What is better the Roamio or Bolt assuming same number of tuners?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Johnny Danger, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
    What is better the Roamio or Bolt assuming same number of tuners?

I'm looking to maybe buy one of these but I'm not sure which one is best.

I think the bolt is 4K whereas the Roamio is 1080, however I don't have a 4K TV or content.

Can both do the streaming to the mini device and allow for hard drive upgrades the same?

Thanks.

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Look around TCF and you will find a number of similar threads.

3. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Can you give away the ending on that story( Bolt vs Roamio) ?

Are they both pretty much the same except for some small details ? I already have ROKU for streaming. Right now I need a DVR.

Am I making a major mistake by getting a Roamio vs a Bolt or vise versa?

4. delgadobb

delgadobb Active Member

Mar 6, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Translation: "I don't want to use the search function so can you do the work for me?"

My suggestion would be to look through the existing threads, see if you think of questions that remain unanswered & ask them here. You'll find folks here very helpful IF you do a little legwork yourself ... put another way, help us to help you.

For some people Roamio is the best fit, for some people Bolt; depending on someone's needs & perspective you may get very different answers. Both devices are very good; the Bolt will cost you more but you may have to look into used with Roamio.

5. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
    I have read comparison and they both seem like they do the same thing except the Bolt has 4K and some apps that make it like a Roku with 3rd party streaming services. That is my take on it. Is there more to add?

Does the same picture look better on one vs the other? Many TV have 1080P however some are better than others.

By the way, I did do a search and the only thing that comes up is my own question.
    If you know the answer, can't you just tell me? What is with the tease man?

6. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    There are detailed threads outlining the differences, I have written several. It also depends on what Roamio (there are 4-5 different ones) you are talking about and if you want to use it for cable or OTA.

The simple answer are that the Bolts are the current generation and several years newer hardware than the Roamios, but the Roamios maybe a better value depending on ones needs. Of course the only Roamio still being sold new is the Roamio OTA, so if one is considering the base Roamio or the Roamio Plus/Pro then they will be used.

7. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
  8. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Roamio is more solid hardware (but older CPU) and design. For DVR only where you don't care about the apps get Roamio. The OTA tuner is slightly better at pulling in signal. Roamio is slow with the apps.

Bolt does 4k and the apps run fast, but you might not care if you have Roku or fancy TV with own apps. Other than 4k or faster apps, it doesn't really do anything better than Roamio and some things (like OTA tuner might be slightly worse)

If you are doing your own drive expansion, 3.5" drive gives you more flexbility than 2.5" in Bolt.

9. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I have a Roamio Basic. I upgraded to a 3TB drive which was easy and I love the extra capacity. I don't have a 4K TV and my internet is probably not fast enough/high quality enough for 4K streaming anyway. I don't see any great prices on Roamios on Amazon right now. Buying a base Bolt from Tivo for $199 is cheaper. Deals from Tivo probably won't happen until February.

10. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Apart from the Roamio OTA with included subscription, which is a nice deal even at the retail price. Having said that, I was shocked to see that Amazon's price has skyrocketed from the recent $315 low to a now $392.

11. scottchez

scottchez Member

Dec 1, 2003
    I want the fast box there is for loading apps and on demand. Bolt is x times fast. I think they said 3 times fast? Please it has that new App Instant load feature . Right now I think just Netflix is enabled, this means once Netflix is loaded in memory it stays in memory so it instantly loads. It stays in memory until the next reboot. The box I think has 3 times more memory.
    Price wise all worth it to me.
    I did find the Bolt Plus has a more sensitive tuner so If you cable signal is too weak or too strong you have issues (may need to add or remove slitters or add an amp). The Amazon reviews for the Bolt Plus have a good write up on the issue in the reviews. Took me a day of tweaking to get the signal and SNR levels right on the Plus to avoid Pixellation.

12. TeamPace

TeamPace Active Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Ohio
    Better is a subjective term. It depends on your needs and what's important to you. I'm OTA only and have tried both Roamio and Bolt. Reception on the Bolt simply wasn't good enough for my particular reception needs so I continue use my Roamio. Also if you're OTA only the Roamio with built-in "All-In" service is likely the better value. Then there are considerations such as the speed of apps, built-in ability to stream, etc. etc. etc. you'll have to research and continue. If you post what your needs and desires are you more likely to get some help.

13. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Johnny, unless money is no object, Bolt with lifetime is not a good value. That's going to run you $850. A similar Roamio OTA with lifetime runs about $300. You can add a cable card bracket to it for about $20. Bottom line, you're paying a $500 premium for 4k, built in Moca, built in stream server and marginally faster navigation. Since nobody broadcasts in 4k and you can stream 4k from some other cheap streaming device, such a feature is currently worthless.

14. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
    I really like the way you sum it up like that. It has made this whole thing look a lot more clear.
    Thank you for telling it like it is.

15. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016
    I want to record my favorite shows and stream to rooms in my house. I would like to upgrade the HD to something that can record a lot. I don't have anything in 4K so I think 1080 is good enough.

16. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    I will say the plex implementation on the Bolt is much better and more capable than on the Roamio or Mini. Still hard to justify the cost of the Bolt.

17. mschnebly

mschnebly Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011

18. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Is the Bolt better? Sure, no doubt, assuming you can get past the hideous design. Is it $500+ better than a lifetime OTA?

Um, no. And that's always been the problem with the Bolt - the Roamio is good enough and way cheaper.

mdavej likes this.
  19. alexb

alexb Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Kirkland, WA
    For me it's the bolt as it has some longevity in terms of what they might support down the road.

That said I was planning to return my bolt+ in its 30 day trial window because they did roamio pro offer on cyber Monday with all-in. Which they ran out of so they offered me bolt+ with all in service for $99. I got that a returned the first bolt+

I guess I am saying that the bolt+ might give you more longevity but that the all-in roamio you can find (I am assuming you are only interested in cable) is better value for money depending on what you value, if not the OTA roamio is great and a cable card be added if you void the warranty.