What are your alternatives?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by kathpdx, May 23, 2011.

1. kathpdx

kathpdx New Member

May 27, 2006
    After such a horrid experience with the Premiere which I bought right out of the gate (early adopter lesson!!), and a year of suffering that only ended up with Tivo sending me a refurbished Premiere, I have finally started to try to assemble information on alternatives to Tivo. Since (as Molly Wood states) Tivo has left me, I want to plan my exit and leave Tivo.

What alternate set ups do you have or have you considered?

Many thanks!

2. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Based on the thread title, I thought maybe this was a life-style self-help topic. :)

Maybe we're better off without hearing the details of the "year of suffering" but in case you're wondering **here** is the Molly Woods link. Her blog is funny because she says "after 10 years of waiting" yet it's clear that for most of the 10 years she loved her TiVo. :confused: And neither the OP nor Molly even mentioned the Tuning Adapter!

Molly's answer as an alternative was ATT UVerse. eBooks are nice too.

3. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    All snarky comments aside, here's some actual help:

Well, your options include the Cablecard solutions coming out for PC's - you could do a HME box of some sort, but it doesn't sound like you have the appetite for that.

There's also whatever DVR's your cable provider (or FiOS or Uverse if available) offers, which may or may not be any good - there's a HUGE spread between companies. Unfortunately without knowing who you'd be going with it's difficult to say anything.

There's also the satellite companies - the Dish Slingloaded vip922 seems to be one of the best reviewed there.

Finally, if you just want to look at a different take on the DVR, there's also Moxi - http://www.moxi.com - their model is large cost up front but no monthly subscription or anything like that.

You've got some research to do if you're really deciding to leave Tivo! Unfortunately, I don't think any of the other options make it as easy as Tivo does - so it's kind of a "possible? yes, but..." deal.

4. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    If you are tech Savvy, the MediaCenter PC is real and works with a few limitations (no HD Netflix, etc.). It's cost of entry is higher than a Tivo but there are no monthly fees.

If you need to watch your content and TV in more than one location though, you'll need to either pony up for additional PCs or put a media extender at each set- with its own set of issues to work through.

If it weren't Tivo with me, this would definitely be how I would go.

Google "Media Center PC" and go crazy.

5. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    It would be good to hear what is so "horrid."

Nonetheless, a THD would work out as an option.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Have you tried the DVR the cable company offers? Some of them aren't that bad. (some are)

If you can do it you should look into Dish or DirecTV. They both offer over 150 HD channels, compared to most cable companies who offer 40-50, and their DVRs aren't that bad based on what I've read.

Dan

7. PaJo

PaJo New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    highspire,pa...
    We have had several Tivos since our first Series 1 Dtivo and I loved them all, but admit I really hated when Tivo changed the Showcases to ads only- back in the series 1 days I could find great videos listed in the showcases. I have doubts I will replace the HD Tivo we have now if it dies. Tivo was great for us, we recorded a lot of things but these days we find Netflix on the Roku has many videos we enjoy watching, and we have a little Asus media player that will play various files from a hard drive. The two of them together did not cost as much as one HD Tivo. We really don't use the Tivo for recording much at all. I never thought I would say it but I tell people I now hate fast forwarding through commercials, with Netflix, Amazon etc there are no commercials, and our little media player will play every file in a folder if we let it, great for commercial free "marathons".

on edit: We are considering dropping all our TV subscriptions, and just rely on the net, but probably will not do it until the HD Tivo dies.