What can I expect to get ?????

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by mooondog, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Aug 6, 2007 #1 of 19
    mooondog

mooondog New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    My HR10-250 crapped out after a year of service. It went downhill fast. Yesterday it started rebooting by itself every 25 minutes or so. After dealing with D*, decided to wipe it clean. Got permanently stuck in the "Wiping the drive clean, This will take an hour" mode. I'm talking overnight for 8+ hours.

I bought the HR10 at Best Buy for about $500.

They said they'd send a new one out to me for "free". What does "free" mean to D*? What model should I expect to receive?

Thanks

PS --- they told me to just dispose of the HR10.

2. Aug 6, 2007 #2 of 19
    mitkraft

mitkraft Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Texas
    Well, it wasn't clear in your post if you believed this as well, but the first thing you can expect to get is an Dtv HD DVR (HR20 is it?) and not a Tivo. I'm not 100% since I haven't had my ear to the ground in that arena for a while but last I heard anytime an HR10-250 breaks they were replacing it with their DVR's and not with another HR10-250.

As far as cost, I think "free" really does mean "free" to Dtv. Although you may have a new 2-year commitment as a result. Oh, and you probably won't own the new box. It will most likely be a leased unit.

Like I said though, I haven't had my ear to the ground in that arena so if someone knows what I say to be wrong please set us straight.

3. Aug 6, 2007 #3 of 19
    TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    It WILL be an HR20, you WILL have to extend your commitment by two years and it WILL be leased.

For information, the HR10-250 is NOT a TiVo. It's a DirecTV receiver with TiVo service and yes, there is a difference. Many people who have TiVo come here wondering why their D* box doesn't have all the TiVo features and this is the reason. Apologies if you think I'm being picky, but I'm not - just clarifying.

If they're sending it free, it will be free. Usually, they charge $19.95 S&H, but it sounds like they even waived that.

4. Aug 6, 2007 #4 of 19
    mooondog

mooondog New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Thanks. Well, I'll be finding out in a couple of days and will report back.

TonyTheTiger -- thanks for your info as well.

5. Aug 6, 2007 #5 of 19
    wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    To confirm you will receive the HR20 Directv DVR. It has Directv's in house Software loaded. It is not a Tivo.

You will have Two years added to your Account (Commitment) and the unit will indeed be "Leased".

But there are some good things.

1. The Directv HR20 works with Mpeg4, something the HR10 does not work with. And Directv is moving to all Mpeg4 HD channels.

2. Directv and Tivo may join forces again.

3. It is the way of the future.

6. Aug 7, 2007 #6 of 19
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Tony, please edit you post to say that the HR20 is not a TiVo. It currently says HR10. :) We don't need any more confusion around than we already have. :D

7. Aug 7, 2007 #7 of 19
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL New Member

May 10, 2005

If you actually get all of what he said it makes sense, but if you only cut out what you want to read it doesn't.

He said:

"For information, the HR10-250 is NOT a TiVo. It's a DirecTV receiver with TiVo service "

Which is completely correct. TiVo didn't make the box.

8. Aug 7, 2007 #8 of 19
    mitkraft

mitkraft Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Texas
    Tivo Didn't make my Philips HDR212 but it sure as heck IS a tivo. And it doesn't do anything my HR10-250 can't do so I'm going to have to vote with JimSpence here and say that it is indeed a Tivo.

I "get" what TonyTheTiger said but I just don't agree with it.

9. Aug 7, 2007 #9 of 19
    TonyTheTiger

Dec 22, 2006
    No, Jim, it's what I meant to say (as already pointed out).

The confusion comes from those who come here wondering why they can't get all of TiVo's features from their D* box. The reason is as I stated - a D* box is NOT a TiVo.

Sure, it's a lot closer to TiVo than the HR20, which is just barely a DVR (that DOESN'T run TiVo software), but it is NOT a TiVo, it is not supported by TiVo and TiVo doesn't even collect the subscription fee (well, not directly anyway!).

Oh and mitkraft, whether you agree with it or not, I didn't state an opinion, I stated a fact, so feel free to be wrong if you want.

10. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Here's my understanding of what is "Tivo":

It could be wrong, but I'd lay long odds that it is correct.

"Tivo" the company, is a software company. All hardware that contains the Tivo OS is built by 3rd-party manufacturers. Software is useless without a platform to run it, and since it can't (yet) run on a PC or Mac, then by default, every Tivo OS runs on a proprietary hardware platform of some kind.

That would mean that every "Tivo" (speaking of the hardware) is not really the hardware, but is technically just the software OS running on that hardware. On the other hand, we who buy, own and love "Tivo", have customarily come to refer to the box itself colloquially, as a Tivo, but Tivo the company likes to think of the hardware as somewhat agnostic (even if propietary) and that "Tivo" is really just the OS that powers that platform. Technically, that is correct. After all, they own the name, the software, and the company, so they get to position the product any way they want, and this strategic positioning leaves the door open for inclusion of "Tivo" in other products, such as DVD recorders and computers.

Additionally, a Tivo platform that also contains a DTV receiver has always been customarily referred to as a "DirecTivo", although I don't think any of us have ever seen that name in official literature or directly on the badging.

So everybody is right. Tivo is software, and Tivo is a software company, and the platforms that run that software are "Tivos" by default regarding common usage (even if technically incorrect) of the term. The verb "Tivo" even means to record TV programs to a HDD in common usage.

Do we really need to split the atom over what this really means? I think we can all agree to let "Tivo" the company define what "Tivo" means, yet they will have to accept that the term is so popular that it has grown in meaning to encompass other meanings, none of which affects other products like the HR20, other than the CSR's who still like to claim "Oh, it has Tivo in it.", which is just so wrong I want to beat their pointed little heads against a wall (sorry...I had a little spell just there...I'm all better now). To take the explanation any further would be to split hairs needlessly (and many will confirm my expert status at that :)).

So the "information" given for the purpose of "clarifying", seems to have had quite the opposite effect, but hopefully we can put now this line of inquiry to bed.

11. mitkraft

mitkraft Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Texas
    Nice :rolleyes:

12. TonyTheTiger

Dec 22, 2006
    Seems that some people can't handle the truth!

Anyway, my point was to help not to insult. If anyone took it whe wrong way, then I apologize.

In the words of Joe Friday - "Just the facts, Ma'am"

13. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Since everyone else is bit**ing and moaning thought I might join in too :D

You are incorrect!

Tivo is not just a Software Company. The Series 2 and 3 units are in fact built by Tivo making them a Hardware Company to.

Other components like the Wireless Adapter are in fact built by Tivo also.

I for one agree with Tony The Tiger:

The HR10-250 is NOT a Tivo. It is in fact a Directv/Tivo unit. The unit and services are all provided by Directv. Tivo only provided the Software package.

Other wise, you would be paying Tivo a Subscription for it, not Directv.

There. Now that the nit picking is over, hope all have a great evening :D

14. mooondog

mooondog New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Got the HR20 today. Unplugged my regular HD receiver. Plugged in the HR20. I get nothing but a fierce horizontal scrolling. Could not fix it. They are sending a tech out.

What could it be? My regular HD receiver works perfectly fine, I just hooked it back up. When I plug in the HR20, I can barely make out DirecTV logo and some other words as they are flying accross the screen. I thought maybe it was the format but it won't let me change it. I can't even go through the set up process because I can't see a damn thing.

I'm using the same exact component video cables from the regular HD receiver. Makes no sense to me.

Arghhhhhh!!!

15. JJ

JJ TiVoPlantation Owner

Jul 14, 2000
    Land of...
    If your HR10-250
    was covered by DirecTV protection plan you should INSIST on the replacement being owned and not leased. I'm glad in the end that I did not fall into that trap. This meant when I bailed out of DirecTV I had a HR20-700 that was mine to do whatever I wanted with. DirecTVcorporate bullying should never be used to cheat you of your property. Also remember that if hardware is replaced under protection plan there should be no extension of commitment...

16. mitkraft

mitkraft Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Texas
    I'm hedging my bet on 1 of two problems

1) two of your component cables are flip/flopped

2) the dvr is set to a resolution that your tv doesn't like.

Let us know what the fix turns out to be.

17. mooondog

mooondog New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Thanks. I don't think it's #1. I checked a few times.

I think it's #2. But, unlike the HR10, it will not let me manually select the resolution. When I had the HR10 and the picture got whacked out (looking exactly like the picture looks now), I knew someone had accidentally changed the resulution and I would change it back to fix the picture.

I'll let y'all know how it goes.

18. mooondog

mooondog New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    I decided to try setting it up on another TV. It worked!! After completing the setup, I hooked it back up to the original TV that was giving me problems. During boot up, the picture was all screwed up. After boot up finished, I was then able to change the resolution to work on that TV.

To clarify... the TV that gave me problems is a Mitsubishi WS-55711. It's a rear projection HDTV that is about 4 years old or so. Keep in mind, NO PROBLEM on this TV with the regular DirecTV HD receiver.

The TV that had no issues is 1+ years old 42" Samsumg LCD.

19. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    So the Factory resolutions on the HR20 did not like the New TV, but glad its all sorted out and working now :D