What are you going to do with your Series 3 HD after you get your Upgrade BOLT and more service?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by mrcowboy99, Apr 12, 2017.

1. mrcowboy99

mrcowboy99 New Member

Feb 26, 2012

Advertisements

I don't know what to do with my Series 3 HD after I finish moving my LT service to my new BOLT. (received thru the $99 lifetime move to BOLT upgrade offer) Any suggestion besides taking it to a electronic disposal company?

Mikeguy likes this.
  2. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Parts is about all it is worth. Used to be some demand for the working power supplies, but after this deal gets all done, between the fewer old boxes still in use and the thousands of them recently decommissioned, maybe nobody will even want those.

I do suggest you pull the HDD - those can be used by anyone in a computer or external dock, especially if it is 1TB or larger. I use a lot of loose drives for both backups and movie storage. Even if you do not want it, no harm in offering it to others for the cost of shipping in a small flat-rate box. I hate to see usable stuff just thrown away.

Mikeguy likes this.
  3. George Cifranci

George Cifranci TiVo Bolt 500GB - TE4 UI

Jan 30, 2003
    Columbus,...
    I might just put my Series 3 (THX-OLED) on eBay for parts. It still works fine. Such a shame since it still makes a decent OTA only DVR. I took the original 250GB drive out 10 years ago before even powering it on to install a larger drive I got from Weaknees. After my 2TB internal died (which was the 2nd internal drive to die in the time I had it) I put the 250GB back in it maybe 6 months ago (I had dropped cable around that time and was just doing OTA). I still have a Series 1 and 2 sitting around doing nothing as well.

Mikeguy likes this.
  4. TheCryptkeeper

TheCryptkeeper Active Member

Dec 31, 2009
    My TiVo HD has been a faithful work horse for nearly nine years. It's still in great condition. Like you, I feel bad just throwing it away. But I suspect there will not be much demand for it after this upgrade offer, even for parts. I guess I'll take the upgraded 2 TB WD hard drive out of it and put it inside my computer to back up my recordings that are not copy protected, then I'll sadly say goodbye to my old friend.

justen_m, Mikeguy and KyleLC like this.
  5. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA

Advertisements

Put it with the 2 S1's in the basement? :(

Scott

6. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I upgraded mine to a 1TB drive, so I'll pull that. I can use it in a PC. Then I'll just stack up it on a couple of S2s I have sitting in a corner.

7. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I wish that TiVo simply could turn all the advanced features off and have these boxes function simply as manual DVRs/tuners--seems like such a shame and waste.

KyleLC likes this.
  8. teasip

teasip Member

Aug 24, 2002
    I assume folks will still be able to access previously recorded programming?

9. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Correct.

Scott

10. reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Saving one for parts, specifically the power supply which is still good. I have another Tivo HD that's still in operation.

11. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007

If I still had my THX-OLED, I would upgrade the motherboard and turn it into an HTPC - you could tie into the OLED screen and do something pretty cool...

Other then that, it is really just scrap.

12. Gold51

Gold51 The slow road, has the most adventure.

Apr 19, 2017
    Cape Coral
    I'm glad so many had good service value with their S3 boxes. I really wanted a new S3 to replace my 2004 S2, but the $1000 or so for the new box W/Lifetime made me hang on to my S2 w/Lifetime. I am just now buying a couple of decent used S4s to set up for OTA. I had a jaundiced eye when I looked at the new model Roamios and Bolts at Best Buy= they looked like they were built to a cheap price point. I wish I could have been a mouse listening in the room full of TIVO design engineers who thought a "white" dog leg box design was a good idea for a home entertainment layout. I think their engineering focus groups must have ignored consumer testing opinions. Apple did that, too. No headphone phone jack= no more new iPhones for me.

13. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Someone could still use an unsubscribed S3 as an OTA digital to analog converter for an old TV, but it wouldn't have any channel information, just the number and it would have a large footprint. They could toggle between two shows that were on at the same time.

14. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    We had 2 S1's back then from 2000 and 2002 and took advantage of the S3 OLED lifetime transfer in Dec 2006/Jan 2007 for both but only after the price dropped to $800 total for each ($600 for the S3 and $199 for the transfer). Still a lot of money for us at the time, but have been very happy with them. We only upgraded to the Roamio Pro in October 2015 due to the impending Comcast MPEG4 change and the increase in lifetime/All-in service and the fact that TiVo was offering the loyalty deal so only $600 with lifetime. Can't complain about almost 9 years of service. :)

Scott

15. InFromTheCold

InFromTheCold Member

May 28, 2008
    NY, NY
    So many of my HD's recordings were not able to be transferred to my new Bolt due to TWC's restrictions that it looks like I'll be viewing programs on it for a long time to come. Once I'm done watching them, I thought I'd still hold onto the box.

Does the following seem like a reasonable idea? I was going to re-run Guided Setup tonight (before the HD becomes deactivated, whenever Tivo gets around to doing that), for OTA viewing (mostly because my CableCard is now in the Bolt). And apart from watching the old recordings, use the HD for live viewing of OTA programming (assuming that function will still be possible) in the event that 4 tuners on the Bolt aren't enough (unlikely), or when cable goes out (which happens only rarely). Once Tivo deactivates it, it shouldn't try to record programs any more, correct? So it wouldn't use much electricity, except if I'm watching?