what if your warranty replacement dies? repurchase lifetime?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by newsposter, Oct 8, 2011.

1. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i read the fine print of the 3 year warranty, once they give you money back or a refurb the warranty is gone and cannot be renewed. so what do you do once the refurb dies? or can the old units always be fixed/parts available etc.

just would hate to have to spend another 500 for lifetime on another box..but they clearly state the lifetime isnt transferable. i wouldnt mind the 100 for a new box if it was

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If it's a standalone Tivo, original S3 or older, you can transfer the crypto chip (which is where the TiVo Service Number is stored, which is what the lifetime sub is tied to) from one motherboard to another.

Assuming that you're skilled and experienced at unsoldering and re-soldering surface mount devices.*

Series 3 HD, HD XL, or Premiere, you're screwed, there is no separate crypto chip.

I don't know for sure if you can do the same with DirecTiVos or not.

If you've got one and there's an IC on there with the name ATMEL on it, then probably so.

*I wasn't, but I practiced on a dead S3 board, after getting some stuff called chip qwik (low melting point solder alloy), and managed to move the crypto chip from my mom's dual tuner S2 to an identical motherboard. It's not lifetimed, but there were 2TB of recordings involved. The recordings a TiVo makes are also tied to the TiVo Service Number.

3. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Is your TiVo actually dead, or is this a "What if...?" If the former, what are the symptoms?

4. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i'm trying to protect a 500 dollar purchase i'm about to make(plus cost of premier)...on the surface it appears your 40 dollar 3 year warranty buys you one oops ...after that, you need to buy another box and spend 500 for lifetime

trying to get a handle on the real life experience what happens when your replacement fails. i only have experience with hr10 250 hard drives, power supplies, hdmi cards and do not know 'how much or difficult' a premier would be in this situation..plus with directv you do get a refurb each time under their protection plan so you know you will always have a working box of some sort...doesnt appear to be true with standalones though

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Have you checked to see whether the original Series 3 will do everything you need done? 'Cause you can swap out the crypto chip on those.

6. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    well im not much of a solderer but OTA and ability to import my own video onto the tivo are must haves so i guess i need to dig and see if a 3 gets me that.

7. timatkn

timatkn New Member

Oct 1, 2010
    That is an excellent question.

I am guessing most of the time units last more than 3 years so to get 2 bad units between 90 days and 3 years would be unusual.

Does the replacement come with another 90 day manufacturer warranty? I would assume that is the case.

T