what does TWC know about cable card 2 spec??

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by ZeoTiVo, Jul 26, 2007.

1. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Dolfer pointed to this in another thread
    What "open Cable Products" are they referring to coming on market in 4Q 07 or 08??
    from http://www.timewarnercable.com/Cincinnati/Products/Cable/CableCard_SA.html
    Bold emphasis added by me

2. davecramer74

davecramer74 New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    The big manufacturers like panasonic, pioneer, sony, cisco (SA), etc are all developing OCHD 2.0 devices. They will be able to sell them directly to the consumers like tivo, etc.

3. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Very interesting they basically said current cable card devices are nearly worthless on their systems but that these new mystical "Open Cable" products will do it all.

I think TiVo has said no more new product releases this year so does anyone think the current Series 3 and TiVo HD are software upgradeable to function as these new "open Cable" products will?

Thanks,

4. davecramer74

davecramer74 New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    well the question is will tivo just make a new box that is OCHD 2? Their S3 and tivohd are certified for 1.0 not 2.0. It would make sense just to make a new one like the rest of the manufacturers are.

5. dolfer

dolfer Miles Standish Proud

Nov 3, 2000
    Milford,...
    The photos for the CableCards offered (Scientific Atlanta and MOtorola) both seem to indicate that it is "M-Card" or Multi-Stream" as those terms are written on the cards themselves.

Here is the Motorola link.

6. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    No.

7. vstone

vstone Active Member

May 11, 2002
    Martinsville...
    TWC does, but your local folk probably don't know much more than the phrase.

8. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    Keep in mind that this "Open Cable" platform is, in fact, totally closed. You'll be able to buy whatever hardware you want, but the cable cartel in your area will determine what software is downloaded to your box (via OCAP).

9. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Ok, but what specific products are these :)

are they just different cable boxes, DVRs , toasters, mini fridges, etc..?
    ok I always say Google is your friend so I did and found this decent article
    I bold ed the product set mentioned
    http://www.edn.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA6462497
    and the products are
    so another step forward but not a very big step. Al;so this OCAP (Open Cable Application Platform) is not (ETA) agreed upon as the one standard to use(/ETA) and a cable company/locale may not have it implemented for use.

10. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    OCAP is a standard - actually it is a whole collection of standards. And they are final and published - see CableLabs's site.

Manufacturers are already testing products that support the CC 2.0 / OCAP standards. But they're very different from the kind of products TiVo makes.

11. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    agreed, to be clear I meant that the cable companies and CEA have not agreed this is the standard they will employ and thus not all cable companies have standardized on using it so their head end will work with it.

I should have said something other than standard :)

12. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Well, the cable companies are all committed to using it - whether the CE industry likes it or not. Basically the cable industry is moving forward with it even if the CE industry doesn't agree with the spec - the CE industry can't stop them and the FCC isn't doing anything about it.

Negotiations continue and it is possible a revised standard may emerge at some point.

13. dolfer

Nov 3, 2000
    Milford,...
    Since I just bought my Tivo HD today at BB... ;)

I will let you guys know how the TW cards work. Hopefully they will have the M-Cards listed on their web site ready to go...

I also just bought the Sony 60A2020. I am *finally* making my transition to HD!

Now I just hope the set up and installation of this new equipment goes well...

14. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    So for example, a DVR would have the same software no matter which brand it is?

The thing I hated about the SA8300HD I had was the SARA software, the hardware seemed fine (except it didn't do OTA, for obvious reasons). Are you saying that if these "Open Cable" products were released, my cable company could decide that all they would be allowed to use were this SARA software?

If so, that sort of defeats the whole purpose of having different products...

15. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    Yup.

Yup. Nobody seems to be able to get the FCC to call the cable cartel on this anti-competitive behavior.

The cable companies are calling it "open" because you'll be able to move your box from one cable company to the other. Of course when you get to the new cable company they will wipe the box (over the wire) and install their software. You'll probably also loose any stored recordings, but hey, it's not like you wanted them anyway, right?

16. JoeSchueller

JoeSchueller New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    I live in Montgomery, and they installed the SA8300HD for me this weekend. The installer made a big deal of telling me how it was their latest and greatest. You can see the cablecard through the top of the STB and it is clearly marked multi-stream. Don't let them tell you for a second that they don't have the m-card.

I now have a TiVo HD on hold at Eastgate. I'm just scared as hell of SDV, so I haven't picked it up yet. I'd love to hear how it goes for you and whether or not you're missing any channels. The chart linked to in the OP is a frightening one.

17. dolfer

Nov 3, 2000
    Milford,...
    joe, thanks for the info as well as the post to my blog. however, what chart are you referring to? the link you sent in the post didn't work.

i am a bit confused on this SDV thing. i am just hoping (and assuming) it will get worked out.

i will not be setting things up until some time after next weekend. i will keep you posted.

i wonder if the SA m-card is better or the motorola?

18. dolfer

Nov 3, 2000
    Milford,...
    Zeo (or anyone who knows!),

According to the chart on the TW link, it seems like the M-Cards (or Open Cable Cards) support SDV. Wouldn't that mean a new Tivo HD with one of these M-Cards could get SDV?

19. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    north carolina
    Open Cable PRODUCT.
    Check this grid. Note that in the paragraphs, they call everything Products, and then in the grid, Product is replaced with Card.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/nc/products/cable/cablecard.html

An M-Card in an Open Cable Product will work with SDV. Tivo does not make an Open Cable Product. An MCard in a Tivo is a UniDriectional Product, and does not get SDV.

20. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    It says on the bottom of the linked page "Your personal needs are your guide to selecting the technology that works best for you." I bet they laughed long and hard when they wrote that.