What grinds my gears...

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by ibndfan, Feb 15, 2018.

1. ibndfan

ibndfan New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    So I upgraded to the new interface in December. I've got a Bolt+, Mini Vox, and 3 other mini's. The new interface just doesn't operate as smooth for me as it should. It really feels like a late beta product that still needs some tweaking. Here are all the scenarios that I find pretty annoying. Wanted to put them out there in the suggestion box!

When watching live TV and the show changes (on the hour or half hour) to a show that you have set to record, you can’t rewind the live feed to the show you were watching live prior to the recording beginning.

After watching a show in the watch list, there is no good button to “Watch Next Episode” like the Netflix interface. You have to navigate to “All Episodes” or go another route to just watch the next one (many button clicks).

When watching live TV, but you are recording the show that you’re watching live, if you pause (get behind real-time), when you get to the end of the current show the video feed jumps to live (may be 20-30 minutes forward depending on how long the previous show was paused).

When hitting “Live TV” on the remote from the main Tivo menu, it most often just goes to channel “1”. The old interface would go to the last channel you were watching live. This seems to happen more frequently on Tivo mini and mini Vox units.

After Tivo mini has been sleeping, when you go back to the TV and hit live TV, the bar at the bottom thinks it’s watching one channel, but another channel is actually displaying. You have to hit ‘guide’ and re-select the channel it originally displayed in the information bar to watch it.

2. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Uninstall it and go back to gen3. Wait 6 months to a year for a more polished Hydra. That’s what I am doing.

3. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    I'm getting close to rolling back. I have a bunch of recorded Disney stuff we use when my grand daughter is over and I don't want to lose that. But each day I get closer to making the decision. I guess losing the Disney stuff wouldn't be so bad...isn't a lot of that stuff on Netflix?

I've seen all the problems ibndfan posted. Yesterday, trying to delete Olympics stuff...the "X" would appear but the show title would not go away unless I backed out and came back in. After deleting a few shows the GUI locked up. I used the thumbs down/thumbs up/play/play trick to get going again.

I often run into a problem just trying to play a recording where I'll get One Pass and other options...but no play option. In the last week this has gotten better...only because I've started selecting shows by the large tiles rather than from the All Shows screen.

And performance is slow and sluggish on my Roamio Plus. At my son's house last week, it was eye-opening watching him zip around on his TiVo running gen3.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Back up your shows and One Pass' and Thumbs Ratings with KMTTG.

It's simple to restore SP's and Thumbs again. Shows can be pushed back, too...

-KP

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  5. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Quite a bit of newer Disney is on Netflix yes. And as kpeters noted you could save the recordings to a PC and then copy them back after you uninstall Hydra. But it can be tricky making sure you set up everything correctly when copying, ie lots of folks on here use tools like kmttg and pyTiVo and they are pretty cool but you can run in to issues.

6. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    DisneyXD is 'locked' on Comcast Houston, too.

-KP

7. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    I've thought of that, not sure it's worth the effort. I could also get her Disney log in from my son and use the Disney channel on my Apple TV when she's here.

8. ibndfan

ibndfan New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Would love someone from TiVo to chime in- what are the chances of that? I’m a 15 year TiVo user but brand new to the forums. Some of these glitches just seem ridiculous. As soon as I put the Mini Vox into my system, I was forced to upgrade to the new UI.

9. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Locked as in copy-protected? It's not here in VA with Comcast (only premium movie channels like HBO, Showtime and the Encore movie channels are copy protected here). Is Comcast Houston copy-protecting anything else?

Scott

10. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Regular Disney is NOT copy protected. DisneyXD is.

-KP

11. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Still odd (DisneyXD is not copy protected here with Comcast as I indicated). We had a similar issue here once with USA Network back when recording Monk where the channel was switched to copy-protected for a couple of months accidentally (local headend issue). I ended up contacting Comcast's Executive team at the time and they got it resolved.

Scott

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    kpeters59 likes this.
  12. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

13. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I confirmed this tonight. Comcast Houston, I can transfer Disney to another TiVo, but not DisneyXD.