What does the Premiere have that the Tivo HD doesn't?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by westside_guy, Aug 14, 2011.

1. westside_guy

westside_guy Annoyingly ephemeral

Mar 13, 2005
    The soggy...
    Right now I've got a Tivo HD in the living room, and a seldom used Series 2 in the workout room - the latter is still on a $6.95/month plan. I've looked at the Premiere, and maybe I'm missing something but - I don't see that it actually offers much over my Tivo HD in terms of what I really care about. I couldn't care less about Pandora on a TV, and Hulu Plus isn't a draw for me (seriously, I got a Tivo so I could skip most commercials).

It seems like the Premiere is basically a Tivo HD with a larger hard drive and 1080P instead of 1080i - I'm not seeing any killer features. What am I missing?

The reason I'm asking is... I'm considering buying another HD and transferring the $6.95/mo subscription over to it. I'm not interested in lifetime right now, since I'm no longer convinced I'm going to be a Tivo subscriber in a year or two.

Thanks!

2. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    More bugs.

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Don't even bother looking at the Premiere if you want to keep your $6.95 grandfathered rate.
    You cannot do a TSN swap with a Premiere.

4. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    If you can transfer the $6.95 rate to a TiVoHD but can not with a Premiere, that would likely be the deciding factor and the TiVoHD would be the better option for you. As far as differences in features, both TiVoHD and Premiere do Pandora but somebody owning both can describe all of the differences since there may be something that would be important. I love my TiVoHDs but would probably prefer the Premiere based on what I have read without ever having used one.

5. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Much faster transfers. To/from computer if you have just one TiVo.

Ability to access from iPad. Including deleting a show. For me, with TiVos around the house this feature is useful.

When going to the menu, you get a Picture-in-picture box so you are still watching a show in the corner, not just looking at menu screen. (I know, not compelling.)

I've had it for about 3 weeks, these are the obvious improvements.
    This goes into more detail;
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=7805472#post7805472

6. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    MUCH faster transfers. Several times faster than real time even for 1080HD material. This makes the use of a media server with menus on the tivo a practical and useful function. It still has too many hangups for HD material on the Series 3 units.

Playback of 1080p24 material in its native form

Playback of 720p h264 material that is not full frame 1280x720 (major bug in Series 3 chipset)

Since my upgrade cost me less than $100 net, I consider it a worthwhile upgrade from the TivoHD. It does have bugs (so does the TivoHD) and the HDUI is not finished, but its still a step up. The financial side is for you to determine 'worth'.

7. ohmark

ohmark Member

May 22, 2007
    Rhapsody not accessible on Series 3.

8. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Rhapsody? What's that?

/ducks and runs

9. RangerOne

RangerOne The Hub

Dec 30, 2006
    It's a music streaming service.

In addition to what has already been mentioned: the Premiere gives you access to Hulu Plus and there's a disk space meter.

10. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I have both a TiVo HD and a Premiere. All things being equal the Premiere is better and provides more extra "stuff":

1. If you are staying with the stock hard drive the Premieres is 2X the TiVo HD
    2. The Premiere is the current platform and will likely receive more future support than the TiVo HD
    3. As noted above, the Premiere has support for Hulu+ and Rhapsody that the TiVo HD does not
    4. Along with the SDUI the Premiere offers a HDUI, the TiVo HD only has a SDUI
    5. File transfers are faster with the Premiere and their is some possibility of Premiere to Premiere streaming in the future.
    However all things are not equal between the TiVo HD and Premiere when it comes to monthly service costs. As noted above the Premiere will not qualify for continuing with your $6.95/mo rate the TiVo HD will. The MSD rate for the Premiere is $14.95/mo. So unless you are willing to buy Lifetime for a Premiere it is going to cost you allot more to own than a TiVo HD.

My advise is to get a Premiere and put lifetime on it that will cost you something less than $500. And I think is a better value than buying a TiVo HD and paying $6.95/mo.

Good Luck,

11. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Is the hard drive on the Premiere as easily user upgradable as it is on the TivoHD yet? I know it wasn't upgradable on first release. Now you can buy larger drives from weaknees, at more than 3x the price of just the drive. Is there a winmfs or jmfs that works for the Premiere? Being able to quickly, easily, and cheaply add a 1TB drive to the TivoHD is nice.

(I'm thinking about upgrading my S2DT. I already have one lifetime 1TB TivoHD.) For me, the only relevant draw of the Premier is the much faster Tivo->PC transfer speed. I use TivoToGo quite a bit.

12. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Since JMFS was designed for the Premiere, I'd say that it probably works pretty well.

13. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Cool. I didn't know that (obviously). I suppose I should look into it. If I can upgrade the Premiere hard drive myself, that'd be my choice. Between the faster transfers and larger hard drive capability (compared to the TivoHD), that's pretty compelling to me (Heck, newegg has 2TB drives for the same price I paid for my 1TB drive a year ago).

14. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
  15. westside_guy

Mar 13, 2005
    The soggy...
    Thanks to all of you for the replies so far - they've been both interesting and informative.

One comment in particular caught my eye, though - if you have two Premieres, you can't transfer shows between them? Or do you mean something else when you say "streaming" in this case?

16. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Transferring != streaming.

17. westside_guy

Mar 13, 2005
    The soggy...
    Right, but one can't always count on a person using the "correct" terminology. :D

So you're saying you CAN transfer shows between Premieres right now - it's just that the possibility exists that a new streaming feature may be added at some point in the future.

18. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Well not exactly.

Yes terminology is sometimes a problem.

The way TiVo accomplishes multi room viewing (MRV) is to transfer a full copy of a show from TiVo A to TiVo B (or a PC). Which results in someone have 2 copies of the show they recorded one copy on TiVo A and another copy on TiVo B. This is not allowed by some cable companies and they set a flag in the shows data that prevents TiVo from copying the file and thus preventing MRV.

One possible way around this would be to not copy the file and instead to stream the data "live" from TiVo A to TiVo B. Effectively you are using TiVo A to play the file and TiVo B to view it. When you stop streaming there is only one copy and it is still on TiVo A.

It appears the Premiere may at some point use streaming to provide MRV however this feature is not currently available and TiVo has not said when or if it will ever be available.

So No Transferring and Streaming while they may effectively accomplish the same thing (MRV) they are not technically the same.

19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Well, yes exactly, because the rest of your post explained that you agreed with me.

20. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Interesting, I think one of us isn't understanding the other.

I understood you to say that transferring shows between 2 TiVos and streaming shows between 2 TiVos was the same thing.

I said they were not the same thing and that file transferring and file streaming are 2 different methods that could be used to accomplish the same thing. Which in this case would be MRV.

Just like I would say that riding a bicycle or riding a horse or driving a car are not the same things, but are different methods that can be used to accomplish the same thing. Which would be to travel from point A to point B.

Thanks,