What is HR10-250 worth?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by NatasNJ, Jan 30, 2009.

1. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly

Advertisements

Anyone still buying these? Anyone want to buy one. :)

Ebay prices seem to be all over the place.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    How many HR10-250's have been sold on eBay? That should tell you if anyone is buying them.

3. zdude1

zdude1 New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I have 2 stock HR10's which I plan to list on ebay real soon. From what I have seen on there, the winning bid amount seems to vary greatly as you said, but seem to key on these few things:
    1) included accessories, like an HDMI, component, toslink audio cable, phone line, power cord, manuals, and of course a remote!
    2) show pics with the original box, and state that it will ship in it
    3) a detailed listing which shows all the features, even if they are assumed or mundane to those of us using them for years
    4) LUCK!!!

I am hoping to get at least $100+shipping for each of mine, and figure the time to sell is before they shut down all mpg2 HD streams.

Good Luck.

4. argicida

argicida Active Member

Feb 16, 2009
    They are available really cheap these days - but adding the cost of a new DirecTV card plus shipping will actually double the price.

5. zdude1

zdude1 New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Atlanta, GA

Advertisements

Update to my post of a month ago:
    Sold them both on ebay, and got $149+15sh for each one. Both were Buy It Now's with starting bids at $129.
    I am very happy :) with that. I think this confirms my theories above on how to maximize the selling price. (prob didn't hurt that I have FB of 1100+ & 100%)

FYI: I included all cables which came with it (no toslink audio, since that didn't).

6. coachO

coachO New Member

Nov 25, 2004
    near...
    I think they got a good deal, I still like my two HR10-250s much better than my HR20s. Unfortunately, I am begrudgingly using my HR20s more and more.

7. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    I am sort of in the same boat, with a pair of HR20s and a pair of aging HR10s. I still prefer the HR10 interface slightly (especially when slo-mo enters the picture, which is rare), but I am by now as acclimated to the HR2x interface as I am to the HR10.

My reason for using the HR20s more is that I have 2.5 TB of extra storage on them, and my HR10's, which have 650 GB each, are pretty full right now. The HR10's hold about 83 hours of HD comfortably each (actually, somewhat uncomfortably). With the smaller file size of MPEG-4 I am getting over 52 hours of storage on the internal drives of the HR20s, and the external storage seems to be capable of over 500 hours of HD. That's finally enough to double record everything in HD.

One thing I like very much about the HR2x that was a feature glaringly omitted (in retrospect, at least) from the HR10, is the overlap feature. My HR10's seem to frequently truncate either the beginning or end of a program, while the HR20s don't.

I seem to have to do a daily preventative reboot on both HR10's to keep them from rebooting in the middle of a recording. This has reduced the frequency of that happening to about once every 2 weeks. I also do not use both tuners that much or play back other shows while they are recording if I don't have to. IOW, I am walking on eggshells with the HR10s while the HR20s seem to be able to take anything I can throw at them.

So the HR10s are kind of like 17 year-old dogs, living on borrowed time. I know they don't have much shelf life left in them but it's getting harder all the time to ignore the fact that the end is inevitable, even though I will be sad when they go. The HR20s are more like puppies; they have all the abilities and agilities they need, but still could use some paper training. As long as they don't hump my leg, I guess.

What, too far? :D

8. WaldorfSalad

WaldorfSalad New Member

Nov 28, 2008
    I just put $70 into my aging HR10-250 for a replacement power supply. I'm hoping it will keep going long enough until DirecTV release a new Tivo-based DVR.

9. zdude1

zdude1 New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Didn't really intend for this to get hijacked and become an HR10 vs HR20 thread, but since others have chimed in a bit, I will at least explain why I sold some HR10's.
    Don't get me wrong, I still love the HR10's. I had 5 total (4 active on acct). I just sold 2 that I never upgraded and didn't have any real content stored on them. Figured, sell them while I can get something for them. I have a feeling that once all the DirecTV mpeg2 HD ch's are gone, they'll drop a lot in $$.

But like others, I use the HR10's less and less now, because I mainly keep them for the archived programs. One is upgraded to a 650GB drive, other is a 750GB, last one left is still stock and not currently activated. While I know it is possible to get content off and archive to hdd or bd, the ease of viewing the content then goes way down.

I also have 5 Hr20's, and I am getting used to them, but I miss the dual live buffers, the intuitive layout of the peanut rc, the ease of slo-mo (can't believe that they made it so difficult on the HR2x series; half the time I can't get the slo-mo going), the ability to give a save until "date". I never feel comfortable kowing that a recording will not be deleted unless I change it to save until "delete" on the HR20.

And, since about 3-4 months old, 2 of my HR20's have issues so they need to be replaced. One sporadically says "searching for signal on tuner 2", the other has a bad modem circuit, so if it plugged into the home phone line, then that line is always "off the hook". They've offered to replace both units, but it again comes down to the issue of them expecting us to just dump hours and hours of recorded content (archived, like sports, etc), with no plan of "HW replacement/content carryover". Seems like it would be easy enough for them to offer this as a service if you are willing to go without a DVR for 3-5 days.

10. shibby191

shibby191 New Member

Dec 24, 2007
    What's kinda funny is the HR10's do have value in a way some don't think about: Free upgrade to an HR2x. Buy HR10, activate, wait a month or two, get free MPEG4 upgrade. Keep HR10 if wanted for SD and OTA. :D

Of course that's assuming you can't get an HR2x for less then the HR10 will cost you.

11. TyroneShoes

Sep 6, 2004
    I don't think that is what has happened here, but you can hardly speculate as to what the HR10 might be worth (the central thread question) without examining the reasons why, and the single thing that drives the value of the HR10 is the HR2x/MPEG4 conversion.

12. tucsonbill

tucsonbill Member formerly known as cranky

Aug 11, 2004
    Tucson
    Mine still have quite a bit of value as long as I can record local OTA HD. Although D* will claim that I can get local HD from them, it ain't so.
    Some of them are there -- I'd even give you "most" of them, but none of the subchannels.

To Tyroneshoes -- I see you still haven't dealt with your reboot proiblem.

To Shibby -- I 'upgraded" one of mine a year ago. They never asked me to deactivate the HR10 I was upgrading. (I deactivated an old SD sony receiver, and they were happy.) I still have one of them in service and expect that to be my next upgrade.

13. TyroneShoes

Sep 6, 2004
    I'm not sure I know what you mean. I deal with the "proiblem" every day, by rebooting them myself. What options are there that you think I might be overlooking?:confused:

14. tucsonbill

Aug 11, 2004
    Tucson
    I mean that there is a known fix which you steadfastly refuse to apply. I ain't picking on you -- I just can't believe that a smart guy like you thinks it's okay to reboot everyday and make sure you don't have both tuners on cbs--- I love you man, but you do some dumb things.

15. humbland

humbland New Member

Aug 25, 2005

I have an aging HR10-250 that reboots constantly. I have searched the forum looking for the "known fix". Can someone point me to the solution.
    Thanks

16. tucsonbill

Aug 11, 2004
    Tucson
    Depends on some things. The thing I was tweaking my friend ty about has to do with software version. If you search "spontaneous reboot" in this forum you'll find lots of posts about it a little over a year ago-- some software version had a problem with reboots when tuners were the CBS. If you are running current software and this problem has just developed, then that's not your problem.
    very well could be a failing hard drive.