what heck! frontier communications?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by celtic pride, Sep 22, 2018.

1. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005

Advertisements

I have 1 tivo roamio pro and 1 tivo premiere,I wanted to add the nba tv channel,They said i could get it with their sports pack channels for $9.99 a month. I said o.k. but then she told me the system wouldn't let them add it to my account unless they sent me another cable card. I told them what do you mean?,I already have 2 cable cards for my tivos all they should have to do is turn on the channels and just add the cost of the channels to my next bill. but she insisted the system wouldn't let her do that ,even her manager said the same thing. I said never mind dont do it ,Then i asked about increasing my speed for $10.00 more a month for 75/75 fios,then she said yes they could do that but would have to add another line! not sure what she means by that so i said forget it leave my account alone ,don't change anything. To top things off I went and checked their sports package and it didn't even include the nba tv channel! thanks for letting me vent. i might not continue with tivo much longer because of crap like this.

2. LYKUNO

LYKUNO Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Ohio
    Don't give up on TiVo! It's the cable provider who's at fault here. They're accustomed to dealing with people who use their outrageously priced cable boxes and DVRs. When somebody mentions TiVo or cable cards they are taken out of their knowledge zone and respond by insisting that you need to buy more of their stuff, needed or not.

Before making decisions on picking up additional channels packages or increasing internet speed, you need to research the cable company's published (typically available online) documentation for their channel offerings and rate plans. Being armed with accurate information will help ensure you get what you want with nothing that you don't need.

wish_bgr and unclehonkey like this.
  3. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    This would be letting the bad guy win, then getting in bed with him.

What does this have to do with your tivo? This is about your provider putting in artificial roadblocks to your wishes. I'd suggest making a complaint to the FCC.

tarheelblue32 likes this.
  4. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo Active Member

Dec 18, 2002
    I agree this is on the cable company, but what she was telling you might well be correct. It wouldn't be unheard of for a cable company to upgrade the CA for it's premium services and this could well require a cablecard swap, especially if you have had your card for a while.

5. mschnebly

mschnebly Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Mesa

Advertisements

Unfortunately I think we are going to be seeing a lot more of this, not less.

Scooby Doo likes this.
  6. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    I know its not tivo s fault ,I,m just frustrated with what i thought would be a simple upgrade to add a channel ,I will try again on monday hopefully i will have better luck,,I really dont want to give up on tivo as i have had tivo since late 1999 or early 2000 when i bought 2 phllips tivo dvrs when i had directv.

7. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Nah. The cable card he has is fine. It works with his six tuner pro. There are no new M cable cards.

8. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    One member has posted about new software. I don't have it.

New cable card firmware Comcast Motorola

9. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I think that's highly unlikely. Most front-line CSRs don't even know what a CableCARD even is, let alone highly technical details about CableCARDs like that. And any upgrades should be able to be handled with a firmware upgrade to the same CableCARD without an actual swap of the physical cards.

10. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo Active Member

Dec 18, 2002
    It's not my area of expertise but I'll give you one counterexample. For complicated historical reasons the Houston market was divided between SA and Motorola CA systems. When Comcast took over from Time Warner, they consolidated down to just one system (can't remember which). The change was phased in, but at some point some customer had to swap CableCARDS.

11. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Yes, that's true. The brand of the card must match the headend equipment. But that example is the only possible reason I can think of that would require a physical card swap (other than an actual malfunctioning card). Everything else should just be firmware.

12. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Houston's all Cisco (SA) as far as I know, and has been for at least several years. If you plug in a card with outdated firmware it updates immediately.

fcfc2 and kpeters59 like this.
  13. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo Active Member

Dec 18, 2002
    The ComCast takeover was in 2006 I think. I’ve been a Tivo user for awhile!

14. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Frontier is an incredibly incompetent company. I'm sure that's not the craziest and most illogical thing that they've come up with. Here, their database and website are totally broken, so it's virtually impossible to figure out what service they offer where. It's sad when a company can make you miss the deathstar.

15. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Late to the game, but the Frontier Direct Forum has resolved several cable card issues for me when talking to the regular CSR's was a total waste. They are slow but will respond, Frontier Direct forum | DSLReports, ISP Information

16. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    well i tried 1 last time still no luck,csr didn't know what nba tv was,she eventually found it only in the extreme package and not in the sports package. Then i asked about the nba league pass and she said they didn't have it! But i know for a fact they do,Clearly frontier does not train their people properly.