What happened to Syfy's original programming?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by gweempose, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Mar 6, 2020 #1 of 43
    gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I was just perusing through the guide and I noticed that Syfy barely has any original shows on anymore. Unless I missed something, Wynona Earp and The Magicians appear to be the only two shows still airing, and both of them have been around for a while. Most of their prime-time schedule consists of movies, and many of them aren't even science fiction. What the heck happened to this channel? They used to have so many great original scripted shows.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  2. Mar 6, 2020 #2 of 43
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    They have a few new ones coming up, but they're concentrating on making money and new shows cost money, so they've apparently moved to more movies.
    However that doesn't mean they're not doing anything new, Vagrant Queen is on the way as is Resident Alien

3. Mar 6, 2020 #3 of 43
    Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    SyFy went downhill for me after they cancelled The Expanse.

thewebgal, stellie93 and kpeters59 like this.
  4. Mar 6, 2020 #4 of 43
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The guide descriptions are great. :)

Magicians 3/11: "Margo learns to project. Josh goes to the spa."

Mikeguy, tim1724 and Tony_T like this.
  5. Mar 6, 2020 #5 of 43
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, I think their problem is in recent years, they've had a number of good but expensive shows that just didn't make enough money. With Magicians ending, I think the only ones they have left are Van Helsing, Wynonna Earp, and that vampire apocalypse thing (is that still running?), all of which seem very cheaply made.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the direction they're going in. Fortunately, Resident Alien at least seems like a show that would be easy to make both good and cheap (it's based on a very good comic book). Vagrant Queen is also based on a comic, but it seems to me that would be harder to do both well and cheaply.

gweempose likes this.
  6. Mar 6, 2020 #6 of 43
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I wonder if SyFy is going to go the way of many niche networks and just offer general content or move to show something else. For example AMC used to be old movies but now shows general content. Travel channel (which changed to Trvl) shows nothing but paranormal now, almost nothing on Travel. I agree with Rob, it just feels like these networks just buy content on the cheap and show it rather than spend the money to develop their own content. If you own a series of networks perhaps you now limit your original scripted content to just a few channels now. For Comcast owned channels, they already have USA, so maybe that's where original content will be pushed to.

7. Mar 6, 2020 #7 of 43
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Syfy is still developing their own content, but they seem to have gotten out of the prestige-show business. In the current fragmented market, it's hard for little channels to get the kind of numbers that can support an expensive show (like, e.g., Expanse). It kinda looks like they've given up even trying, and are looking for original material that can be done on the cheap.

gweempose likes this.
  8. Mar 6, 2020 #8 of 43
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    The Magicians in particular has been doing this for a while and agreed, it's wonderfully hilarious and good at not giving spoilers.

Steveknj and HerronScott like this.
  9. Mar 6, 2020 #9 of 43
    rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
    SyFy used to have a new original movie every Saturday night.

10. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I guess they ran out of Sharknados. Pretty much any movie they made for TV could have easily ended up as fodder for Mystery Science Theater 3000.

cwerdna and tim1724 like this.
  11. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I'm pretty sure that most of their "Syfy Originals" were movies that were made elsewhere (as in, Eastern Europe) and bought up on the cheap...

dianebrat likes this.
  12. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    FYP.

The network seems to oscillate between having unique programming and serving up leftovers. They grow a fan base, decide the programs fueling that fan base are too expensive, cut back.

dcheesi, David Ortiz and tim1724 like this.
  13. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    fixed ;)

thewebgal likes this.
  14. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 26, 2017
    Elizabeth, CO
    SyFy used to be my go to network - Eureka, Warehouse 13, Sanctuary, Dark Matter, Killjoys, The Expanse and I am sure I am forgetting a few. Now with all of those cancelled or moved I m done I tried Magicians but I didnt even get through the first season. Now with show like The Feed on Amazon and Stranger Things on Netflix I get all I need of that type of show

ke3ju likes this.
  15. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    ...and The Expanse on Amazon :)

16. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    They've had a bunch of great shows over the years. Besides the ones you mentioned, there was Farscape, BSG, 12 Monkeys, and all the Stargate shows. Even some of their second tier shows were pretty entertaining like Lost Girl, Alphas, Defiance, Haven, etc ...

17. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017

gweempose likes this.
  18. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 26, 2017
    Elizabeth, CO
    I guess i wasn't kidding when I said I am forgetting a few. Everything you listed except for Farscape and 12 Monkeys are shows I watched

19. KDeFlane

KDeFlane Active Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    Raise a glass for "Helix" which was too crazy to last. I see nothing on the horizon to give me hope.

Coming later this month:
    "Vagrant Queen" -- based on comics

Coming this summer:
    "Resident Alien" -- based on comics

in development:
    "The League of Pan" -- Peter Pan & Wendy & Neverland ten years later
    "Chucky" -- spinoff from the "Child's Play" movie franchise

pilots ordered for evaluation:
    "Cult Classic" -- teens stalked by serial killer
    "Cipher" -- fighting the war over A.I.

tim1724 likes this.
  20. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Resident Alien was a great comic, and could be a great show...but not in the old-school SciFi way. More in the USA way.

Only two issues of Vagrant Queen have come out, and I haven't really formed an opinion yet.