What is "Overlap Protection?"

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by xtc, Sep 11, 2007.

1. xtc

xtc New Member

Jan 22, 2005

Advertisements

This is supposed to be one of the new features on the HR10-250 in the near future. What is it?

2. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    If two of you programs to record overlap by 5 minutes or less, it will partially record the lower priority one (as well as the entire higher priority one), only cutting off the overlap, instead of not recording anything at all as it did prior to having this feature.

3. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    darn i was hoping it would catch sports overruns and extend the time accordingly :)

4. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I think my last two VCRs had this. Been a while. But it makes sense. Good feature.

5. xtc

xtc New Member

Jan 22, 2005

Advertisements

thanks for the info, jbernardis. Does the HR20 do this?

6. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    Sorry - but I don't know anything about the HR20. I am no longer a DTV subscriber. I've moved back to digital cable with a couple of Series 3's.

7. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    The HR20 does not have it xtc.

One thing that helps with padding on the HR20 is that if your shows are back to back on the same channel, it will use only one tuner and place the padded part on both recordings instead of using both tuners to get it done.

8. jimb726

jimb726 New Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    If I recall correctly the HR20 will overlap as long as the recordings are on the same channel or am I mistaken?

9. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    That's what I'm speaking about in the second paragraph.

10. guins

guins Networked DTiVo User

Oct 9, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    This is a feature I've wished it had for years....It really bugged me when it wouldn't record say a 2 hour show when in the 2nd hour there were two shows to be recorded. FINE THEN JUST RECORD THE FIRST HOUR THEN STOP....well it will now. :up: Oops, no it won't, my tivos are zippered.....damn!

11. xtc

xtc New Member

Jan 22, 2005
    thanks Billy66

12. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    Actually, according to my understanding, it wont record the first hour because the 1 hour overlap is too large. I think the overlap has to be 5 minutes or less.

13. guins

Oct 9, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Really???? Why just 5 minutes?

14. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    I guess if the overlap is more than 5 minutes it's not considered an overlap - it's considered a scheduling conflict and only the higher priority program will get recorded.

I believe this feature is meant to combat the practice of some networks (NBC) starting programs 1 or 2 minutes early or ending them 1 or 2 minutes late. Without overlap protection, these programs wouldn't be recorded at all if that 1 or 2 minutes overlapped with a higher priority program. This feature at least allows you to record the 58 minutes that do not overlap.

I think it's a great feature and I'm very happy to have it.

15. guins

Oct 9, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    oh, well i use soft padding on my zippered DTivos so no big deal for me. that is a nice feature.

16. BGLeduc

BGLeduc Member

Aug 26, 2003
    New Mexico
  17. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Well, technically, two shows on the same channel can't possibly overlap.

I think what Billy might be referring to is the feature that Tivo should have had from day one, which is if the tuner is not scheduled elsewhere, it takes the output from a single tuner, and records just a few seconds more than the scheduled time, typically at the head and at the tail. If two shows are back to back on the same channel and you record them both, when you play them back, you will get the last few seconds of the first recording also duplicated on the first few seconds of the second recording (although the HR2x cleverly cues it to where the overlap ends--you may have to rewind to see it).

IOW, it takes the tuner output and for a short overlap period funnels that into both recordings--the head of one overlaps the tail of the other, and for that short time one tuner contributes content to both recordings.

What this means is that if you have "seamless" broadcasts, such as "How Hard I Banged Your Mother" blending directly into "Two and a Half Men" (with no commercials in between) you will get all of both shows. Sheer genius! (of course no PVR can predict how accurately the broadcast time will match the Tribune/EPG time that they CLAIM the show will fit into. Blame that on the broadcasters).

Compare this to Tivo and every other of the dozen PVR's I've owned, every one of which truncated about 15 seconds between the end of the first recording while it ramped up to start the second recording, which I always found supremely annoying. Until now, that is.