What is a safe way to reset cable cards?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Twiddler, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Twiddler

Twiddler New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    I noticed that one day I had some new channels that I ordered from Time Warner, and the next day my Tivo could not access them. I called tech support and did an elaborate restart. Can I pop the cable cards in and out of the tivo while it's powered up or is this dangerous in some ways? If I need to power down the tivo...is there an on off switch somewhere? Or do I simply need to unplug it? Or is there some way from the menu screens to do a card reset?

Any idea why I am dropping channels? Is this common with cable cards?

thank you for your time

Andy

2. Zaph32

Zaph32 New Member

May 22, 2000
    In my area, you can call up Time Warner and, via an automated menu, "reset your cable box" which does that.

However, what do you mean by "cannot access" channels? I was getting black screens on certain channels - rebooting fixed it - until the box failed to boot and I had to swap it out.

3. Twiddler

Twiddler New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    I called and ordered some new channels and I could turn to them...the next day they were grey and I think I even got the cable card message...please call your cable card company to access this channel. It has happend a couple times now and the first time I did the reset with them...the next time I popped my cards in and out...and it fixed the issue. I don't mind popping the cards in and out with the power to the tivo if it does not hurt them. I worry this is going to be an ongoing issue and I would hate to be resetting every 3 days.