what happened to DrStrange? pvrcompare.com has a placeholder page now

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by cwerdna, Nov 12, 2007.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA

Advertisements

Anyone know what ever happened to DrStrange? Hopefully nothing bad happened to him.

I bring this up because I tried to lookup something on pvrcompare.com recently only to find a register.com placeholder page. It looks like he also hasn't posted in a LONG while.

I miss his thorough comparisons of various PVR software.

Maybe he got married and can't record 10 channels at once anymore? ;)

2. TiVo Troll

TiVo Troll Registered Troll

Mar 22, 2006
    DrStrange was TiVo's greatest advocate at the time of the great ReplayTV/TiVo War around the turn of the 21st Century and afterward. His comparisons are by far the most detailed of any electronic reviews I've ever read! Here is an all too brief cached sample of his work!

His last post on these Forums was over a year and a half ago.

I have no real information about the gentleman but suspect that he may have been significantly disabled one way or another. If he wasn't mobile it would explain why he used a half dozen or more TiVo's to constantly record programs, and how he had time to write such exquisitely detailed reviews about TiVo vs. other DVR's.

My hat is off!

3. azitnay

azitnay Active Member

Jan 20, 2003
    Washington,...
    I believe he passed away last year... I can't claim to have known him personally, but he was a good guy and a great advocate for TiVo.

Drew

4. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    What a shame. He was an asset to the community. Godspeed, Dr. Strange. :(

5. Fraser+Dief

Fraser+Dief New Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Otttawa, Canada

Advertisements

I've left instructions, usernames, passwords and url's, so that when I'm gone, my survivors will go online and post that I'm gone.

Now, it's likely that no one will care... ;)

6. mtchamp

mtchamp New Member

May 15, 2001
    MA
    I don't think we'll ever see such meticulously detailed research of competitive DVRs ever again. His presentation of the facts was beyond reproach. It was fun to watch him put his detractors to shame with his vast experience and knowledge of DVR functionality. A true professional. I loved his posts. I loved his work. I wish it weren't true that he's gone.

7. flaminio

flaminio New Member

May 21, 2004
    Redwood...
  8. fallingwater

fallingwater New Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Bellingham WA
  9. Jun 2, 2011 #9 of 11
    cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    ^bump

Any news or confirmation that he passed away? Yeah, it is fortunate that the Internet Wayback machine still has most of his work.

10. azitnay

azitnay Active Member

Jan 20, 2003
    Washington,...
    I have no new information... I'm pretty sure I saw his obituary a few years back though.

Drew

11. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    so is this a relative messing with us? :D