What happens when I remove my 2nd drive?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Marino13, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Marino13

Marino13 New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    I added a weaknees 300GB drive to my original when I got the unit. I know that it will not work when I remove the second drive and put the unit back to original spec's but what will actually happen when I try to power on the unit? Will it sit there at the Welcome, starting up... screen or just do nothing?

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    If you re-image it to the original specs it should boot just fine. However, if the hard drive has a faulty partition it might not. Just try it and see what happens.

Why do you want to remove the 300GB drive?

3. Marino13

Marino13 New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    No, I mean I unplug the second drive and hook up the first drive to the HR10-250 by itself without modifying it. It will be wanting to see the second drive and it will not be there. I am just curious because I have read that once that if you add a second drive you cannot just take it out and run a one drive system again. You would have to re-image it. Basically, if I do not re-image the original drive after taking out the second one, what will the result be when I boot the HR10-250?

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I believe you will see the Powering Up screen since that doesn't come from the drive, but from the boot ROM chip.

5. Marino13

Marino13 New Member

Jan 16, 2007

Thank you.