What Comcast Cable Cards are needed?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by campby, Sep 6, 2007.

1. campby

campby New Member

Sep 6, 2007
    When I ordered the TiVio I was told all I needed was a single multi stream card from Comcast. They came and installed the card but I quickly found out that I can not record one channel and watch another. When I called TiVo they said a software upgrade was being developed and no time frame for release was given. TiVo said I now need two cards? I'm also having a problem with my existing cable card that does not allow all my channels to be displayed even after two additional hits from Comcast. Does anyone know what I should use or should I return the TiVo and go back to Comcast DVR? Also can I watch Comcast pay preview channels? :mad:

2. acvthree

acvthree Active Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Carrollton,...
    Which Tivo do you have? The older Series 3 or the newer Tivo HD?

Al

3. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    If you have the new $250-$299 TivoHD, you only need one multi-stream CableCard (MCARD). If Comcast doesn't have multi-stream CableCards (MCARDs) in stock, then you need two of the older 'S' CableCards.

If you have the older $500-$800 Tivo Series3, then you currently need two CableCards regardless.

If you can't see your premium digital channels, then it sounds like Comcast didn't correctly activate your Tivo anyway. Next time, do not let Comcast leave until your premium cable channels are working. The Tivo does not support VOD, but it will support PPV channels, but you've got to order PPV content over the phone.

4. campby

campby New Member

Sep 6, 2007
    I have the HD3 that has 300 hour THX model from the TiVio web site series 3. TiVo is the one now telling me that a software upgrade is needed but not ready to be released and no release date in sight. Now I'm not sure what card or cards I need.

5. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    For that model, you need two CableCards to support dual-tuners. The type of CableCard does not matter.

Only the new $250-$299 TivoHD supports both tuners with a single CableCard.

When you called Tivo, they probably thought you meant the new TivoHD, rather than the older 300-hour THX Series3.