What Happened To The Tivo App On The Amazon FireStick?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Bobby-Tivo, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Jan 8, 2018 #1 of 38
    Bobby-Tivo

Bobby-Tivo Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Atlanta

Advertisements

It stopped letting me login, now it has disappeared from the app store. Any idea why they stopped supporting this?

2. Jan 8, 2018 #2 of 38
    Bobby-Tivo

Bobby-Tivo Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Atlanta
  3. Jan 8, 2018 #3 of 38
    caughey

caughey Member

May 26, 2007
    Orange County
    "new one in the works" -- I'll start holding my breath now.

computersteve likes this.
  4. Jan 8, 2018 #4 of 38
    Bobby-Tivo

Bobby-Tivo Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Atlanta
    Suicide:dizzy: is NOT the answer. :tonguewink:

b_scott and computersteve like this.
  5. Jan 8, 2018 #5 of 38
    jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland

Advertisements

Sideload the android app instead.

6. Jan 8, 2018 #6 of 38
    NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Ha! Well, TiVo did just announce a new platform that they will license to cable operators which will allow subscribers to use upcoming TiVo apps (with the new Hydra UI) on their own Apple TV, Fire TV and Android TV retail streaming devices to access the cable provider's IP services -- linear IPTV channels, IP VOD, cloud DVR -- from their servers. It sounds like the platform will also allow for the operator to deploy their own branded STB running the new TiVo app atop an Android TV or Linux OS, which I assume would be necessary for operators that have yet to fully switch from QAM to IPTV. (The STBs they deploy would contain the QAM tuners.) I'm guessing that, in such a scenario, the TiVo app on a retail device would essentially act like a TiVo Mini, fetching QAM-based TV from the main STB running Android TV or Linux.

The question for existing retail owners is whether these new TiVo apps for Apple TV, Fire TV and Android TV would also recognize and work with current TiVo Bolts, Roamios, etc., to fetch live and locally recorded TV. Given that TiVo Ted has said that they're replacing the old Fire TV app -- which was intended for and used by retail TiVo owners -- I'm guessing that these new apps will do that. If so, I wonder how much TiVo will charge for the app. It was one thing to provide a rough beta project like the old Fire TV app for free but these new apps will have to be slick. If they could essentially replace a TiVo Mini, I would think TiVo would charge *something* for the app. Otherwise, sales of their new $180 Mini Vox will crater.

7. Jan 8, 2018 #7 of 38
    Bobby-Tivo

Bobby-Tivo Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Atlanta
    Side loading the android app doesn't work, at least it didn't when I tried it last. They might have updated it since then, I'll give it a try today if I can, if not then this weekend.

UPDATE: I just tried it, it's a no-go. It just force closes. I even installed Play services & the Play store because some apps won't run without one or both of them, it still force closed.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  8. Jan 8, 2018 #8 of 38
    rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    They're working on it, soon I hope. Tivo has discontinued use of Tivo App for Fire TV

Bobby-Tivo likes this.
  9. Jan 8, 2018 #9 of 38
    ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

that's just one opinion they probably will be free in the app store

10. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    We'll see. Could be totally free but I don't know why TiVo would do that. If I were them, I'd make the app free to install, with free program guide, but to access live or recorded TV from a Tivo (ie, function like a Mini), I'd charge $5 a month with the first week free.

11. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Why? It's already "free" to view recorded shows on iOS, Android or any browser via online.tivo.com

12. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    Lots of stuff is free to do on mobile but not on the big screen. With pay TV providers, you can typically use their app to watch your stuff on multiple phones and tablets for free but they'll charge you to do that per TV.

13. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    But an app is more like a mini, which is one time purchase.

mrsean likes this.
  14. NashGuy

May 2, 2015
    Yes, for awhile now Minis have been a one-time purchase with lifetime service. But that wasn't originally the case, was it? At any rate, regardless of *how* Tivo decides to monetize their new apps, it seems likely to me that they *will* do so. Why leave money on the table and hurt sales of the Mini by giving pretty much the same functionality away for free?

15. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Yes, if it streams live tv like the mini then I could see it hurting sales. If I could buy a "mini like" device that would stream live tv outside of the house too I would purchase that product. But actively paying a monthly fee for using an app on my device... Maybe a one-time fee for the app as someone did get paid to make it. IDK, I guess it depends what this app could do. It will be interesting to see what happens.

16. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    True, but they really don’t make much on the mini now since it is a one time purchase and not very expensive. Deduct hardware manufacturing, stocking and maintenance and there isn’t a lot left. So, sell the app fo something like $19.99 and you are good to go.

If the app needs a tuner, then you focus your sales on the hub.

17. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    A Mini is way better than this app, just buy one.

18. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Totally agree on this. Apps will always be clunky and slower. And probably missing some features.

The only plus the app could have is if you can use it reliably outside the home or inside via WiFi.

19. Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013
    I think you are thinking of retail. What if you make the app functional only for cable companies? What if you strip all the interfaces off of your TiVo and include a modem and router.

The cable company would simply have to run coaxial cable into the home, and set up the box right by the point of entry. The customer would purchase Amazon fire sticks for each TV and/or run ethernet cable if he has poor wifi. Think how much faster installation and malfunction truck rolls would be for the cable company.

My Pace MG1 TiVo DVR box already has a DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem with 8 downstream x 4 upstream bonded channels. RCN doesn't use it (I suspect because of limited number of channels).

Interfaces (Back Panel)
    1 x HDMI 1.4 Audio/Video out with HDCP copy protection
    Dual switched HDMI inputs
    Component Video RCA output (Y, Pb, Pr)
    Composite Video Output
    L/R RCA Stereo Output
    5.1 Digital Audio Optical (S/PDIF) output
    5.1 Digital Audio RCA (S/PDIF) output
    2 x USB 2.0 ports
    1 x 10/100 Ethernet port
    SD card slot for Time Shift Buffer
    eSATA port for external HDD support
    Optional IEEE 1394 port

20. tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    I'm not sure what I'm missing here, but today I used the Fire TV Tivo app to watch my Tivo Roamio on a TV in another room. my Roamio and Fire TV are both in my house on the same ethernet network (in different rooms) , so is only out of home viewing dead?
    if so, is there any method to watch on a TV not in your home on any device?