What is the favorite replacement hard drive in 2020?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by genebopp, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Mar 7, 2020 #1 of 11
    genebopp

genebopp Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I have looked over the old drive threads, but haven't seen a recommendation for a drive in a long time. I have a drive that is probably on the way out. What is the favorite drive of today?

RegGuheert likes this.
  2. Mar 7, 2020 #2 of 11
    RegGuheert

RegGuheert Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Great question!

And to those who will make recommendations, please tell us whether you are running TE3 or TE4. TIA!

3. Mar 8, 2020 #3 of 11
    JayMan747

JayMan747 Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Yes, please.
    My External Drive just died.

4. Mar 9, 2020 #4 of 11
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Often recommended from early on: the Toshiba 3TB 2.5" hard drive, Toshiba model no. MQ03ABB300. Toshiba - MQ03ABB300 - Festplatte - 3TB - intern - 6,4 cm (2.5\") - SATA 6G NEW | eBay Note that this drive has been EOL'ed and so palatable prices can be harder to find.

It's sibling 2TB drive has been on sale through Amazon.com for a whoppingly low $49.99--if I needed a new drive, I'd run and grab it. https://www.amazon.com/TOSHIBA-MQ03...SQHKYRZ1CJ8&psc=1&refRID=G7MHJB178SQHKYRZ1CJ8

Have been using the 3TB drive in my Bolt box for almost 11 months, now, with no issue; TE3.*

* What is this "TE4" thing of which you speak? ;)

justen_m likes this.
  5. Mar 9, 2020 #5 of 11
    My Cape is a Recliner

My Cape is a Recliner Member

Oct 5, 2019
    My recommendation is to go back and actually read the threads again. What do you think has changed? These aren't smartphones that come out with new features every year. There is no 2020 Spring season line for hard drives.

6. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I second Mikeguy's recommendations. I don't think anything has change in the past few months. I've had the 3TB Toshiba in my Bolt for 7 months, no issues, TE3. If I was replacing the drive now, I'd go with the 2TB Toshiba, for reasons mentioned above.

7. RegGuheert

RegGuheert Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Thanks for the recommendations!
    It's that TiVo UI which is the only option for my Bolt OTA. ;)
    RTFM is never an enlightening reply, but that is particularly true on a forum which does not have a wiki associated with it containing only information which has been fully vetted.
    Here are some things that HAVE actually changed:
    - Toshiba has EOLed the most-highly-recommended drive for Bolts, as Mikeguy pointed out in the post just above yours. I'm sure many other drives recommended here for the Bolt over the years have also been EOLed.
    - TiVo has added a whitelist of drives to the TE4 software on their equipment, meaning that the vast majority of drives that can be purchased and tried WILL NOT WORK. I know where to find a list of hard drives which will NOT work under TE4, but I have yet to find a concise list of drives which WILL work under TE4.

Thanks! That is what I have just done! I will keep the 1TB that came with the unit as my spare.

genebopp, JandS and Mikeguy like this.
  8. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    It would be great to hear back how the Toshiba 2TB behaves with TE4--there seems to have been such scattered reporting on replacement hard drives and TE4, especially with the seeming rash of malfunctioning that seemed to occur at one point a year+ ago.

9. RegGuheert

RegGuheert Member

Mar 16, 2019
    I will do just that. My Bolt OTA is new, so I won't lose too many recordings by swapping the drive right now.

Perhaps OP can compile a list of 2.5" drives which work in Bolts under TE4 in the top post.

10. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Nobody knows why some drives work under TE4 and others don't.

RegGuheert likes this.
  11. JimmyDean

JimmyDean New Member

Jun 18, 2019
    I put the 2Gb Toshiba in my Bolt OTA tonight and it is working fine. I replaced the OEM WD 1Tb which failed. Only few hours on the new drive working fine.

CIR-Engineering, Mikeguy and justen_m like this.