What features of S2 TIVO without subscription can I use?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by technogal, Oct 1, 2007.

1. technogal

technogal New Member

Jan 30, 2002
    I have an S2 with lifetime subscription and an S2 with no subscription. Can I use the unsubscribed S2 as a dumb DVR and manually record programs? Can I network it with my subscribed S2 for playback?

I'm fearing an unscubscribed TIVO is just a large paper weight. Not happy that TIVO discontinued lifetime subscriptions. The monthly rates are ridiculous. I'd sooner defect to my satellite provider. (Sorry, ranting :mad: )

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

2. crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    It is. The only thing your unsubscribed S2 can do is use the trickplay features (pause, rewind, etc.) in the 30-minute buffer. Can't record, can't network, etc.

3. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    You can still get lifetime subscriptions on new Humax Series 2 TiVo/DVD combos, just so you know.

4. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Not totally true. My AT&T-branded Series 2 works just fine as a manual record unit.

5. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Under certain circumstances if it has been deactivated the right way, not reset, or allowed to connect to the service, perhaps.

There is no real way to say if a particular Series 2, or any Series 2 in general, will work without service, beyond how they are advertised to work without service.

6. Cdshakes

Cdshakes New Member

Sep 18, 2006
    what about shows that have already been recorded? they can still be accessed, right? I have replaced my original series 2 with a dual tuner series 2 and have some shows that i might want to watch again at some point. The now playing list is still there, right?

Colin

7. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    Yes, you can watch recorded programs without a sub.

8. technogal

technogal New Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Well, I guess I'll hook it up and find out soon enough. But it's a "Tivo brand" TIVO so it probably will only do trickplay as Crowfan states.

Falling out of love with TIVO. :(

9. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Could be. I disconnected the phone line and the wireless adapter before doing the cancel.