What happened to my rewind!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Watter, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Watter

Watter New Member

Apr 10, 2004

Advertisements

One of Tivo's best features is the skip back/forward a few seconds that takes place when you press play after fast-forwarding or rewinding, however in the past when FF or RR just one level there was no skip back (this is as it should be). This is still the case for FF, however now, my when I RR with just one arrow, I'm getting a noticible 1-2 second skip forward.

It's maddening!!!!

So when I FF past a commercial or through a show with 2x or 3x FF, I quite often miss my mark by just a second or two even with the automatic skip back. Until very recently, it was easy to compensate for this by just 1xRR for a second. Now, when I 1xRR and get to the spot I want to, I actually skip forward enough so that I miss the opening few seconds of what I'm trying to watch. It's almost impossible to get it exactly to the spot I'm trying to reach.

When did this change? Is there any way I can change it back?

2. Watter

Watter New Member

Apr 10, 2004
    Whoops, I guess I should give some system details:

Tivo HD
    Recieved the fall update (I think that may have been when it started)

3. [NG]Owner

[NG]Owner Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Kansas City
    Ditto here. Need to readjust my trigger finger, that's all. And this change came at the same time as Fall Software Update.

[NG]Owner

4. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ok. I thought I was just going crazy.

Why would Tivo change something that has been in effect since the beginning?

5. pbienick

pbienick New Member

Jan 25, 2003

Advertisements

This must be fixed immediately. It makes no sense whatsoever to skip ahead after rewinding at single speed.

6. Watter

Watter New Member

Apr 10, 2004
    My sentiments exactly. Even if skip-ahead on 1xRR was objectively "better" somehow (and I don't think it is), why in the world would they want to modify this behavior that Tivo owners have grown so used to for years!?!

7. pbienick

pbienick New Member

Jan 25, 2003
    Did anyone try to claim that this was objectively better somehow? If so, I'd love to hear the reasoning. I seriously hope this is a bug.

8. Jan 4, 2009 #8 of 11
    richlove

richlove New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    I have noticed the same problem. Very irritating.
    Even worse, when you hit pause and then push rewind, it should just step back one frame. Instead it goes back several seconds. This is maddening when you are trying to watch a replay of a football play and are trying to do your own instant replay.
    This changed with some recent TIVO firmware upgrade.
    I sure hope this gets recognized as a bug and gets fixed in the next firmware update.

9. Jan 4, 2009 #9 of 11
    jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    When I overshoot commercials, I correct by pressing the instant replay button. I takes you back 8 seconds - sometimes this is too much, but I can usually tolerate watching the last few seconds of a commercial.

10. youvegotjunk

youvegotjunk New Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Florida
    I :thumbsdown:HATE:thumbsdown: the new rewind jump feature at 2X speed. It's ridiculous, unnecessary, and just plain silly. Please change it back to the :up:old way:up:. Or at least give us the option to change it back ourselves.

Thank you. :D

11. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ugg. I just rewound the same crap intro to SNL four times because of this bug. I can't stand it.