What HD receivers can sony 3000 control?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by vikecowboy, Jul 30, 2007.

1. vikecowboy

vikecowboy New Member

Oct 29, 2003

Advertisements

My Sony B55 receiver just went bad and I need to replace it. I currenty have a stand alone Sony 3000 tivo and I use it to control the B55 with a serial cable. I am trying to decide if I should just buy another B55 or buy an HD receiver. I would like to keep the 3000 (it is paid for) controlling a receiver with the serial cable for that works really well.

Any thoughts as to my options?

Thanks

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Nearly all DirecTV receivers can be controlled by any Series 1/2 TiVo.

3. vikecowboy

vikecowboy New Member

Oct 29, 2003
    I think the newer HD directv receiver cannot be controlled with a serial cable. I am leaning on taking the easy way out and that is to just buy another B55. Maybe someday when the HD dust settles I will make the jump.

4. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    All Directv Receivers up to the D11 can be controlled with the Low Speed Data Cable (Similar to Serial, but different connections). The D11/12 and all HD Receivers can only be controlled with the IR Blaster.

5. vikecowboy

vikecowboy New Member

Oct 29, 2003

Advertisements

Nice of Direct TV to design the newer receivers so they could not be controlled by older TIVOs. At least they could make some cash by designing a converter box to handle the rs232 serial out of the TIVO and make it spit out data on a USB bus which the Directv receiver could understand and be controlled by.

Oh well...

6. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
  7. vikecowboy

vikecowboy New Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Looks great - thanks. However I think a guy named 4dthinker has asked if anyone has had any luck with this controlling an H20 but no one responded.

Have anyone tried this using a Sony 3000 and had it actually work on a H20??