What do I need to get HDTV?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by NatasNJ, Jan 11, 2006.

1. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly

Advertisements

I have Directv. I have 2 Directivos. I have an oval dish with just 2 LNB's.

I am on the verge of getting a new TV. (HDTV)

So lets say I get the TV. What will/do I need and how much will it cost me to get going with content?

Channels I really care about in HDTV are locals and HBO.
    Sports would be cool as well but I watch 99% of my sports on FOX.

I don't want to aim my dish. Bad experience last time I tried so I will need someone to do that for me. Will the current cable runs of? Anything else I need?

Can I get HDTV for just locals over OTA? And if so will a Tivo HD-DVR work for that?

I live in Philly market so not sure how the mpeg4 thing will affect me.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks..

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    To take advantage of all that DirecTV has to offer with HD, you'll need to add the Sat C kit to your current dish. No realignment should be necessary, maybe a slight tweak.

To get HD from DirecTV you'll need a DirecTV HD receiver. The H10 is a non-TiVo unit and the HR10-250 is the TiVo one. Both will also get you OTA HD. You can also get a standalone OTA HD receiver for your locals.

3. NatasNJ

NatasNJ Bone marrow lover!

Jan 7, 2002
    Philly
    Here is my question then..

I upgrade my dish. Sat C kit. Got it..
    Upgrade my service to include HD. Got it.
    Buy a HR10-250 Unit (only HD DVR currently available) Got it.

My local channels over the dish will be in Mpeg4 correct? Meaning my Tivo unit will not be able to view them?

So I would need a NEW receiver to view those? Or would I be able to hook up a OTA antenna and receive those trhough my Tivo & record them?

4. ssandhoops

ssandhoops New Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Shiloh, Il
    You are correct in that the HR10-250 does not do Mpeg4 and can not receive those HD locals via D*. So, yes you need a new receiver to view the HD locals via D*...but you also need a new 5LNB dish. Your oval dish with the Sat C kit will not pick up the new satellites that are carrying your HD locals. However, you can receive and record those HD locals with an OTA antenna hooked to the HR10-250.