what good is the HR10-250 anymore?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by restino, Jul 17, 2007.

1. restino

restino New Member

Oct 24, 2006

Advertisements

i love my tivos dearly. i hope this plan dtv has to phase them out will turn to black mud and they will send apoligy letters to all of us. i know it will be a very long time before all this new MPEG4 format i believe it is, will happen on a large scale.

my questions are:

1 - what exactly is it that they are doing?

2 - has any of it been implemented yet? and how is it going?

3 - when will my tivos be almost worthless?

4 - does this really mean our tivos will go into the trash and that is that? how terrible to think this.

i really do love my tivos dearly and can't beleive this is happening. especially with the garbage and flawed product that dtv makes. its really too bad that dtv make a poor choice and divorced tivo.

thanks for taking the time to help me understand exaclty what format/channels/time frames all this is about.

2. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    Rather than dwell on answering the other questions, let's focus on this one.

I don't see a HR10-250(HD TiVo through DIRECTV) listed in your sig, so I assume you don't own one, correct? If so, there's no immediate concern for the D-TiVos you already use since MPEG 4 is for HD programming at this point in time.

Unless you're planning to make the leap to HD in the near future, you really have no concern because the MPEG 2 stream should be used for SD for quite some time.

3. fjwagner

fjwagner New Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Deja Vu! I think I see this post every day with a different title!!!

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Bluntly. The HR10-250 will be good for recording OTA HD and DirecTV SD for quite some time.

As pointed out by fjwagner, this question has been asked many times.

5. fjwagner

fjwagner New Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Houston, Tx

Advertisements

Jim - My Grandmother taught for many years at a HS in Binghamton, NY after Oklahoma law required her to retire. My Uncle was on the faculty at the State University there during that time. Just trying to hijack the thread! Fred

6. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    If a long time is less then 2 months then you are correct. ;)

To provide more HD they had to launch new sats. First one went up just a couple weeks ago. The main issue with the HR10 and any older HD receiver is that it can't tune to these new sats. MPEG4 is just a side issue as since DirecTV would need to replace all receivers anyway to tune to the new sats they are going to use MPEG4 as well. Do it all at once so to speak.

Right now the H20, H21 and HR20 are the only 3 receivers that can tune to the new sats and do MPEG4.

MPEG4 HD locals and RSN's have been up for over a year already. New national channels will start up mid September. Current MPEG2 HD will eventually be converted to MPEG4 on the new sats, timeframe unknown, probably by the end of 2008 but could be sooner. Again, we don't know.

Certainly not. If you have SD DirecTivo's they are unaffected. The HR10 will eventually lose the current HD via the sat but will still function just great for OTA HD and SD.

Like I said, they aren't going to the trash unless you put them there. This has been the plan for 3 years now and is the reason I delayed getting an HD DVR until the new ones were out. I wasn't going to spend money on a receiver that wouldn't get the new HD, even if it meant a year delay in being able to record HD. But that was my personal choice.

MUCH more info is available on http://www.dbstalk.com

7. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    And it's going to be asked more and more as we get closer to mid Sept and the word gets out to those that don't frequent these forums much. Thus why I personally think it's important to not flame such posts and just answer them and gently direct them elsewhere if needed. The forum has been much better the past week on this and it feels good.

8. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
  9. drew2k

drew2k Drew != Drawn

Jun 9, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    To the OP: Once my HR10s can no longer receive HD signals from DIRECTV, I plan to retire my SD HDVR2s and run my HR10s as SD DIRECTV DVRs. They have larger drives than the HDVR2s, so they can record more SD programs, and I can use them on any TV in the house.