What Do People Think About the Mini?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by wizwor, May 17, 2015.

1. wizwor

wizwor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2013

Advertisements

I am really enjoying my Roamio OTAs (two). It's only been two weeks, but I am already ready to expand my network a little. I am interested in adding a pair of Minis to the mix.

I have been reading up on the Minis and I believe my best bet is to get two from this ebayer. He has a good reputation and the $120 price will save me $60 off a direct or retail purchase. I think this version, with its RF remote that matches my Roamio remotes, will make it easy for my family to move between televisions.

I only hesitate because I am reading of problems with Netflix on these. Some say these problems are isolated to units shipped directly from TiVo. Of course, if there are problems, it is easier to deal with Best Buy than TiVo or an ebayer.

Can anyone (or everyone) using a Mini v2 with a Roamio OTA comment on issues and concerns? If anyone has purchased from this seller, can you share your experience? Will there be any problems registering this Mini with TiVo (I thought the Lifetime promotion ended earlier this month)?

thank you!

2. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    I just hooked up a mini a few days ago and it works great, just like having a regular tivo in the room. Try it, you might find you don't need that second Tivo. I don't use Netflix since I have HBO, so I can't answer that, but it seems they fixed it according to some new posts. Check out the mini section on the forum.

3. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Works (the Mini) with Netflix and OD via Comcast in my area.

4. Rugged Ron

Rugged Ron Member

Jul 5, 2011
    I purchased a new Roamio Pro earlier this year, and I have six Mini's throughout my house and absolutely love them. They have been operationg flawlessly for me since January. Three are v1 and three are v2, and I have not had any Netflix problems with any of them. The last Mini I purchased was from the dealer you are referencing. The deal went very smoothly; fast shipper and everytrhing was as described. I had no problems registering it through through Tivo. The free subscription promo did end May 4, but now all Mini's have free subscriptions. I have no regrets whatsoever investing in my Mini's.

5. wizwor

wizwor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2013

Advertisements

Can the v2 model (tcda930000) be used wirelessly?

6. StevesWeb

StevesWeb Grumpy Old Geek

Dec 26, 2008
    Geek Hill,...
    We have two TiVo Roamio and a mini. At first we were using a pair of Ethernet Over Power devices to connect the room with the mini. In that setup we had frequent loss of connectivity, but it was clearly not a fault with the Mini because I later switched to using DECA, like MOCA, over the coax already in the room for a DirectTV mini. Once it was on a reliable connection the TiVo mini was completely reliable.

Hard wired Ethernet is the ideal case.

7. rbm11761

rbm11761 New Member

Mar 21, 2015
    Im a new Tivo user, In march I bought a Roamio Plus & 2 minis (ver 2) from amazon running them over a moca network. I only had one issue with one of the mini's it wouldn't connect to the network. I called customer service they had me reboot the Roamio & the mini connected, everything has been running flawlessly for the last 3 months. So far the times we have used Netflix on the mini's we had no issues.

8. reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
    I've got one Mini connected to a Roamio Pro via wired Ethernet network and it works great.

9. Peter G

Peter G Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Wiz,

I have a Roamio basic I use for OTA and 2 minis. All are connectoed over MoCA. System works great. Mini is just like having another TiVo.
    I recently ordered 2 more minis for future expansion, through Tivo. Later I read about issues with Netflix on some recent Minis, so I hooked up both this weekend to check. Both worked fine and connected to Netflix.

As far as I know the lifetime promo on Minis is still going. Mine came pre-authorized since I bought direct from TiVo. I did purchase before May the Fourth since I wasn't sure about the end date of this promo, even though I still need to add 2 more HD TVs in 2 bedrooms.

Good Luck,

Peter G
    I highly recommend the "whole home" network this setup provides. The Roamio is direct connected to of-air antenna, all other devices use the Roamio tuners and the network. I can get Netflix, Amazon Prime, Pandora, Hulu, etc. along with all broadcast networks.

10. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    Minis are widely used. And work fine.

The experience isn't as nice and responsive as using the Roamio directly, but good enough considering the cost and size and lack of a need for another cablecard etc.

11. MVPinFLA

MVPinFLA TiVo Fan

Dec 16, 2003
    South Florida
    I have had my Roamio Pro and Mini for a couple weeks now. The Mini works great except it won't do Netflix. I contacted Tivo and they said that it was a known issue. She said that it should be fixed on the next update 4.8 and she put me on the priority list. I don't understand why some have issues and others don't but they are computers. :D

12. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Minis are real nice, solid state no noise- great for bedrooms.
    I wish it had HBO GO, if it did I'd retire the Roku.
    I wish it could do Kodi, then I could get rid of the Fire Stick (I stream ISO's off my server).

13. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Not. The only difference is the remote. The v2 unit comes with an RF remote, like the Roamio and can use the Slide Pro directly without the need for a dongle. Other then that it's functionally identical to the old one.

That being said I use a v1 Mini with WiFi using a bridge device I bought for like $12 on Amazon. It's a tplink mini router, but it has a bridge mode that allows any device connected to it's Ethernet port connect via WiFi. It works OK. Although I do have issues sometimes with the connection dropping or sometimes I have to reboot the Mini to get it to reconnect. So it's a bit finicky. I use MoCa in another room and it works way better, so if you have coax that's a much better option.

Also keep in mind that the Roamio itself wont allow streaming via it's WiFi connection. You have to use ethernet (or MoCa if you have a Plus/Pro)

14. MVPinFLA

MVPinFLA TiVo Fan

Dec 16, 2003
    South Florida
    My Mini is now working with Netflix after receiving 7a yesterday.

15. wizwor

wizwor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2013
    Thanks for all the good information. I think I will get my Mini from Wal-mart. It's $20 more, but I get half of that back from Discover anyway and I can return the device if there is a problem.

Not sure what I can do about the networking issue. I want to control a TV over my pool table and there is no coax or twisted pair nearby. Worse, the wall is not easily accessible for adding anything. The location is only twelve feet from my AC router, so maybe I can rig something wireless off the ethernet port.

16. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It's only money. True, the majority wants to wire the Mini either through MoCA or Ethernet, but it's not the only solution. You can buy a wired to wireless adapter for the Mini. I only have first hand experience with two. One is the TiVo AN0100. It isn't powerful and only has one port. Another choice is the Linksys WUMC710. I tried the more powerful ASUS EA-N66R, but it failed to stream. These also need power and a PC to configure them. My Mini is not a good device for channel surfing, and it's about the same when wired. I use a Netgear R7500 router, which helps. The Netgear, Linksys and ASUS are 802.11AC and I am using the ASUS on my Roamio on a different floor than the router, but that's not your problem. I hesitate to mention this since TiVo doesn't support such a configuration and I can understand that. So, you have to decide if it's worth the effort and money.

17. siratfus

siratfus Active Member

Oct 3, 2008
    A minor annoyance is that the Mini will sometimes say that it can't connect or play the file you selected. But then a few seconds later, it actually plays it. So it's not as responsive and smooth as your main tivo box.

18. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    While I don't use it more than a few hours daily, I have never had a connection issue. That's wired or wireless. It's response isn't much worse than a Premiere. Not nearly as good as a Roamio.

19. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I love the Mini, especially its money saving aspect, and it does EVERYTHING TiVo claims. It's well worth getting, especially if you don't need a separate TiVo box for that truly separate experience with its extra costs. Can not go wrong with the Mini, IMHO.