What Christmas shows are you watching?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Alfer, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003

Advertisements

Well it's hard to believe it's that time of year, but some of my fav Xmas shows are already airing or about to air.

I've already watched How the Grinch Stole Christmas (cartoon) with the kiddos...they weren't as into it as I was since I grew up watching it every year for the last ohhhh 40+ years.. :)

We've watch our DVR'd copy of Elf several times.

I've set up recordings for Miracle on 34th (B&W), Home Alone and waiting for the guide start listing some others.

So what are your go to Christmas shows this time of year ? (assuming you like this sort of thing).

Oh and one of our local radio channels just switched to all Xmas music today.

:)

2. MonsterJoe

MonsterJoe Travels for Food

Feb 19, 2003
    Central MA
    Elf has become a recent tradition.

as is Polar Express.

I also like The Night They Saved Christmas and managed to find a torrent for it this year (major score since it's not available on DVD)

...I'll watch all of them. I love Christmas.

3. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I own the Miracle on 34th Street DVD, so I'll definitely watch that again. Probably Christmas Story, too, and, of course, It's a Wonderful Life. Other than that, it'll be NCAA football games. In our house, college football bowl games _are_ holiday shows. Does Nov 30th count? That's the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show, and it is probably holiday themed.

Maybe Elf. I've never seen it, but it seems popular and well-liked.

4. raebyddet

raebyddet Person

Oct 21, 2003
    Maryland
    Elf and Love Actually seem to be our most recent traditions. The Home Alone (1 and 2) movies always seem to be popular in our and relatives houses around the holiday season. Not sure that those are all particularly Christmas specific, but they seem to fit the season.

I always remember watching Planes, Trains, and Automobiles at school before Christmas break it was always on TNT or TBS one of those.

We can't ever make it with out a viewing of A Christmas Story either.

5. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003

Advertisements

Love A Christmas Story...been a tradition with me since late 80's or early 90's when it hit VHS.

It's a Wonderful Life is also a must see.

Elf has turned into a Christmas classic for us...

6. Eitel

Eitel Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2003
    Covid Central
    Bad Santa :D

7. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    That's because it's not :p It's time for Thanksgiving shows; the Xmas ones shouldn't start airing until next week.

...And you kids stay off my lawn! :mad: ;)

ObOnTopic: I don't have any must-sees, although the Charlie Brown one is nice for old times' sake. I used to love A Christmas Story, but the 24hr marathon that one channel does has kind of killed it for me.

8. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Thanksgiving shows!!?? What Thanksgiving shows?? I don't think I've ever watched one...I tried the Charlie Brown one, but it just didn't have the same feel as the Xmas one does.

9. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    I'm just sayin', if there were Thxgiving shows, now would be the time for 'em :)

10. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Ok...I'll let you have your Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade shows....:D

11. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I've got all the old classic Rudolph/Frosty movies on DVD, so I may pull those out. We also have A Christmas Story, as well as Love Actually, so those will probably get watched as well.

However, our Christmas movie tradition is to watch The Ref (with Dennis Leary) on Christmas. It's a blast to watch every year. We did watch Zack and Miri last Christmas Eve. That may get watched again, but without our son present. :)

12. Maui

Maui Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    It's a Wonderful Life
    Scrooge with Alistair Sim
    How the Grinch Stole Christmas (animated)

Those are my staples every year.

Love Actually
    Elf

These two are moving up the list

Then I will usually add in a classic movie or two when I see them on. Things like Miracle on 34th St and The Bishops Wife, etc.

13. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Anyone else like Scrooge..the Albert Finney version?

I always enjoy that one when it shows up on TV..which has been rare over the last few Xmas seasons.

14. jilter

jilter Not.

Oct 4, 2002
    I have not been able to pull my kids in yet, but I now have
    digitally:

O'Henry's Full House
    Holiday Inn
    Miracle on 34th Street (original only please!)
    It's a Wonderful Life

I am currently compiling all my favorite Christmas episodes from television.

I am Old School <grin>

15. BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I just went through the Tivo the other night looking for shows.

Grinch
    Santa Claus is Coming to Town
    National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
    Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
    Muppet Christmas Carol
    Miracle on 34th Street
    Polar Express

It's a Wonderful Life wasn't listed yet.

I was disappointed that Miracle on 34th Street was the only Chrismtas show I could find streaming on Netflix. I hope they add some. I would rather get them uncut and commercial free.

Can you tell I like Christmas?? :p

16. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I do love watching It's a Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th street (Natalie Wood/BW version). But that's mostly me in my house, and if I find them on. I don't have them on DVD, nor have I set up a wishlist for them. But if I see them, I watch them.

17. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    Love, Actually is the only movie I make sure to watch every Christmas season. We usually watch Dan In Real Life over Thanksgiving, because even though that's not a holiday movie, it reminds us of when the whole fandamily is staying at one house.

18. keirgrey

keirgrey Old Man Vicious

Nov 20, 2001
    Philly
    Muppet Christmas Carol
    Johnny Bravo Christmas
    Stephen Colbert Christmas
    Elf

19. rockislandmike

rockislandmike Gloss Drops Rosebuds

Sep 19, 2005
    Edmonton Canada
    None .... I have an intense dislike for Christmas shows that are shown every year. I do enjoy the holiday-specific episodes of sitcoms (Christmas, T-giving, Halloween), but that's about it.

20. Enrique

Enrique Well-Known Member

May 15, 2006
    SAW III. It's almost like watching my family during Christmas. :)