What happened to Thumbs Up/Down?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by wecnews, Dec 12, 2019.

1. wecnews

wecnews Member

Oct 19, 2009
    OK -- Tivo really has gone down the tubes lately.

I've been with them since series 1 and I have nothing else.

No DVR, no firestick, roku, anything. I've been all in.

But the new interface a few years ago has been a disaster and never worked right for me, I grit my teeth and beared it but also, I've realized something else that's wrong.

My thumbs up/ thumbs down button's don't work anymore.

I press them and I get nothing.

If I go to tivo suggestions now I get 8 episodes of "Two and a half men recorded" one after the other after the other.

I hate that show, I delete them, and the next day it records them again as suggestions. I try to hit thumbs down, and the system doesn't respond.

There's no way to tell it what I like and don't like anymore.

I'm sorry tivo, the reason I chose you was because I love how you married a computer with tv watching and seemed to know what I like.

I would come home and find shows you suggested, that I would have never tried on my own, but 9 times out of ten your suggestions were on the money.

Or if you like I liked a certain show, and I wasn't home to watch it and it wasn't programmed to record, you would sense it and do it for me.

That's what made you special.

Now, I feel like you are just like many other platforms, a place to stream content and schedule recordings.

Anyhoo -- was this a recent or old change? am I just noticing this?

SeeOurBeach and mahSachel like this.
  2. pfiagra

pfiagra Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
  3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    They work on TE3; Suggestions on TE4 (the most "modern" UI) hasn't worked ever since TiVo brought out a fancy new algorithm and system for it. It's been over a year-and-a-half this way--is TiVo even trying to fix it (as it said, back then, that it would be)?

jrtroo and wbrightfl like this.
  4. wbrightfl

wbrightfl Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Orlando,...
    Yes they still work on all of my units but I only use TE3.

5. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    Since thumb ratings have been deprecated, it was as 'accidental' as transfers being removed, and about as likely to return.

6. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    But why do that to a main, advertised feature? I just don't get it.

7. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    My decision not to upgrade to TE4 is looking better and better with each passing day.

8. bkc56

bkc56 Designated Grunt

Apr 29, 2001
    Santa Rosa,...
    Hmm, I hadn't noticed.

We always have suggestions turned off, and almost never manually rated programs (no point).

9. jcliff

jcliff Member TCF Club

May 23, 2017
    Hilariously I don't do this often, but I was trying to recently and could not figure out what I was doing wrong. Thanks!

10. stile99

Feb 26, 2002
    There's the million dollar question. It's almost as if someone with no good will of their own who neither understood nor cared about TiVo bought the company for the purpose of extracting all the cash and good will they could while they could, with the intent of leaving only a desiccated husk when they were done.

Say what you will, but you have to admit they're doing an excellent job.

11. lucidrenegade

lucidrenegade Member

Aug 20, 2013
    They got a 'thumbs down' from Tivo

12. Charles R

Charles R Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    My guess... when porting the software (to TE4) they noted its usage wasn't worth porting for any number of reasons. Such as hardly anyone uses it to (as implemented) its value as content becomes more merged going forward.

In my case after close to two decades of TiVo I have never viewed one recommendation. :)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  13. jcliff

jcliff Member TCF Club

May 23, 2017
    But it did seem to work for telling TiVo what not to record.

I cannot seem to convince TE4 that I don't want to watch reality TV court shows or NCIS anything. You've just got no options. If you delete something without watching it 20 times, you'd think that would make it a -3, but if you check the ratings via KMTTG (which do still seem to accumulate, weirdly) it'll have you at like a +3 on all the stuff you hate.

I'd guess it's more Netflix style and rates what you *interact* with as opposed to what you claim to like. Even if it's just to delete something and say "bad TiVo!"

Disconnects the Bolt and places it in a corner to think about what it's done.

14. Charles R

Charles R Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    Not that I really pay attention to such but I thought it was driven "globally" not based on an individual user (you). Way back there was/is a link to its AI.

15. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    The new algorithm is the sole reason I have not updated.

wbrightfl likes this.
  16. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Tivo needs to start listen to its customers. Stop with the ads in the interface. Stop with the ads on this forum, that get in the way. Stop changing things for the sake of change. If it works, leave it alone!

SeeOurBeach and JKR123 like this.
  17. stile99

Feb 26, 2002
    Insert Nathan Fillion gif here.

18. mahSachel

mahSachel New Member

Dec 29, 2019
    I just got a Bolt for Christmas, I had TiVo for a decade, been away for a few years, this interface is total ****, the cool sounds and animated guy are gone (fine whatever) but thumbs, the most essential part of the experience no longer work. whoever suggested removing the thumbs should be fired, I read a software update listing and it said they were removed to eliminate confusion as per its function. subscription will be cancelled Monday and the box goes back to BestBuy if they don't have a software rollback for me.

19. mahSachel

mahSachel New Member

Dec 29, 2019
    welcome to America, spirit of capitalism actually I am surprised the company has managed to hang on this long.

20. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...