What do you think Premiere Elite should have?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by callejon, Oct 19, 2011.

1. callejon

callejon New Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Don't get me wrong, I have 3 TiVo HDs and I am a fan. But this Premiere Elite is too little, too late for the costs. After you buy the box and lifetime service it's $1000. Couldn't they have added something else to set it apart?

Why no Sirius Radio streaming? Itunes integration? What about some kind of Android OS so you could download stuff from the market or Amazon Appstore?

2. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also TCF Club

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern VA
    4 tuners and 300+ hours of HD was enough for me.

3. callejon

callejon New Member

Jan 3, 2009
    I was hoping that the Premiere Elite could be the total "box" that I could attach to my TV. Right now I have PS3, and apple Tv hoolked up. Then I use my computer to stream Sirius radio to crappy computer speakers. I also have an Android tablet I use for comixology. I was hoping to listen to Howard Stern on my surround sound and read comics on my 47" TV.

4. uw69

uw69 Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Washington
    Functionality of a Roku type box, OTA tuners would have been what I needed to fork over $1K.

5. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I've setup a pretty good system using an Airport Express connected to my sound system and a Airfoil + XMicroplayer running on WinXPSP2 virtual machine to get the sirius to the airport express. For a while I tried using the iPad, but the sirius iPad app is crap, disconnecting frequently. My current system is described here: http://www.smbaker.com/scotts-ipad-digital-audio-optical-receiver-amplifier

Also, I did at one time work on a PyTivo plugin to pipe Sirius onto the Tivo. It worked kinda so-so. The big issue was that it wasn't all that convenient to power on the TV, navigate into PyTivo, find the Sirius app, turn the TV back off, etc., whenever I wanted to run the radio.

I also tried to use the Sirius client in my Onkyo receiver, which also turned out to be junk.

Sirius online radio seems to suffer from a lack of decent reliable client devices.

6. callejon

callejon New Member

Jan 3, 2009
    That is awesome! Nice work!

7. mrsean

mrsean Active Member

May 15, 2006
    New Jersey
    I would have liked the Elite to come with a 3GB user replaceable hard drive. Having only 2GB for a 4 tuner box when I already have that amount for my 2 tuner Premiere makes me sad.

Also, there should have been a $50 rebate for people who already own a Premiere.

8. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
    Another vote for OTA tuners.

9. jfalkingham

jfalkingham Member

Jul 23, 2002
    New Hampshire
    If your Best Buy has one, use this coupon for 10% off:
    http://m.bestbuy.com/mobile/coupons...525062-HOME3.html&ref=39&CJPID=2026489&loc=01

I picked one up today for $449.

10. callejon

callejon New Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Was I the only guy hoping for more? My rooted nook color runs the android market. Don't tell me TiVo couldn't have added that. Isn't the Android OS free? I would like the ability to store more than 2 tb of programs too

11. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Not for $900.

Give it OTA and the Slide Remote then maybe.

12. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Same here. Thats why I wont buy one. Still waiting for a reason to break away from the Series 3 and havent found one yet. :rolleyes:

13. bearcat2000

bearcat2000 Member

Aug 13, 2005
    as a loyal TiVo customer, I asked them if they would throw in a slider remote in addition to my order of Elite with lifetime...they didn't blink and said they would. Happy here.

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Sweet deal. I would love to have received a free BT remote.

15. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    So far TiVo has proven that combination devices are not the way to go. It seems like combination DVR and connected streaming device would be a great product but TiVo has not been able or willing to deliver it.

The Series 3 HD, TiVo HD/XL, & TiVo Premiere/XL are all excellent DVRs. When it comes to using them as a DVR there is very little reason to pick one over the other unless you just want a busy graphical UI.

If someone really wants a connect streaming device they really should just buy a stand alone one, Roku, Apple TV, Boxee Box, Google TV, WD TV Live, etc., they are all superior to a Premiere at streaming media.

It is a shame TiVo missed a golden opportunity but they have missed it. Even if tomorrow they release software that Turned Premieres into a better or at least as good a media streaming device as the stand alone ones I am not sure it would matter.

16. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    To add 4 OTA tuners, it will be well over $1000. My guess is TiVo knows how often OTA users have conflicts and it wasn't worth the price to add them. More people have bought it at the current price point ($500) than they would at $700 even if it had OTA tuners.

17. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Technically you did if you paid $449 for the Elite and bought the Slide for $40 ;).

I am happy with the Elite at the current price. Would I love it to be lower or come with more? Sure. I didn't think twice about picking one up at launch. I keep meaning to try listing my HD with lifetime to see what I can get, but BB is still sold out locally on the Elite so it doesn't matter right now.

18. uw69

uw69 Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Washington
    +1

19. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I think the Elite needs better software, plain and simple. The HD UI is still only half finished and most of the external apps, like Netflix, are severely outdated. TiVo needs to invest the effort into finishing the HD UI and speeding it up as much as possible. Then they need to work on bringing their external apps up to date. They've been resting on their laurels for too long.

4 tuners is great, TiVo to TiVo streaming is great, but the basic user experience is still broken. :thumbsdown:

Dan

20. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Or Tivo left out the OTA tuners so they could make a deal with the Cable companies. Because once a customer invests this much money into an Elite they then won't drop their cable TV. So it makes me wonder if this was something big cable worked out as a condition in the deal with Tivo.

I'm not pointing fingers and understand Tivo needs to make a profit to survive. Business is business after all.

But wouldn't it be great if someone made a stand alone tuner box that could be connected to the Elite for OTA use?