What HD channels are we missing?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by mdh333, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Oct 3, 2006 #1 of 20
    mdh333

mdh333 New Member

Dec 9, 2002
    St Pete, FL

Advertisements

and who offers them? I just looked at other options in my area (Brighthouse & Knology cable, and Verizon FIOS), as well as Comcast and no one seems to offer many of the HD channels that I think exist.

NFL-HD (nobody was offering this...and I'm hoping that DTV will show the games in HD on channel 95 once NFL Network shows any live games)

TBS in HD? nobody

FX in HD...I heard someone mention that once...nobody.

Starz & Cinemax. That might be nice, though since I don't subscribe to either movie service I wouldn't get them anyway. But, they should be offered.

I'd like Fox sports in HD...but most services didn't seem to offer that, and DTV does if you have a different receiver than I do.

INHD & INHD2 - these seem to be fairly common, whatever they are.

National Geographic HD

2. Oct 3, 2006 #2 of 20
    lynesjc

lynesjc New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Simpsonville...
    Food and MTV for sure.

3. Oct 3, 2006 #3 of 20
    TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    There is no FX HD, no TBS HD (although I bet they gear up by the time they carry MLB next year), and INHD2 is going away, apparently. DISH has the most HD channels, by far, but there really are none actually worth watching that can't be had from DTV, at least right now and for the foreseeable future.

4. Oct 3, 2006 #4 of 20
    bwaldron

bwaldron New Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Brandon, FL
    FIOS does carry NFL-HD, as well Starz, Cinemax and Natl Geo HD.

5. Oct 4, 2006 #5 of 20
    newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA

Advertisements

623 Wealth TV HD
    624 Outdoor Channel HD
    619 Comcast Sports HD

6. Oct 4, 2006 #6 of 20
    kdonnel

kdonnel DVC-BCV

Nov 28, 2000
    Metro...
    For those of use living in Atlanta there is most definitely a TBS HD if you have an OTA antenna.

7. Oct 4, 2006 #7 of 20
    dscott72

dscott72 New Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Newnan, GA
    Not sure about the other cable operators, but the one I work for does offer TBS HD. But then again, they have been slow to offer new channels.

8. Oct 4, 2006 #8 of 20
    TyroneShoes

Sep 6, 2004
    No, but there is a WTBS channel in Atlanta, which is not quite the same as the TBS "Superstation" service provided as a national cable/sat channel. TBS used to be a WTBS simulcast, but hasn't been for many years.

9. Oct 4, 2006 #9 of 20
    EMoMoney

EMoMoney Big and Tall

Oct 30, 2001
    Abingdon,...
    I just checked Dish's HD Platinum package and this is what they offer:
    Showtime HD
    Starz HDTV
    HBO HD
    Animania HD
    Family Room HD
    GamePlay HD
    Discovery HD Theater
    Equator HD
    National Geographic Channel HD
    DISH Network PPV in HD
    Film Fest HD
    Food Network HD
    HDNet Movies
    Kung Fu HD
    Monsters HD
    World Cinema HD
    HDNews
    Rave HD
    ESPN HD
    ESPN2 HD
    NFL Network HD
    Rush HD
    WorldSport HD
    Gallery HD
    HDNet
    HGTV HD
    TNT HD
    Treasure HD
    Ultra HD
    Universal HD

10. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
    Yea, but it's only really used as an HD channel for local/home Braves games, which have ended for 6 months... I wish they'd show more HD content. Perhaps it's coming. A few months ago, for about a week, they did some up-converstion of all SD content, similar to what they do on TNT-HD.

Off-topic a little: I'm still trying to figure out how Comcast in Atlanta is getting away with not carrying WUPA's (CW affiliate) digital signal. They do have WUPA on their digital tier, but it's their analog feed QAM modulated, not their DTV signal. WUPA does carry some HD material and I've seen it OTA, but it's not on Comcast. Anyone know how they are getting away with that?

11. TyroneShoes

Sep 6, 2004
    So, IOW, for a lot more money, not really much worth watching beyond what everyone else offers.

12. dscott72

dscott72 New Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Newnan, GA
    Was thinking pretty much the same thing. Other than Food Network in HD, not much more that I would really want to watch in the first place.

13. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i had no idea about kung fu channel avaliable to me! ....tossing 3 tivos and the dish out the window now lol

14. mroot

mroot Member

Mar 13, 2004
    Omaha
    God help us if they come out with an HD Shopping Channel before SciFi HD.

15. ShiningBengal

ShiningBengal Curmudgeon Emeritus

Mar 19, 2001
    Minneapolis,...
    The only one on this list that I would watch and am not now getting is National Geographic HD. The rest are pretty much there for bragging rights. (Kung Fu???? :rolleyes: )

16. BarneyTC

BarneyTC New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    South Florida
    If you are a D* subscriber you are missing EVERYTHING in HD.

D* offers only PD (Poor Definition) in place of what others call SD, and MD (Mediocre Definition) in place of what others call HD.

I must agree with Rupert Murdock, D* truly is a "turd bird".

17. toneman

toneman This space for rent

Oct 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Is that a regional thing? I ask because I don't see it listed on the channel lineup that's available on D* web page... :confused:

18. kdonnel

kdonnel DVC-BCV

Nov 28, 2000
    Metro...
    They are getting away with it because their customer base has not demanded they carry the digital station.

I don't think there are any must carry rules for digital stations yet.

The cable companies have to work out carry agreements for each station.

Even DirecTV is not carrying the SD version of CW in markets they used to carry WB and UPN.

19. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    i went to my local cable company site to cut/paste what they have that we dont....that wasn't already listed by any other poster

20. dschuetz

dschuetz New Member

Oct 25, 2001
    Centreville,...
    There's a thread on the AVS Forums that compares all the big services' HD offerings:

[for some reason, the software here thinks I've not posted before, and I can't put the link in the message here. It's on avsforum (I can't even put in the server name!), topic 419472, in the HDTV Programming Forum. Looks like it's a sticky topic about 5 or 6 down.]

Check out the fourth post for a table of channels vs E*, D*, Cox, Comcast, FIOS, etc.