what happened to Rocketboom?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jim_h, Mar 30, 2011.

1. jim_h

jim_h New Member

May 6, 2008
    No new episodes since early this month.

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Yeah, I saw "Stare, Think", the other day, but that was a duplicate from March 10th. Checking on Rocketboom.com, they do have new eps since then.

http://www.rocketboom.com/rss/hd.xml

3. taronga

taronga Member

Nov 15, 2006
    KY
    I noticed in the history that my Tivo has been trying to download Rocketboom, but it says "This program was not downloaded onto this DVR because it was not found on the source."

4. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    After I got an HD TV and started using an HDMI cable on my HD Tivo, i found that Rocketboom and a few other of the digital downloads have no audio. The New York Times stuff works beautifully.
    Therefore, I canceled my SP to everything but the New York Times stuff. (Apple Byte didn't work either.)

5. TiVoStephen

TiVoStephen formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Jun 27, 2000
    Alviso, CA, USA
    We're working with Rocketboom to restore the feed; they were having some issues hosting the file on their side. Sorry for the problem!

6. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    The Apple Byte has been OK for me. It's WSJ/Walt Mossberg that doesn't know how to set the proper bit rates for audio encoding so the audio is unusable. I dropped him.

7. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    The NYT stuff bothers me, because they can't get the aspect ratio right. At least this is the case with David Pogue's show. But, I digress.

I'm not seeing the failed Rocketboom transfers in my history.

The link I posted above works as a Custom Feed, but the videos don't quite come out right on my S3 -- they appear as 4:3 with the right side cropped. This is how they used to appear with the regular TiVo feed, back when it first went HD, before they were fixed. None of the other feeds I can find on the site work. So, it may be that they had a special feed for TiVo which is now broken or discontinued.

Edit: OK, a new ep showed up on my TiVo while I was typing that. Also, I found the "tivo-hd" link under Downloads on Rocketboom.com. (No RSS for it, though; just the current episode.)

I don't know why they need a separate feed for TiVo vs. their regular 720p h264. I think they're doing something wrong in their encoding.

Edit 2: Ah -- their so-called HD feed is 960x540. And their "tivo-hd" feed is 960x720! Their "hd-720p" version is a full 1280x720, but it's in a MOV container, so it won't play on the TiVo without remuxing. Lame.

8. Apr 1, 2011 #8 of 18
    jim_h

jim_h New Member

May 6, 2008
    Thanks TivoStephen. A new one came through yesterday.

9. stegers

stegers New Member

Apr 3, 2008
    April 18, and I haven't seen a new Rocketboom downloaded for about a month. I am still getting a couple other videoblogs, but the frequency seems diminished.

I went searching to see how to get a Season's Pass for videoblogs and I can't even find that on my TiVo menu anymore. Can anyone give me step-by-step instructions?

10. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    TiVo with HD menus: Go to TiVo Central > Find TV, Movies, & Videos > Browse Web Videos
    TiVo with SD menus: Go to TiVo Central > Video On Demand > Free VOD and Web Videos

Select the podcast that you want and you will have the option to set up the season pass

11. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I've been getting a couple new ones a week.
    I haven't looked at their website though to see how many I'm not getting.

12. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    I didn't know anyone watched it since Amanda Congdon got fired...

13. stegers

stegers New Member

Apr 3, 2008
    jrm01, thanks for that. Video On Demand it is.

14. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Now you do.

15. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    I've only seen it since it's been on TiVo, and Joanne Colan was the host when that started.

16. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Amanda was still doing Rocketboom when I started watching it and I have only ever watched it on Tivo.

17. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    Ah... for me, she wasn't, since TiVoCast came late to the Series 3 (and the S3 itself post-dates her). But I see now that she was on the S2 for about six months.

18. Schmye Bubbula

Schmye Bubbula Member

Oct 14, 2004