What do you guys think of the slide remote?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Alvysyngr, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Alvysyngr

Alvysyngr Member

Dec 1, 2003
    I've seen them pop up for about $45 - is it any better on batteries? Totally worth it?

2. nycityuser

nycityuser Member

Dec 30, 2004
    New York, NY
    I love mine and am thinking of buying another for a different room.

The best thing is TiVo's responsiveness to this remote - it is super fast. And I don't have to point directly at the TiVo or even be within sight of it. Plus, the keyboard is very handy whenever I need to input alpha information.

I've had mine for a couple of months and have not had to change the batteries. That's not very long so I cannot really say how long the batteries will last.

3. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Yeah, my only criticism of the glo-remote is battery life. With the backlighting disabled, it lasts a lot longer, but then one no longer enjoys the benefits of the backlight. Even with it disabled, though, the bsttery life is not that great. If the battery life of the slide remote is much better, it would be a very significant thing, indeed.

4. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    Glo-remote battery life problem? I have two, one used daily/frequently for the last year and a half and still on original batteries. I can live with that.

5. akc

akc New Member

Mar 13, 2003
    Hi - I asked the same thing two days ago, though slightly askew b/c I also wanted to know how well it worked behind cabinet doors. Here's the thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=475658

Net for me is - good feedback from group, I ordered one, I really like it (and actually like the smaller size b/c everything is reachable naturally). Bluetooth works like a charm behind closed doors, except my receiver doesn't, it still needs IR. I don't think I'll use the keyboard daily, but I just set up my season passes for the fall and the keyboard was great for that.

BUT all in all, I am thrilled with the upgrade and I've had 8 Tivos since the original - I have a WHOLE bunch of peanut remotes around here - I should take a picture! We have the Glo from the Premiere and it's nice too but I do like the slide.

Got it on Amazon for $42 - good advice I got was to get it somewhere that I could return it easily in case there was an initial problem (vs super cheap on eBay). Warranty after that is with Tivo.

Good luck!

6. vitos

vitos New Member

Feb 2, 2003
    New Jersey
    I received one a few months back and immediately noticed the speed and responsiveness of this little sucker! Why is it so fast? Is it because it works over Bluetooth (vs. IR)?

7. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I have 2 slide remotes and really like them. Because they went back to using AA batteries instead of AAA's, the battery life is much better than with a glo-remote. At first I thought the small size of the slide remote would feel odd, but I like it much better and it feels very solid. Luckily I got one of my Slide's for $12 new online a while back. I should have bought 10 at that price before the retailer saw their error and changed the price point.

8. Ziggy86

Ziggy86 Member

Jun 22, 2004
    I hate my slide remote, the only plus is the qwerty keyboard but it seems to always have trouble recognizing when I press the buttons, I have moved the receiver to different places and re-sync it and it is always the same issue. I would not recommend it.

9. nycityuser

nycityuser Member

Dec 30, 2004
    New York, NY
    Gee, you must have a lemon. I have the exact opposite situation. Mine is so responsive that sometimes when I just pick it up and accidentally brush my finger against a button is causes a reaction on the TiVo.

I guess it's YMMV.

10. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ
    I love my slide remote. My only gripe is that both the transport buttons and the directional arrows are arranged in a circular pattern. I often find myself on the wrong circle, hitting left instead of rewind for example.