What happened to all the 'leaked' pilots this year?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TonyTheTiger, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Sep 9, 2011 #1 of 14
    TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Last year and previously, there were a number of 'leaked' pilots for new show floating around on the 'net. Many, if not all of these were almost certainly released by the studios to help create buzz for the shows.

This year I haven't seen anything about any pre-releases, authorized or otherwise. Have I just been asleep or did the studios decide that it didn't work?

2. Sep 9, 2011 #2 of 14
    dowalker

dowalker Member

Sep 29, 2002
    Spring Hill, FL
    Maybe because there are not any good shows this year?

:cool:

3. Sep 9, 2011 #3 of 14
    TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Precisely my thinking!

4. Sep 9, 2011 #4 of 14
    mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I think it was always the studios "leaking" them thinking if they got out more of their shows would be embraced. I think they figured out "leaking" them does not help one way or another...if it sucks it sucks.

5. Sep 9, 2011 #5 of 14
    sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    The worst thing is sometimes the pilot is not very good and the show turns out to be alright. 30 Rock comes to mind. I watched the pilot and said "meh" and everyone I know who watches the show is still enjoying it.

6. Sep 9, 2011 #6 of 14
    Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    At this stage, pilots are in the can and ready to air. It would be nice to be able to catch some prior to the start of the season. Because once the season starts I prbably won't have the time or inclination to sample them all.

3 or 4 years ago I remember when Amazon had free previews of Chuck, Life and Bionic Woman. I watched them all and that got me to watching them during the regular season. I think not releasing pilots a little early in some form is a mistake. Put them on Amazon, Hulu or iTunes and give people a chance to sample them on their own schedule before they are aired against more established shows.

7. Sep 9, 2011 #7 of 14
    dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    I just checked Amazon today to see if they had any of the pilots available. I ended up buying a number of episodes of Chuck after that promotion. More recently I got hooked on The Killing thinks to the free promo, and ended up buying the whole season through Amazon. I'm pretty sure Terriers was also offered free and ended up buying the whole thing. I don't have cable, so free pilots are pretty much the only way I'll end up sampling a new show.

8. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Last summer while staying in a hotel, their OnDemand had the Raising Hope and Lonestar pilots. It did nothing for Lonestar. I think Raising Hope would have done just fine without the early release.

I think we can safely assume that is was the networks who were leaking them in the past. You think they all got together and decided not to do it this year?

9. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    TiVo offered a pre-release of "New Girl," the new FOX comedy with Zooey Deschanel.

10. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    ^This!

11. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    How do I get it?

12. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    Comcast had it on their On Demand section. I watched it a few days ago.

13. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    I always thought it was the opposite. Bad shows, meaning shows that are likely to get panned by the critics, are candidates for being "leaked" Hope to get good word of mouth prior to the reviews.

Maybe the idea of encouraging non-traditional methods of viewing shows, PC and Amazon for example, isn't in the networks (current) interest.

14. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    The problem is that in today's culture, it's all about the ratings for the pilot episode. The entertainment media will immediately report a show that bombed in the ratings and the show will be dead in the water. Therefore, no execs* are willing to cannibalize the audience for their pilots.

*Except for the FOX execs, but they know that because The New Girl is airing after Glee, it will get a huge sampling anyway, regardless of whether they leak it early or not.