What is a 6.3b/c update?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by evilklown, Feb 12, 2007.

1. evilklown

evilklown New Member

Jun 14, 2005

Advertisements

I dont have my Tivo hooked up to a phone line, am i missing out on anything?Should i hook up and get these down loads?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You need only one of them - 6.3c is current. The difference from 6.3b is said to be a daylight savings time fix.

3. easy-e

easy-e New Member

Feb 22, 2005
    I don't buy the DST fix. If that was the case, we'd have 2 fixes a year. That just hasn't happened. Maybe I'm missing something here, but I'm keeping my modem unplugged for a long while...I've already been burned by 6.3a. Now I have a leased instead of owned HR10...

4. jaobrien6

jaobrien6 New Member

Oct 24, 2002
    Yes, but this year, DST starts earlier than in past years. A lot of software on my work computer has been patched in the last couple weeks by our IT department to reflect the new logic in when DST starts and stops (March and November now instead of April and October).

5. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004

Advertisements

But, since the clock is continually updated from the mothership, why would the STB have to even care about DST or when it is or whether it changed? If the NTP server is compliant, then the clients (PVRs) should also be compliant.

6. SpankyInChicago

SpankyInChicago New Member

May 13, 2005
    Earl was saying earlier that the problem isn't related to anything with DirecTV, but rather the Tivo software needs to be updated.

7. gquiring

gquiring New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Matawan, NJ
    Because the mothership only sends down GMT time. Your Tivo takes that date/time and converts it to your time zone. The timezone files and a glib library have to be updated to convert the times on the new dates for 2007. I was very surprised in the server world how this change took such a 'low' priority to get updated.

8. easy-e

easy-e New Member

Feb 22, 2005
    So....if this is true...I should expect my SD TiVo to get the update too. Maybe I'll plug that one in and see what happens.

9. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I too, have SD TiVos and would like to know if these units will require an update. I suspect that only the HDTiVos have this problem, possibly caused by the 6.3 update. I guess we'll know in a month. :)

10. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    This DST change has been known for a while, so it's possible the change for that has been included in previous updates to the SD systems.

11. whitepelican

whitepelican Member

Feb 14, 2005
    Except there haven't been any updates at all to the SD DirecTivos in approximately two years. And the law to change the daylight savings date was just passed last year.

12. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    Series 1 machines got 3.5 about 4/25/06. The R10 were shipped with 6.1 and never got an update. I'm not sure when 6.2 was shipping to the other series 2 machines.

13. whitepelican

whitepelican Member

Feb 14, 2005
    The R10's were out sometime in 2004, and like you said they are still running the same 6.1 version as when they were shipped. It was February 2005 when 6.2 was released. Like I said, two years ago. There is no possible way that DST changes were incorporated in that release, since it was well before the DST law was changed. So I'm assuming those units don't need an update for DST. Which is why it is strange that the HR10-250 might've needed one, unless it was somehow related to OTA recording.

14. FloydinTampa

FloydinTampa New Member

Aug 23, 2005
    I had my DTV programming service on suspend for a couple of months and then reactivated several days ago. I went from 6.3a to 6.3c that very night.
    Then, when I started to watch "Ghost Whisperer" that I had recorded on my DirecTV HD-Tivo from the local CBS off-air 10-1 transmission, I got this message:

"The copyright holder of this program permits viewing at less than high definition on component outputs"

This is the first time I recall seeing this message, so I'm wondering if 6.3c has anything to do with the resolution allowed?
    I have my Hitachi 57" connected to the HD-tivo with component cables, so I guess I am watching the show at 760 or 460 resolution? It did look a little less sharp, so I suppose I'll have to use the HDMI connection to watch HD on these "restricted" shows?

15. SpankyInChicago

SpankyInChicago New Member

May 13, 2005
    No. This is not new to 6.3c. This started with 6.3. It has been reported here. I have experienced it and posted about it here. On one particular program (American Experience on PBS), I did some investigation and ended up speaking with a post-production engineer of the program at WGBH (who produces American Experience) and a broadcasting engineer at my local PBS station (WTTW) and they said they had done nothing to the program source or the broadcast to activate any "flags" that would tell my Tivo to do that. So, I think it is a bug in the Tivo. Of course, this wouldn't be a surprise. I never called DirecTV because I simply don't have the patience to deal with the retards there to try to convince them that it is their fault. You know their response will be to blame it on the broadcaster or the producer.