What happens if I cancel Comcast?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by zabolots, Jan 9, 2020.

1. zabolots

zabolots Member

May 24, 2007
    NW Chicago...
    I have a TiVo Bolt and a TiVo Premier, both with cablecards from Comcast. I also have 3 TiVo minis tied to the Bolt.

I am considering dropping my Comcast subscription and returning the CableCards. Will anything in my setup still work if I do this or do the TiVo's require the cablecards to be inserted and subscribed to be able to do stuff like watch Netflix/Amazon/Plex/etc?

Thanks in advance.

2. TostitoBandito

TostitoBandito Active Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Mill Creek, WA
    You should still be able to stream via apps, but you'd honestly be better off with a sub-$50 device like a fire stick or Roku. Much better experience and app support.

Bigg and RightHere like this.
  3. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    What boxes do you have? They may work perfectly with an antenna, but impossible to tell from your description.

4. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Tivos require a Tivo subscription to allow what you're discussing, but they have no need for any Comcast services other than as an internet provider

5. zabolots

zabolots Member

May 24, 2007
    NW Chicago...
    Both my Bolt and Premier have lifetime TiVo subs, I'm just curious how they'll behave when I need to send the CableCards back to Comcast. Will my TiVo mini's still be able to stream Netflix/Amazon/etc by remaining "connected" to the Bolt, even though it won't be "tuning" anything anymore?

My Premier does support OTA but I am not planning on getting an big HD antenna at the moment and the cheap window unit's don't work for me due to my distance from the towers.

6. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    To affirm what others have already said, Yes, all your streaming will still work fine on all your Tivos. But a cheap streaming device does all of that much better than any Tivo. So you'd be better off just selling them.

chiguy50 and dlfl like this.
  7. mpf541

mpf541 Member

Nov 24, 2009
    As long as you are able to get OTA on your tivo i suspect you will be very happy not having to pay comcast monthly. I am very happy i did it almost a year ago now. There were a couple channels I missed off cable but i found ways around that. Sling is much cheaper.

I watch mostly OTA shows and really will use the smart apps on my TV for other stuff. tivo never updates the apps they supply but my TV gets updates all the time.

8. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    There is no such thing as an "HD antenna", but I'd definitely get a big VHF/UHF or UHD antenna, depending on your market. Free OTA TV on TiVo is great.