what do I need to get netflix on tivo premier

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by zzzoom6, Aug 31, 2011.

1. zzzoom6

zzzoom6 New Member

Jan 28, 2006
    portland, or
    hi all,

I just bought a Tivo Premier (haven't opened it yet) and I am running it to record from my antenna. But I also would like to stream netflix and amazon to it. It appears to not have built in wifi, but I do have a router 12 feet away from where the tivo box will be so running an ethernet cable is do-able. So I guess I'm wondering if that is all I need to do - run an ethernet cable from my router to the Tivo Premier box... Of course I could go wireless, but it seems I need to buy the Tivo dongle which seems to go for around $75. If I can use a cable I already have, I would like to not spend what I don't need to...

I know this is a major noob question and I did search a little bit and couldn't find the exact answer I'm after.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Amazon.com has the adapter for much less. Yes, you can use the ethernet to your router. You would need to have the Tivo subscribed to the Tivo service, as it is a requirement. Login or sign up at tivo.com for an account that will contain the tivo, under DVR Preferences, check the boxes for TRANSFERS and DOWNLOADS. This setting will take about a day to set on the Tivo. Its best to make 4-6 tivo connections until it as the latest software, 14.8. In the menu, there is setting for providers, select Netflix and others you like.

You would also need a Netflix subscription, and follow the setup on tivo, which also required the use of a PC to complete.

3. premiereman

premiereman New Member

Aug 18, 2011
    I highly suggest you look into the TiVo wireless G adapters that are listed on eBay. You could easily find one for under $30. Since the range of your router is relatively close, you should have no issues with picking up a G adapter as opposed to the pricier N adapter (which also requires an adapter to run). Otherwise, running an ethernet cable will work just fine, but it is not aesthetically pleasing at all.

4. bobfrank

bobfrank Active Member

Mar 17, 2005
    I very highly suggest that if it is at all possible that you go hard wired rather than wireless. You will have a much better chance of smooth streaming from Netflix at the maximum quality.

Bob

5. wemetzger

wemetzger New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    San Francisco
    I would also recommend the wired connection or getting wireless-n. When streaming Netflix, I get the highest level "HD" streaming, and the picture quality is quite noticeable from when I used to get just a few bars (Maybe outta 10?) lower. Both were wired connections, but my new house has faster internet.
    I am almost positive that a g-connection will not be fast enough to get the best quality. A N-connection will be fast enough.

Also, just so you know, you DO have to pay extra to Netflix, and their rates are going up this month. I plan on cancelling, or at least taking a break for awhile.

6. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I use a G adapter and my Netflix runs just fine at the highest resolution. One of my Tivo's is pretty far from the router and still works fine.

7. zzzoom6

zzzoom6 New Member

Jan 28, 2006
    portland, or
    wow, thanks all for all the responses! If i don't need another filter/adaptor thing to go between the ethernet cable and the tivo box, I will just run a cable. I already have 2 speaker wires going along where the ethernet cable will go - long term, I'll be routing the cables below the floor, but it's out of the way now so nobody will be tripping over it.

Thanks again for everyone offering their input here - looks like this is a great community!

8. Sep 1, 2011 #8 of 17
    JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Active Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...

if your going to plug into the adapter thats the better way to go if that short of distance. You will get better bandwidth to the router that way. Giveing you a cleaner stream. It will take a few connects to tivo b4 the service will show up. if you want to do wireless thats your call as well but why bother if your router is right there.
    good luck

jack

9. Sep 1, 2011 #9 of 17
    Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    Wireless G is capable of speeds a multiple of the highest Netflix bitrates but of course you do need a good signal to have either G or N to stream highest quality and it may be that it is easier to get a high quality speed with N and it is definitely easier to get those speeds with ethernet cable. I don't know if range is always better with N but in most cases I believe that is true which means I wouldn't buy a G adapter today unless I was sure it would get the speeds needed for everything it will be used for.

10. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Active Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    It maybe but its a wireless signal and you do not get the same speeds that you would get from a direct to router connection. The best connection to a router is always direct. Wireless signlas get lost and can suffer interference

11. premiereman

premiereman New Member

Aug 18, 2011
    This is true, but if you have a decent home broadband connection (10-15+mbps) and your wireless connection is relatively close distance to the base (which is the case here), you shouldn't have a problem handling anything on netflix (including HD) with just a Tivo G adapter.

Two things to remember:

1) If you don't have a simultaneous dual-band router, chances are you will be getting G speeds most of the time anyway with your Tivo wireless N capable adapter if you have other 802.11b/g only capable devices running on your network.

2) G is rated 54mbps which is more than enough bandwidth to handle the "HD of HD" selections on Netflix. Since his connection is relatively close (assuming no interference and not a ton of other devices on the network), he will be getting the same result as with a wired connection IMHO without the ugly look of a cable running through his home. The G adapters are so cheap on 3rd party sites and don't require the use of an external adapter.

Just my .02

12. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Active Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...
    Absolutely not true. Where do you get your information from? A wired connection is typically 100 mbps for an avg router. With the newer routers 2 or 3 years old as high as a 1gbps . So absolutley your not even in the ball park.

13. turbobozz

turbobozz New Member

Sep 21, 2006
    MD/VA
    Reading fail.

14. premiereman

premiereman New Member

Aug 18, 2011
    I never said that a wired ethernet connection gets 54mbps or provided a figure for it, please reread what I wrote. A lot of people are able to stream HD with just a 3mbps internet connection. I think Netflix' max output capability is 720p anyway which has a data stream of roughly 3-6mbps. He won't notice a difference going wired given his setup and assuming his network doesn't use up a ton of resources.

He's not streaming raw content here on a heavy bandwidth network. I use 2 wireless G adapters (different floors) with over 7 devices accessing my network and I have no problems streaming HD content at 720p. Trust me, he'll be alright either way. :up:

15. JACKASTOR

JACKASTOR Active Member

May 26, 2011
    ONTARIO,...

AGAIN ABSOLUTELY INCORRECT.

16. premiereman

premiereman New Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Tell that to my HD streaming, Wireless G connected Tivo Premiere units :)

17. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    He is just stating what you posted is wrong, no idea what part of what you said he believes is wrong but unless he is specific, I can only guess as to what he believes is incorrect. Everything or maybe someting insignificant, who knows at this point? Everything I read of your comments I know to be true but I might have missed something and will wait for JACKASTOR to explain his statements.

His response to your comment about Wireless G where he discusses wired connection makes me believe he has misread your comments.