1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What happens if I add a 2nd Romaio?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Roveer, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Roveer

Roveer Member

May 27, 2003
    So I have a Romaio DVR upgraded to 4TB feeding 5 Mini's. It's wonderful. I do however run into "no available tuners" once in a while. Get a few shows recording, get a few Mini's left playing video and you can exhaust your 6 tuners.

Probably won't add a 2nd tivo just to fix that occasional problem, but was wondering what would happen if I did add a 2nd tivo. Here's my specific question:

Would the content from both Romaio's be seen seemlesly across both DRV's and not force someone on a mini to have to remember or know what content is on each DVR? That would be the ultimate experience. Having to switch DVR's to find your content would be a non-starter in my household.

Thanks,

Roveer

2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    You have a no starter then. Switching hosts is easy, however.

3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    For whatever it's worth, I currently have 2 Roamio's and no Mini's, and it's pretty easy and low-hassle to know where the content is: if not on the current box, simply switch on-screen to the other box and there it is. ;) One could even develop a storage "system"--e.g. major networks on one box, and PBS and "subsidiary" stations on the other.

Teeps and PCurry57 like this.
  4. Roveer

Roveer Member

May 27, 2003
    Tivo should consider this a feature enhancement to unify multiple DVR's so that you can use them seamlessly. Devices requesting a Tuner should roll over automatically as well. Basically just make the system virtual so the hardware doesn't matter. Then market it to all of the current Tivo owners as a method to expand their system. I'm not sure why I would want to compartmentalize my Tivo's and have to remember where I stored stuff. I'd really just prefer if anything that was recorded was shown in the Tivo menu reguardless as to what physical device it was recorded on. Probably not enough interest to consider this, but making Tivo scale-able seems like a no-brainer.

5. Roveer

Roveer Member

May 27, 2003
    Human driven content management? No thanks. That's what software is for. Consider my situation. 6 people in the house. 7 watching locations. 3-4 shows recording in prime time and 3-4 people watching TV or having left a Mini (or multiple mini's) watching a show (I always hit the tivo button before I turn off the TV but I'll never train my family to do that), and bam, out of tuners. Getting messages saying it needs the tuner to start a new recording or unable to watch live TV. I've actually had to go to the basement to hit the Tivo button to free up a tuner. A unified software layer would handle all of that automatically and resolve the "no available tuner" or "need your tuner" messages because it could automatically rollover to a new device/tuner. Also, a unified software layer would resolve any need to manually catalog your content to a specific hardware device and then have to remember where you put it or switch (however easy) to it. Unified software should make that happen for us. That is where we are in the evolution of intelligent software in 2017.

I pushed and pushed for the D button switch to HD content a few years back and it eventually happened. Not sure if it was because of me, but it happened. I think this is a worthy of consideration and if it sells more Tivo hardware, even better for tivo.

Roveer

6. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I don't think that anyone is disagreeing with you--your original post just was asking how the current mechanics work. Probably, people would agree that this would be nice.

Rather, people simply have been pointing out that matters are not at all "difficult" otherwise, lol. Really, no real issue of "manually catalog"'ing, making it sound like it's the Library of Congress in action. ;)

7. Roveer

Roveer Member

May 27, 2003
    Your right. I'm getting a little wrapped up in all of this. My Tivo environment is probably a little different than most with the large number of mini's and 4TB of storage. I've literally got hundreds of shows, series, pytivo'd custom recordings etc. In my environment it would not be practical to try and keep that in memory and switch around (hunting). Not everybody is dealing with that much content. In my particular situation it seems like a good idea, for others it may seem like needless overkill. I'm just always thinking about how to make Tivo better. After all, a few years back tivo was becoming marginalized with all the new stuff that was coming out. They did a pretty good job of bringing the brand back to life and I'd hate to see it fall on hard times again.

I've been Tivo'd since Series 1 when I had it RF Modulated (with ir remote control) to every TV in the house. That was mind blowing back then, and it's still mind blowing today. I'm saving 70/month in Rental equipment and paying 5 bucks a month for my cable card. That's what I really love about Tivo!

8. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I think it's a great idea--especially handy as, as you noted, storage has gone up. Likewise, as others have noted for a while, user-customizable folders.

9. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    That's kinda how the DirecTV HDR-2x worked. The now showing list was transparently shared between DVR's. When playing it would I program info show the source DVR name. The down side though was no way whatsoever if all tuners were busy to initiate a recording on the other DVR without physically going to the other room or doing it online.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (SM-T817P)

10. AntiPC

AntiPC Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Chicago,...
    I started the current setup with a Roamio basic (4 tuners) on a cable card, and 4 minis. Feeling squeezed both on storage and tuners, I added a Roamio OTA on the roof antenna. The only thing you have to remember is whether the show is on a broadcast or cable station to find it without checking both devices. The cable card is my "included device", so there's no additional fee, and if I cancel Comcast, the broadcast season passes will continue to record on the OTA.

11. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    hahaha, people have been talking about this here for WELL over a decade..

it never came, and with TONS of tuners available now (e.g. 6 tuners on one device), I'd say it's thus even lower priority than ever.. as in never.

Plus, the 'roll over automatically' could be bad too.. I'm someone who never wants recordings automatically deleted (though it sometimes happens, and I'm pretty darn near 100% on one of my tivos tonight).. so having a recording pushed to another one and thus cause something else to get deleted would be bad.

12. Roveer

Roveer Member

May 27, 2003
    Well maybe it's time Tivo starts talking about it. 6 Tuners is most certainly not a ton of tuners. Not when you consider larger environments with lots of simultaneous recording/watching. Since we are seeing HD's as large as 10TB, running out of disk space should no longer be a problem as long as Tivo will open up storage capabilities and allow such things.

To me it seems like the logical progression of the platform.

13. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    If you have a tivo app on smart phone or tablet, you can use the remote feature to hit the culprit mini's TiVo button rather than going to the basement.

14. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Thing is, with more tuners in a box the use case goes way down for having this feature. At one point there were plenty of folks that had multiple boxes in the same room, which was a much stronger use case for a single list. Plus, with the future of a headless box and potential cloud solutions, I think the likelihood of this happening is fairly close to zero.

My crystal ball calls for folders/profiles, which is a growing need with larger storage solutions, well before single list of shows.

15. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    This has been requested for so long, and seems like such a natural (and fairly easy to implement, from my simple point-of-view--a simple folder browser functioning?). I wonder if there is any chance of it.

16. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I did not say I thought it would actually happen, just that it would happen first. :)

17. Roveer

Roveer Member

May 27, 2003
    Yeah, I gave up on the Tivo app because it as failed to successfully stream ANYTHING to ANY device I have installed it on for more than 2 minutes. All while those devices stream tons of other apps and media from my NAS and the internet, but thanks for the tip.

18. Roveer

Roveer Member

May 27, 2003
    You just simplified my feature suggestion. Now all I want is a 10-12 tuner Box with 10TB storage capability. Problem solved for me.

---update---

I just popped over to: A Guide to Upgrading Your Tivo Bolt, Tivo Premiere, Tivo Roamio, Tivo Roamio OTA, Tivo HD, Tivo Series 3 or Tivo Series 2 (Easily upgrade your Tivo Bolt, Roamio or Premiere to 300 Hours+ HD Capacity) - Also includes instructions on how to fix a broken Tivo. and realized that I can jazz up my Romaio to 8TB. So very cool.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  19. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I was just going to say, vis-à-vis your update. And/or alternatively, 3 Roamio OTA boxes, to get both your tuner and storage space (after updating the hard drives) preferences.