same as Transfer History.

8. Abextra

Abextra New Member

Jul 6, 2013
    Well except for your #3 test where the Premier is on the write Yes I also have noticed higher numbers on the output of data verses data being written to drive. You have 40% better transfer speed than I do.

9. Abextra

Abextra New Member

Jul 6, 2013
    TiVo Engineering's reply to me on 2019/03/17 They couldn't answer my question on what the LAN speed is and cant fix the incorrect info on their web site under my account. AAA service Guys!

Hi Robert,Thank you for contacting TiVo Customer Support! This is a response to your current issue that is noted on Case Number & #40;08611402& #41;. We have researched this case further. Regarding your inquiry about processing power of the Premiere DT. This is the extent of the information we are able to share. - Processor Core: 400 MHz Dual Core - Memory 512 MBWe have not published this information since our focus is around the feature set. For example, number of tuners, recording space, SkipMode, TrickPlay, etc.Regarding the your concern around the Device Preferences issue. We can see that our system has these configurations properly configured but we will absolutely continue our investigation. Please contact us in one of the following methods:Customer Support Line at 877-367-8486 You may also continue contact on through Email or Chat through this website: https://support.tivo.com/SupportHomePage1Thank you for your patience while we work to resolve this issue. JayTiVo Technical Supervisorref:_00D50JZS8._5003814Ehwa:ref

10. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The speed is limited by the CPU processes when you transfer shows because it also has to transcode the video in its process hence the slower speeds you are seeing. The network port itself may be 100mbs, but the CPU is not.

11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Just a note. All transfers were done on the same switch. I use a Netgear EX7000 that supports two Roamio, one Premiere, an AVR and this PC. All cables are CAT-5e or better even though everything is 100Mbps. Oddly, the only wired 1Gb devices I use are a TiVo Stream and a Mini VOX. Router is Netgear R8300.

12. Abextra

Abextra New Member

Jul 6, 2013
    I use a netgear gigabyte switch on cat5 LAN and only the TiVo's have slow and irregular the transfer speed on this network.

13. Abextra

Abextra New Member

Jul 6, 2013
    All files are transcoded on the PC into a TiVo format before being pulled into the premier using pytivo. No excessive CPU load there! Its the irregular speed as well as the slowness.

14. Abextra

Abextra New Member

Jul 6, 2013
    No one at TiVo would hazard a guess at the actual LAN tranfer speed spec. I think they know its barely capable of speeds required for streaming!

15. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    All shows are transcoded during the transfers from the Tivo side, converting it to .Tivo. It has nothing to do with your PC's CPU.

16. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    This doesn’t seem correct for non-MPEG2 video content being pulled to a TiVo via PyTivo.

(edit: That said, fretting about the LAN speed of a Premiere seems a bit 2012.)

JoeKustra likes this.
  17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    This basic point would seem to be applicable regardless of whether a direct transfer between DVRs is occurring or content is being pulled to a DVR from PyTivo. Unless there’s some other limit built-in to the OS that limits hard drive read/write speeds.

18. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    The speed you have reported is pretty typical for the Premiere as already described by others given the processor in the Premiere and the priority it gives transfers versus recording/buffering/UI. That priority could also play a part in variances in the transfer speeds. What are speeds are you seeing that you consider irregular (what's the variance) since I would expect there to be a +/- range?

Scott

19. Abextra

Abextra New Member

Jul 6, 2013
    Your point is only true if your recording a shows to TiVo! If in my case the transcoding is done on a PC and then the file is transferred to the TiVo using pytivo then no very little CPU is used and definitely not for transcoding.

20. Abextra

Abextra New Member

Jul 6, 2013
    LAN speed variation is 32-65 mbps using the same file each time