What does "Transfer using fastest method..." really mean?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by TheManInTheTrees, Dec 6, 2011.

1. TheManInTheTrees

TheManInTheTrees New Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Using TivoDesktop 2.8.2

What does "Transfer using fastest method ..." really mean?

I have experimented transferring with my PC plugged directly into my router (wired) and over my Wireless G (WiFi). Seems pretty much the same speed on wired and wireless connections to my PC. (Also, my Premiere has a wired Ethernet connection).

Thanks.

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    It means downloading in mpeg2 transport stream container (TS) instead of mpeg2 program stream container (PS) which means TiVo doesn't have to re-mux audio & video during the transfer (which results in less CPU load and hence faster transfers). It's only relevant for Series 4 units since earlier models don't support it. TS downloads are much faster than PS downloads from my experience, but PS downloads seem more reliable to me.

3. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    does bandwidth have any bearing with Tivo's downloads?

I've noticed a difference with the time it takes to DL movies from Amazon after I kicked my broadband up to 30 mb...

Before the jump, it might take over 30 min for a movie, now it takes not more then 15 min or less...

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It shouldn't, since the path should be TiVo to router to computer or computer to router to TiVo, without having to go out on the internet at all.

5. jeff92k7

jeff92k7 Annoyed with trolls

Jan 18, 2006
    on planet earth
    You're talking about something completely different. The original post was about Tivo Desktop transfers within the local network. Your question is about internet downloads (Amazon).

To answer your question, yes, increasing your internet connection speed will allow you to download things from the internet faster. However, to bring things back to the original post's question, changing your internet connection speed will not affect transfers from Tivo to Tivo, or Tivo to computer.