What does daily call do exactly?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by RLJinCT, Oct 3, 2007.

1. RLJinCT

RLJinCT New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    CT
    I am thinking about replacing my hard drive with a larger one pre-loaded with 6.2 from Weakness. My question is: if I do not connect receiver to phone line to avoid an update to 6.3e (the dreaded problem I and everyone else seem to be having now), what do I miss? It is my understanding that guide data is taken from the satellite directly, so what does the receiver miss out on by leaving the phone line disconnected for possibly a few months?

2. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    Limit your ability to order PPV movies. They then must be ordered through the website or by the phone (you call-extra charge). Messages accrue asking you to connect the phone line.

3. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    I don't consider that a 'limit'. If you order the PPV via the website, you can record it on any/all DTivo units you have in the house, as the programming is sent to all units under your account.

4. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    I did not know that - Thank you - Directv is mum about that feature :up:

5. dtvtivouser_9292

dtvtivouser_9292 cfc62

May 15, 2004
    As for what the daily call does, it's basically snitching on you.

I've only connected to become eligible for software upgrades.

Other than that, neither DirecTV or Tivo have any need to know about my viewing habits. It is nice to hear the the H20 doesn't need the phone line - I may have to go that route given the new mpeg4 channels that just went live, since there's no such thing as a DirecTivoHD.

6. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    It is not snitching on you since none of the information it sends is traceable to your account. The most traceable information it uploads is the zipcode where there unit is configured.

There are two phone calls a DirecTiVo makes. The DirecTV phone call uploads PPV information and may be used for certain sports packages. The PPV may be ordered on the website and there have been conflicting reports of if it is really needed for sports packages. The DirecTV call can not be triggered by the user. It is automatic and happens about once or more if you order PPV movies with the remote. The DirecTV call can be triggered over the satellites by DirecTV.

The TiVo call uploads anonymous viewing data (traceable to your zipcode), debuging informations, and is used to activate new software. This phone call can be forced by the user by making a "Daily Phone Call"

7. dtvtivouser_9292

dtvtivouser_9292 cfc62

May 15, 2004
    Until and unless I see the code that Tivo uses on both the home side and the data processing side, I will consider it snitching.

It is of no benefit to me. I refuse to abide.

8. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    Same here. Haven't had mine plugged into a landline in 2 years. No way I want that buggy ver 6.3, either. Mine are rock solid with ver 6.2 and the zipper.

9. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    The data stream has been analyzed by many people at another forum and it only has the zipcode You can also opt-out of anonymous data collection.