What is needed for a HTPC

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by caddyroger, Aug 11, 2011.

1. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    I have some questions on a HTPC build
    No 1 question I am thinking about building a HTPC. I would like to know if the computer I am going to use can support it. I has a Intel 2 Quad 2.66GHz cpu, ASUS P5P43TD LGA 775 Intel motherboard, 16g CORSAIR XMS3 DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800), ASUS GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit DDR3 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card. I have 1 tb hard drive 500 gb hard drive and use a ssd hard drive for os drive.
    I am running windows 7 pro.
    If not what is recommended?
    No 2 question. Does the ceton 4 tuner have have a remote or can a HTPC have a remote?
    No 3 are there any other cards or usb that uses a cable cable
    card.
    No 4. Can you use Vedioredo to edit out the commercials?

Sorry about the missed up English.

2. Enrique

Enrique Well-Known Member

May 15, 2006
    No.1 Yes that is more then fine.

No.2 Any remote will do. Just search for a windows media center remote in google.

No.3 Yes Hauppauge has their dual tuner CableCARD tuner http://store.hauppauge.com/hardware2.asp?product=wintv-dcr-2650

Silicondust has tiher 3 and 6 tuner devices http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/prime/

No.4 That depends on your cable company... Some put DRM on all their channels some don't. WMC and all CableCARD devices will honer that.

3. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    Thanks. I have comcast they do not copy protect most channels. they just protect the movies channels.

4. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    What type of ir receiver do you use? I have Logitech harmony one but how does windows receive the signal.

5. Enrique

Enrique Well-Known Member

May 15, 2006
    I've never used harmony one, but I do know some people here use them and could tell you how to set that up*.

I have a more complex setup then what your going for. I have two hauppauge colossus which Capture video coming out of both of my cable boxes. The colossus has it's own IR receiver and remote.

*Does the harmony one come with an IR receiver? If it does then just plug that into your computer and this web page should teach the remote how to use WMC:

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmo...-Media-Center-now-available-in-our/m-p/374844

6. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    Thanks Sorry for the earlier post. Seaching other articles I found what I needed. Ebay has I what need.

7. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    I didn't know that USB can transfer 2 HD videos at once, like in the Hauppauge thing.

8. yoheidiho

yoheidiho Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Huh?

9. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf Member

Oct 12, 2007
    Redmond, WA
    For an IR receiver that works with a universal remote, this works quite well for me: www.flirc.tv

10. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    USB 2.0 has more than enough bandwidth to transfer multiple HD streams simultaneously. My HTPC had six USB ATSC tuners recording at the same time with no problems.

11. rasmasyean

rasmasyean New Member

Jul 28, 2011
    I suppose this is with the new USB 3.0?

12. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Nope. USB 2.0. An ATSC broadcast has a maximum allowable bitrate of 19.4 Mbps. Digital cable can max out at 38.8 Mbps. In reality, broadcast streams generally have a much lower bitrate (usually about 6-8 Mbps). USB 2.0 can transfer data at up to 480Mbps, so there's plenty of overhead for transferring multiple HD streams at the same time.

The hardware is a bit outdated, but it should still work fine.

You'll need a separate remote for the PC. You can get any Windows Media Center compatible remote with an IR receiver and you're up and running. No extra software to install. Windows will recognize the IR receiver and install the proper drivers automatically. If you want to get creative there are lots of other options available. EventGhost is a front-end app for remote control that allows you to use any remote and map any keyboard, mouse, or Windows command to any button on the remote. This comes in handy if you're using third party apps on your PC that run outside of Media Center and don't want to deal with a wireless keyboard and mouse. Lenovo makes a nice little keyboard/trackball RF remote that works great for occasional keyboard and mouse requirements and it won't break the bank to buy one.

The SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime is a network based cablecard tuner that can be used with any WMC PC on your network. Ceton has just obtained CableLabs certification for their quad tuner USB version of the InfiniTV4 so it should be hitting the streets in the very near future.

If you're recording with Windows Media Center, the native file format for recordings is .wtv. The latest version of VideoReDo TVSuite H.264 works directly with .wtv files. Otherwise, you can convert them to .dvr-ms files (the older Win XP and Vista Media Center recorded formats) and use any version of VideoReDo for editing. If you right-click on a .wtv file in Windows Explorer you'll get a drop-down menu with an option to convert the file to .dvr-ms. Just select it and the conversion is automatic. I have heard that the native converter strips out 5.1 audio and converts it to Dolby 2.1, but I haven't confirmed this to be true. There is a freeware converter called MC-TVConverter that keeps the 5.1 audio intact. I like it because it also does batch conversions.